Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Make a better place
Com'n guys END OF WATCH is a great movie, though I can understand if someone doesn't like it because of the camera thing

I'm just being honest...

Do you get scared by a little girl talking in a deep voice saying things like "f*ck me" and "you f*cking f*ggot"? Do you crap your pants when the girl pukes green slime all over the priest's face or make jokes like "you mother is here, should I deliver a message"?

It's freaking amusing. A great time. But scary? Far from it.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Me and Orson Welles - 5/10 - I thought the actor playing Orson was great, but the movie is alright. Besies PTA, Linklater is the only other young director I like and look forward to. I know it was based off the novel, but less than 2 years after that play came about "Black Macbeth" and in 1939 came "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast where many Americans really believe aliens came to invade. Welles was so funny by (kindly) condescending by saying the next day, "I don't know how people didn't recognize it to be H.G. Wells" -- and later talked about the medium radio was (especially with no video), and probably making a point that people stopped reading as much.

Magnolia (1999)

I found a small theatre in my hometown that has cinema sessions every Friday.
Last night was Magnolia, so I had a chance to rewatch it and I'm so happy that I did it.
It's even more amazing that I remembered!
A 3-hour masterpiece with perfect editing, perfect soundtrack, perfect direction and specially perfect performances by every single actor involved!
I took my Dad that only likes older movies and he loved it.

10/10
As a Magnolia's lover that I am I'm very happy to hear that your dad loved it. Might try to make my mother watch it.

Me and Orson Welles - 5/10 - ...I know it was based off the novel, but less than 2 years after that play came about "Black Macbeth" and in 1939 came "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast where many Americans really believe aliens came to invade. Welles was so funny by (kindly) condescending by saying the next day, "I don't know how people didn't recognize it to be H.G. Wells" -- and later talked about the medium radio was (especially with no video), and probably making a point that people stopped reading as much.
In 1955 Orson did an interview about the infamous War of the Worlds radio broadcast and said 'it wasn't a hoax it was satire done on purpose to wake people and stop them from believing everything they were told.'

Which if you think about it, is also the subject of 'F for Fake'

Ordet (1955)

A Hall of Fame nomination so I posted my thoughts in that thread.
Quite embarrassing being a Dane and a film enthusiast, and not seen this picture...

Think I'll be digging it up now and watch it tonight or at the least tomorrow!

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, 2014
Dir: Peter Jackson

I think that after the two previous entries of The Hobbit trilogy it is pointless to criticize the ridiculous CGI, the unnecessarily tedious length or the stiffly incorporated subplots. However, this was probably my favorite of the three, and a solid piece of entertainment. A good (albeit not great) end to the trilogy. I went into the movie theater excited for this and I came out with the same enthusiasm. It is as good as you would expect it to be: all of the action, the laughs, the thrills and the tragedy are exactly where they are supposed to be.

7/10

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Kinsey (2004)

This was on TV today so I watched it. It's a biography movie about Alfred Kinsey, a scientist who was a pioneer in sexual behaviour studies in the 40s, meeting enormous social resistance. The movie stars Liam Neeson as Kinsey and Laura Linney as his wife.
As a movie it's not great. It shows all the weaknesses of Neeson as an actor and I didn't connect with it at any level. It's a biography movie and it does not try to be more than that! There's only a cinematographic element that I like: the parts in the movie that tell the life of Kinsey are alternated with scenes in black&white of Kinsey being asked his own questions about his own sexual behaviour.
However, it was very educational and opened my eyes to a reality I wasn't aware of.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi -

Is it just me, or is this the best Star Wars?

I Knew It Was You (10/10) - A documentary on John Cazale, who I think is the most underrated actors ever. Such a sad story.. Only 5 movies, and they were all one of the greatest movies.. Godfather I and II (Fredo), The Conversation, The Deer Hunter (where he plays Stanley in both), and Dog Day Afternoon (Sal)...

They were showing pictures of the Godfather cast, Brando and sons.. Nobody knew the name John Cazale, but everyone knew the guys' name, the character he played.

Extended interviews with Al Pacino who says he learned so much from him. It's even more sad that he was living with Meryl Streep, who I think is the most beautiful actress ever.

Marooned (8/10) -- Such a great film... Gregory Peck is excellent in everything, as is Gene Hackman.. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi, but this was beyond that. Very great, and such an underrated movie, you hardly hear of this. I never had until a friend of Richard Crenna recommended it to me.

I'm just being honest...

Do you get scared by a little girl talking in a deep voice saying things like "f*ck me" and "you f*cking f*ggot"? Do you crap your pants when the girl pukes green slime all over the priest's face or make jokes like "you mother is here, should I deliver a message"?

It's freaking amusing. A great time. But scary? Far from it.
I was having a conversation like this with a friend last week. Is a black comedy only a black comedy if you find it funny? You can watch a horror film that doesn't scare you or a comedy that doesn't make you laugh, but know that's what they're supposed to be. But a black comedy that doesn't make you laugh? If you don't know it's supposed to be funny, what is it?

In 1955 Orson did an interview about the infamous War of the Worlds radio broadcast and said 'it wasn't a hoax it was satire done on purpose to wake people and stop them from believing everything they were told.'

Which if you think about it, is also the subject of 'F for Fake'
Yeah, I also saw that, either on an interview with Cavett or on his BBC specials. And now, we have more than just radio! So before his time, it's a shame we let the greatest of the greats not even have a chance, even after they've proved themselves. It reminds me a bit of Mort Sahl's, the man who started modern standup, only because he didn't play with favorites. I guess you can say the same about Brando.

By the way, did you see "Me and Orson Welles?" Not a great movie, but the actor did such a great jop. I know Linklater (and Altman) were both big fans, and nice to see anything about Orson, including "F For Fake" which I haven't seen in a long time.

But a black comedy that doesn't make you laugh? If you don't know it's supposed to be funny, what is it?
Garbage, or two thirds the Pulp Fiction rip offs of the last twenty years.

Sean, I did see Me and Orson Welles, I liked it pretty much too and I agree the actor who played Orson was good. I especially liked the scenes regarding Orson's play The Tragedy of Julius Caesar. The lighting, cinematography and the staging for that scene was phenomenal, it gave me goose bumps!

I so impressed with that scene I used it on my review thread.