Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Interview (2014)

I've always found Rogen and Franco to be very likable, but I haven't cared for any of their comedies the last few years. This one surprised me; I thought it was very funny and entertaining.

Not currently on fire...
I love this thread, so much variation between the films we all watch.

Minnesota Clay (1964) dir. Sergio Corubucci

Cameron Mitchell stars in this early Spaghetti Western, while not as ground breaking as the parallel film made by his friend Sergio Leone, Corbucci more directly influenced the Spaghetti boom of the late 1960s and introduces the eponymous black-clad anti-hero and a few other genre clichés in what is a pretty entertaining Western that should appeal to fans of the American and Italian genres.

Lord High Filmquisitor

The Guest - 8/10

It looks and sounds a lot like Drive, plus the main guy looks like Ryan Gosling had a Southern love-baby with Tom Hardy. It's an incredibly well-shot, 80's styled action / horror / thriller with an absurdly charismatic lead. I can't wait to see Dan Stevens in more films, given the incredible job that he did carrying the weight of this one.

The Interview (2014)

I've always found Rogen and Franco to be very likable, but I haven't cared for any of their comedies the last few years. This one surprised me; I thought it was very funny and entertaining.

The movie was very funny, especially the beginning scenes which i will not spoiler but i laughed so hard

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
St. Vincent, 2014
Dir: Theodore Melfi

I don't have much to say about it. It was sweet and the humor was pleasant. Nothing truly stunning: it is not some shining example of comedic genius but it does the job.

6/10

High Noon (1952)

Classic film that tackles courage and cowardness in a smart, sensitive and very satisfying manner. Gary Cooper is fantastic.

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

I didn't think this was that well received, but I want to see Winter Soldier, so I figured I'd watch this first. It has kind of an old fashioned style which added a lot for me. It's very well made, reasonably well acted, I loved the settings, and I ended up enjoying it thoroughly.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
High Noon (1952)

Classic film that tackles courage and cowardness in a smart, sensitive and very satisfying manner. Gary Cooper is fantastic.

One of my favorites from the 50s! Glad you liked it!

Since there's a lot of new members, just wanna stop by and remind everyone that Movie Tab II is the far superior thread.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Killer of Sheep (1978 Charles Burnett)

When I was getting ready to watch this I kept thinking Charles Burnett...I know I've seen something else of his. A few minutes in it clicked that I had seen a short of his When it Rains for a short film HoF. It was easy to see his style and flavor in both films.

It's another film along the lines of Chop Shop & Ballast that are super-realistic with not much plot, but are more about capturing a slice of life.

Sheep has more of stylistic approach than the others though and the story is told in a series of vignettes.

Burnett has a way of really letting you in to the characters way of life so that you really get it. If these types of movies are like watching their life through a window, Burnett allows you to be a fly on the wall. A-

(Halfway done, Rauld )

Lord High Filmquisitor

A Most Violent Year - 7/10

It was a remarkably solid film with some very good performances, although not quite as engaging as I thought it would be. Jessica Chastain gives a brilliant performance that sadly, like most comedies, had all of the good bits spoiled in the trailers. Oscar Isaac is one of the best actors working today at playing posh, sophisticated characters and David Oyelowo was fun to see in a sharp turn from his role in Selma. Plus I always love seeing Albert Brooks as a criminal (which was a high point of Drive for me).

The Imitation Game (2014)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)

Having already seen the 1941 version, starring Spencer Tracy, I wanted to see the rarely aired 1931 film starring Fredric March. Tonight I got the chance and jumped on it. The two films are almost the same, scene-by-scene and even though the Tracy version was fine, I prefer March, who was terrific, especially as Hyde. The makeup was awesome, and together with March's gleefully evil, Oscar-winning performance, makes for a unforgettable character. Miriam Hopkins is a wonder as a terrified prostitute. The only debit I give it is for this: the transformation scenes in most of the movie are almost present-day great---I still don't know how they made March start to transform before our eyes without the use of the old "Lon-Chaney-Wolf-Man-fade." But in the last few scenes of the movie, they do resort to that, which disappointed me a little but. I guess they were running out of money or time. But it's still a great movie.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
An Angel At My Table (Campion) - 6/10

Nice movie, and I have to wonder how much the face affects how I like the movie. Janet Frame (a real author from NZ) is portrayed by three actresses. The first during her adolescence, the second during puberty, and finally, the woman. At that point, I liked the character and her tenderness. I'll say I liked her performance, but I wonder how much is it because I liked her face, eyes, voice. For instance, if you're doing a film on someone very interesting, say Orson Welles, fans are going to probably like the actor, or at least be more inclined to watch of course.

In the "Special Features" there was a 23-minute interview with Janet Frame, and immediately there were some flaws in the movie. Even the simple one of how in real life, she mentioned her mother was always reading poetry, and how her siblings were interested in words and poetry, while in the movie the mother serves nothing but a a domestic slave. Frame also says that she only decided to talk about herself and her work because so many others took the liberty to say whatever they wanted to, since Frame was a very private person. The interview was done in 1983, years before the film. And putting the reality into the film wouldn't have taken anything from the film, probably would have made it a little better.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (Mazurksy) - 6/10

Interesting film. Good, not great, but hadn't seen too many films on "wife swapping" - and brings up the important of question if marriage in itself is an odd institution. I think it cheapens love, or makes a novelty out of it, but I'm different. I know in the U.S. the divorce rate is at about 60%, and I wonder if the other 40% is really happy.