Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Into The Woods, 2014
Dir: Rob Marshall

Yet another stage-to-film musical adaptation that doesn't make the original theatrical production justice. It's pretty clear that modern audiences are not very enthusiastic about movie musicals anymore, but there's also no denying that the actual quality of movie musicals has been downgrading, and stories and musical numbers are at many times translated poorly and sloppily.

Into The Woods the movie weaved the different story lines intricately, but nowhere nearly as successfully as in the stage version. Whilst the original is clever and engrossing, the film version is at times dry and, although still easy to comprehend, by the end it felt like a bit of a mangled mess. A pity, considering that the complexity and darkness of that second act is arguably the biggest, most unique highlight of the plot.

The score suffered a lesser damage with able and charming performers, but it was mostly the directing that decreased its success. Musical numbers such as "I Wish" felt like three different ones awkwardly glued together, rather than a single one being performed simultaneously and in harmony, in different places. They fell flat compared to the dazzling, well-incorporated numbers in Rob Marshall's previous musical hit Chicago.

There have been, of course, a lot worse movie musicals in recent years, so this one stands at a relatively higher place. But I still can't shake away the feeling of it being unmemorable and disappointing.

6/10

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future

To the Wonder (2012) -

Stunning cinematography. Loved each performance. Why it divided audiences and got all those negative reactions I'll never know.
Loved that Affleck ended up with like 1 full line in the entire movie.

Trouble in Paradise (1932)

This was perfect! Ernst Lubitsch showcases how to direct a highly cinematic masterpiece of (sexy) comedy. LOVED it!
I wasn't able to finish the fourth hall of fame because of exams back then, but this one would have been near the top of my list.

+

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Trouble in Paradise (1932)

This was perfect! Ernst Lubitsch showcases how to direct a highly cinematic masterpiece of (sexy) comedy. LOVED it!
I wasn't able to finish the fourth hall of fame because of exams back then, but this one would have been near the top of my list.

+
You should've stayed in then! I knew you'd love Lubitsch

You should've stayed in then! I knew you'd love Lubitsch
I can't wait to check out the rest of his filmography. I was totally enchanted by the so called "Lubitsch Touch". It's been a long while since I've laughed this much with a film while also being totally engrossed by the story. The style is so smart and effective. I doubt if I've ever seen a comedy in which (specifically) the "directing style" worked so well for me.

It always excites me to discover a cinematic treasure like this.

Loved that Affleck ended up with like 1 full line in the entire movie.
I like you.. thats the only film I like Ben Affleck in.. because he doesnt talk!

Les Diaboliques

An extremely well made film, classically suspenseful and features solid performances all round. Hitchcock films owe (Psycho especially) to it for establishing the style of suspense for the coming years. I heard it was a big influence for him as well.

Blow-Up

A devoid of anything compelling, it's nice to look at but the characters are the equivalent to watching paint dry.

Mikey and Nicky (1976)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Into The Woods, 2014
Dir: Rob Marshall

Yet another stage-to-film musical adaptation that doesn't make the original theatrical production justice. It's pretty clear that modern audiences are not very enthusiastic about movie musicals anymore, but there's also no denying that the actual quality of movie musicals has been downgrading, and stories and musical numbers are at many times translated poorly and sloppily.

Into The Woods the movie weaved the different story lines intricately, but nowhere nearly as successfully as in the stage version. Whilst the original is clever and engrossing, the film version is at times dry and, although still easy to comprehend, by the end it felt like a bit of a mangled mess. A pity, considering that the complexity and darkness of that second act is arguably the biggest, most unique highlight of the plot.

The score suffered a lesser damage with able and charming performers, but it was mostly the directing that decreased its success. Musical numbers such as "I Wish" felt like three different ones awkwardly glued together, rather than a single one being performed simultaneously and in harmony, in different places. They fell flat compared to the dazzling, well-incorporated numbers in Rob Marshall's previous musical hit Chicago.

There have been, of course, a lot worse movie musicals in recent years, so this one stands at a relatively higher place. But I still can't shake away the feeling of it being unmemorable and disappointing.

6/10
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the film version of Into the Woods but I'm bothered by the fact that you said it wasn't as good as the stage production. The stage production is ALWAYS going to be better than the movie, that is a given. It's the same thing when people complain that a movie based on a book is not as good as the book. The book is ALWAYS going to better and we know that going in. And bringing a musical as intricate and complex as Into the Woods was going to lose something in its translation to the screen. I can count on one hand the number of stage musicals that were improved when they came to the screen...Cabaret, The Sound of Music, maybe Chicago, but other than that, I can't think of any film version of a Broadway musical that was better than the stage version.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

Lots of fun with a few real awesome scenes. Fassbender, Lawrence, and Jackman are especially good in this. I don't care for the more Sci-Fi aspects like mind travel and time travel, although it was a big plus that they went back to the 70's. This would be my 2nd favorite of the series after First Class.

Not currently on fire...
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the film version of Into the Woods but I'm bothered by the fact that you said it wasn't as good as the stage production. The stage production is ALWAYS going to be better than the movie, that is a given. It's the same thing when people complain that a movie based on a book is not as good as the book. The book is ALWAYS going to better and we know that going in. And bringing a musical as intricate and complex as Into the Woods was going to lose something in its translation to the screen. I can count on one hand the number of stage musicals that were improved when they came to the screen...Cabaret, The Sound of Music, maybe Chicago, but other than that, I can't think of any film version of a Broadway musical that was better than the stage version.
Unlike a book though, there is no reason why a film shouldn't be as good as a stage play.

When you adapt a book you have to combine dialogue and narration as well as typically compressing things down considerably.

A stage play is a similar format to a film - it is a visual medium and a stage play and film should run to the same length. If anything a movie allows a lot more freedom to move things around, open up the limitations of the set etc. There is nothing that can be portrayed on stage that cannot be represented in a film.

The failure of a film to match a stage play is down to failings of the writers and not an inevitability.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Spy Game

Want revenge against somebody? Want to torture that special someone? Make them watch this.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Unlike a book though, there is no reason why a film shouldn't be as good as a stage play.

When you adapt a book you have to combine dialogue and narration as well as typically compressing things down considerably.

A stage play is a similar format to a film - it is a visual medium and a stage play and film should run to the same length. If anything a movie allows a lot more freedom to move things around, open up the limitations of the set etc. There is nothing that can be portrayed on stage that cannot be represented in a film.

The failure of a film to match a stage play is down to failings of the writers and not an inevitability.

I think movies adapted from stage plays and books tend to suffer from the same issue as remakes. They have to live up to a previous version, and in most cases, it's a version that is already considered great by most people. They don't get the chance to stand on their own merits.

Edge of Tomorrow

I heard a lot of good things about this movie and without reading any synopsis' before watching I was pleasantly surprised. First I have to say Emily Blunt is a f!@#ing attractive woman! So the story is pretty solid and original, the 2 main characters were likable and you just felt their frustrations (mostly Tom Cruises). They had a few well named actors in this as well. Action was constant and enjoyable the one thing I would have to pick out is they really didn't need to try and throw in romance in this movie. I understand they wanted the 2 characters to care for each other but sometimes it felt a bit sappy.

3.5/5 Stars