Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Gambler (1974)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Birdman (Iñárritu) - 4/10 - I hate giving bad reviews. I usually only have time to watch one film each day, and so it's usually a tough choice for me. I never know what I'm going to watch, but when I do, I want to have a great experience. I usually watch an older movie for a better chance, but lately I've been watching new movies so I know I'm giving them a chance. I bet the best movies of 2014 are those that haven't got the press, theatrical releases, critics, etc..

I think it had it's moments, but it spent too much time on photo execution, and style, and it looks nice, but it could have said more. I thought a lot about Cassavetes' "Opening Night" and as I'm reading a review, someone else noticed this as well.

I found it deceiving, trying to be more important than it was.... And with the whole "Birdman" thing, I don't know. The other films of 2014 (Boyhood, Inherent Vice) are by directors (and the only ones) I like nowadays, and to me, they've been mugging.

Someone mentioned this film as a satire... It's not. It's mockery, parody. Satire is a literary x-ray on the times, usually bite that draws blood. There was a moment of showing how one cannot exist without social media, and how everyone wants a thirty second video to go viral... Everybody wants an easy way to make money, or a cynical attempt at "art"

I thought at one point it was going to pick up. Critics do have an effect on films, but not in this dense way - very childish how it was demonstrated. I also thought it was very misleading when the critic says, "I didn't watch a minute of it, but I'm going to kill your play" - which is the easy way out, which this movie does, instead of dealing with an issue. Instead, the camera goes through walls, sprinkles, special effects of his superpowers that usually had no relevance.

Lord High Filmquisitor

Foxcatcher - 8/10

I had built this up in my mind as some kind of dark masterpiece before I ever even so much as found a theater near me that was showing it. So it's only natural that I walked out feeling vaguely disappointed, regardless of how good the actual movie was.

That being said, Foxcatcher is an excellent film deserving of every shred of praise that it has earned. It's a tightly directed, subtly acted character piece featuring three of the most versatile and talented actors working in film today. It exudes fatalistic menace from its very first scene, living up to its tragic promise by its inevitable conclusion.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
American Sniper, 2014
Dir: Clint Eastwood

For a film that has stirred so much critical/box office buzz and a pretty intense debate, I found it really underwhelming. The trailer displayed a gripping, adrenaline-rushing scene which effectively imposed the question of morality; inducing fear for the people on both sides of the sniper. Yet I did not feel that the intensity or moral debate were consistent or successful throughout the whole movie, especially during the interval scenes between Chris Kyle's military tours, which were clearly attempts to study the growing detachment from Kyle and his old life. These I found especially lacking, as the psychological trauma Kyle must have endured allowed a lot more than the rather unmoving scenes shown to us. Overall, I enjoyed a few of the war clips, which displayed good amounts of chaos and suspenseful forces one would expect from a war movie, but the more personal/psychological side to the story (from Kyle's original motivations to his trauma to his recovery) was mostly unexplained, and somewhat of a lackluster.

6.5/10

3 Coeurs (Three Hearts)

7.5/10

A powerful 2014 French romantic drama by longtime director Benoit Jacquot. This moving film tells the story of a love triangle between a man (Benoit Poelvoorde) and two sisters (Charlotte Gainsbourg and Chiara Mastroianni). Poelvoorde puts out one of his best performances to date with Gainsbourg and Mastroianni living up to their reputations as skilled and accomplished actresses. The three are moving, believable, and sensational in this emotional melodrama.

Viva Leone

Fistful of Dollars ---------------------- Rating
+ 8.5 / 10
For a Few Dollars More ------------ Rating
10.0 / 10
The Good, the Bad & the Ugly --- Rating
8.0 / 10

HIGHLIGHT For a Few Dollars More Engaged throughout, more than most movies i watch. Leone's Homerun

* Tell me, Colonel... Were you ever young? *
* & just as reckless as you. Then one day, something happened. Made life very precious to me *
* What's that? .. or is the question indiscreet? *
* The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be

TROY (2004) theatrical version

Based on Homer's the Illiad and the Trojan War, tune in if you get into Diane Kruger, Brad Pitt, Rose Byrne, & Eric Bana. Cut way down in comparison to epic tales of Mediterranean lore, its Greece vs Troy. Watch for Ajax, Boagrius, classic names and a fun film. i like when Achilles chooses to stand down as King Agamemnon thinks he can win without him

At night I see their faces: all the men I've killed. They're standing there on the far bank of the river Styx, waiting for me. They say 'Welcome, brother.'

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

After a lot of hard work I finally finished up the review for...

Birdman // 2014

"...'Birdman' looks like no other in its flock, and it is certainly something it dares to be proud of as well. The film is an ultra ambitious attempt to be both heroic and divergent, but the goal is not necessarily if the whole thing ever actually succeeds. As long as it is conveyed in the memory of its audience as the most insane and assertive stage show ever put to film, it is completely and conveniently satisfied with itself..."

READ MY FULL REVIEW HERE

Lord High Filmquisitor
+ 8.5 / 10
10.0 / 10
8.0 / 10
And here I thought that I was alone in thinking that For a Few Dollars More was the best of the trilogy! I rate it a touch less highly than you do (9.5/10) and prefer the third entry to the first, but that's mostly just nitpicking at that point.

Also, that metal cover of the film's theme has got to be one of the coolest things that I've seen in a long time, and I discovered Baby Metal not too long ago (so that's really saying something).

Not currently on fire...
+ 8.5 / 10
10.0 / 10
8.0 / 10
Have you heard the original vocal version of the Morricone theme:

I watched the Leone films after watching a few good Spaghetti Westerns like the early Corbucci and Sollima productions and expected that they might be rather overrated, but they still blew me away.

If you need any more Eurowestern recommendations, let me know.

Not currently on fire...
Also, that metal cover of the film's theme has got to be one of the coolest things that I've seen in a long time, and I discovered Baby Metal not too long ago (so that's really saying something).
Wow, thats erm..... something. Sounds like the soundtrack to a Takashi Miike film

L'Avventura, a 1960 film by Michelangelo Antonioni. Always liked this movie. Italian classic.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Viva Leone

+ 8.5 / 10
10.0 / 10
8.0 / 10
I wish I haven't seen any of Leone's movies, so I could watch them again for the first time!
My ratings are a bit different for me and Once Upon a Time in the West is my personal favourite, but that trilogy is amazing!!!!

L'Avventura, a 1960 film by Michelangelo Antonioni. Always liked this movie. Italian classic.

Been meaning to rewatch this.