Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Mirror (Panahi) 5/10

Good movie, anything I say would be a spoiler. I found this in my library when I needed another VHS to fill my 6 video quota (3 DVD, 3 VHS).

Much that once was is lost
The Theory of Everything

Big disappointment. I expected a movie about Stephen Hawking's achievements in Physics, but the film is mainly focused on his relationship with his wife and his illness. The actor is really great, but the story is not very interesting. I don't understand why this film is nominated for best movie.

The Graduate (1967)

It's been a long time since I last seen this, and unless I just didn't get the humor when I was younger, I forgot it was there. I thought it was brilliant at times, but I also thought it went slightly downhill once the daughter entered the picture. The very end of the movie, when he's staring straight ahead, kind of got me wondering if he actually loved her, or if it was all just a challenge for him. Not quite a top tier favorite for me, but I could picture it being so with some repeat viewings.

The Graduate is a favourite of mine that will surely make my 60s list, I'm glad you liked it this time round. It definitely has its fair share of laughs, I love the part where he's running and get's on the bus and goes "Well, how about this for a coincidence?". Hopefully it will place high up on the overall list

The Illusionist is one of the most depressing films I have seen in a while. It's ending is one of the best I have seen. Unfortunately, most of the film was kind of boring and felt like filler. If the (filler) scenes were longer or were funnier, then I probably would't have a problem.

Overall, I'll call The Illusionist a good film overall.

Inherent Vice (2014)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Wanted - 5/10

Pretty generic, the stylized action sequences with the slo-mo bullets didn't really do it for me. Plus the film copied way too much from Star Wars. I've never read the comic book so I don't know how closely the plot follows the comic, but:

Guy learns he has special powers and is trained to be a Jedi... I mean assassin.

Guy is told that his father was a great Jedi... I mean assassin, and was murdered by a former member of the assassins' group

Guy learns that the man he thought murdered his father really is his father... etc. You get the picture.

Also the title "Wanted" didn't have much anything to do with the film.

Seven Days In May - 6.5/10 - Thanks to whoever recommended this

I think this is almost what happened in 1963, only it didn't turn out successfully. Kennedy killed, we go into Vietnam. The CIA is more dangerous than Eyessuss.

Witness For The Prosecution (Wilder) - 6/10

Billy Wilder is one of my favorite directors ever, at least when it comes to dramas (don't like his comedies, well written, but not for me), but this was my least favorite drama. I could go the rest of my life without seeing detective whodunnit's. Still worth a watch.

My laptop is practically broken so I can't watch any films on it for now (I'm getting a new one this weekend). Therefore, I've been watching some more films from my DVD collection.

The last two I watched were these two minor Wilder classics:

The Front Page (1974)

This is simply a whole lot of fun. Lemmon and Matthau are a great comedy duo!

A Foreign Affair (1948)

Great post-war comedy with some satisfying dramatic moments along the way. Also: Marlene Dietrich (and Jean Arthur, she's an absolute hoot in this film)!

+

I've now seen 10 Billy Wilder films. I've seen his most popular stuff already, but there are still quite a few highly praised gems of his that I need to watch in the future. I'm very much looking forward to those!

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Foxcatcher, 2014
Dir: Bennet Miller

A very cold and solemn film about the strange, twisted and detrimental relationship between three men involved in the world of wrestling. Mostly, I found it to be a movie about delusion. Delusion about the true nature of someone whose role is that of father, coach, friend and mentor. Delusion about the greatness of a country and nationalist glorification. Delusion about oneself and one's view of the world.

All three starring performances were solid, but it was Steve Carrell as John du Pont who stole the show. His performance was quiet but menacing, maintaining an aura of threat throughout the film. There was a sense of discomfort every time he appeared on screen, his character's mental illness and distortion are implied through every detail, building up until the climax towards the end of the film.

It was also very well-directed. Not all loose ends were tied in the story (I am still wondering what is it that really drove du Pont to madness, which, besides from a petty desire to both impress and prove his mother wrong goes largely unexplained) but the atmosphere of confinement was conveyed well despite the setting of a grand Philadelphia estate.

Whilst engrossed, I did not really enjoy watching many parts of it in the conventional sense (the unfriendliness of it makes it difficult to enjoy as a form of entertainment), but it did provoke a lot of thoughts and created a disturbing impact, so it was quite a successful film in that sense.

7/10

The spongebob movie sponge out of water

The Wedding Ringer (2015)

This is Kevin Hart's best comedy so far in my opinion.

I wasn't expecting much from it going in but was surprised at how funny and entertaining it was. It's no high-caliber screenwriting and acting of course, but, for what it's worth, still enjoyable.

Lord High Filmquisitor

Don Jon - 7.5/10

Although I am generally not much of a fan of its genre (athough I feel deprived of it when with my girlfriend, who absolutely loathes rom coms), Don Jon is one of the best, most intelligent and ultimately enjoyable romantic comedies around. It confidently addresses issues of media, familial and societal influence on the individuals expectations in love (both romantic and physical) and has some really intelligent jabs at both the social construct of church and the filial church-goers (while never going so far as to be outright attacks on either).

Enemy - 7.5/10

This is basically the arthouse love-child of Fight Club and Vertigo. It's easily the second most interesting movie and second most intellectually rewarding film to come out last year (losing out on both counts to Under the Skin) and definitely one that I will be rewatching (and reviewing in further depth) in the reasonably near future.

From Dusk Till Dawn - 9/10