Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Does MM live Stateside? No one seems to believe me, but this stuff just isn't really shown that much elsewhere in the way it is over there.
Apparently he's in Denmark, which explains it.

But it just seems unfathomable to me. I can't recall a Christmas that didn't include The Grinch.

Does MM live Stateside? No one seems to believe me, but this stuff just isn't really shown that much elsewhere in the way it is over there.
Apparently he's in Denmark, which explains it.

But it just seems unfathomable to me. I can't recall a Christmas that didn't include The Grinch.
Yep, we don't show that over here.

In Denmark it's tradition every single Christmas that the Disney Christmas Special is on. That show probably have the same impact and tradition as the Grinch for you.

Unregistered User

Indeed. The most i have watched it is when Kevin watches it in Home Alone.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
M (1931) - 9/10 -- Excellent... Thanks to someone on here for considering their favorite film; when I was at the library and saw this I remembered MOFO. Lorre was so fat it took me a second before I could truly identify him. There was a nice Fritz Lang interview with Friedkin on the 2nd disc in case you haven't saw it. I look forward to seeing other features.

I Live In Fear (1955) - 8/10 - The last of the "postwar" films. I really liked this. I had no idea until halfway that it was Mifune playing the old man (until he took off his glasses). I not only love Mifune, but have always liked Shimura, and notice how both are in many of Kurosawa's films. I wish they could have talked more about what just happened in Japan, talked more about the bomb instead of redundant talks of the father being incompetent.

The Adventures of Tintin (2011)

This is pretty much what you would expect from a Steven Spielberg, Indiana Jones type adventure film. It's entertaining with some good excitement, and obviously extremely well done. The humor didn't especially work for me, but it's a very good movie overall.

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

This movie did a great job at transporting me into it's magical fantasy land. Terrific visuals and I loved the dragon.

Make a better place

Kiss The Girls 1997

an okay crime movie, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just that the story doesn't feel that original, you know too many crime movies with a very similar story

Escape Plan 2013 (re-watch)

As good as I remember it was when I watched it last year in cinema, a very entertaining action movie, I wish that Sly & Arnie do more movies like this before they're too old

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Gone with the Wind, 1939
Director: Victor Fleming

The actual definition of the epic film genre, and the most eternal romance story ever presented on the big screen. I watched this movie first when I was 5 or 6. I had no idea why the North and the South were fighting, I had no idea why Scarlett was so devoted to her land and I had no idea why there weren't any wealthy blacks or white slaves. My understanding of the plot and the themes were vague and very shallow, but Gone with the Wind is such a majestic accomplishment that I was absolutely and completely transfixed for those four hours of running time. Even as a young child with limited attention span, I vividly remember a few key scenes from that first viewing: the lively Scarlett gliding like a sprite through the greenery of Georgia, or desperately looking for the doctor in an ocean of wounded soldiers, or collapsing on the stairs of her lavish Atlanta home, crying for her beloved Tara. I have never loved a film as much as this one.

I have revisited it once again, and in this recent viewing I still loved every single second of it. Years later, it's still as entrancing as I remember. The story of Scarlett O'Hara, the epitome of the Southern Belle, who finds herself physically and emotionally walloped when the Civil War and the Reconstruction era end the one world she ever knew, and the one girl she ever was. Gone with the Wind is as much as a survival story as it is a love story. The anti-heroine goes through an epic journey of love, death and war with undying perseverance and vitality, as she picks herself up from the ground time after time, determined to protect whatever dignity she has left. Despite her egotism and lacking morality, Scarlett’s fortitude makes her a most sympathetic, admirable character. Rhett Butler is equally irresistible: dashing, courageous and the epitome of the knight in shining armor, whether Scarlett wants or needs him or not. They make up one of the most iconic and fascinating screen couples, finding themselves in a complex, confusing relationship in which neither know exactly what is it they really want, what they’re getting out of this, or why is there such a passionate, magnetic attraction that draws them together despite the fact that everything is (sometimes literally) being destroyed within and around them.

It is not just the story and the characters that are fascinating, but visually, the movie is also so very stunning. Everything in it is of epic proportions: set in lush gardens and opulent mansions. Scenes showing the aftermath of the war are probably the most memorable and striking. Scarlett’s old Southern world is literally crippled in front of her helpless eyes, as she witnesses a mass of fallen soldiers and the burning of Atlanta. The costumes, score and cinematography are some of the most beautiful, monumental achievements in this art; inducing wonder without overshadowing the brilliance of the story and the performances.

10/10

Lord High Filmquisitor
Before Sunrise - 10/10

This movie completely floored me with its unrelentingly intelligent, funny, touching and always organic dialog, amazingly delivered by its intimately capable cast. That's really all it is - realistic dialog between fully developed characters - but it does it so impossibly well. It booted 12 Angry Men out of my top 10 list (although exactly where this film settles within the top 10 remains to be seen) and is unequivocally my favorite film of the 90s.

Millenium Actress (2001)

One of the more mature animated movies I've watched, with a bit of an unorthodox way of telling a fine story. I didn't get the full effect of the emotion, but it's there to be had for the right viewer. It's a very solid movie.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Before Sunset - 10/10

It is far more maturely acted, directed and written, although it lacks its forebearer's visceral passion (much like the protagonists themselves). It's extended tracking shots / long takes, real-time narrative and organic dialog creates a viewing experience entirely unlike the typical American film. While it is vastly superior to the first in terms of technical prowess and tecnique, I don't enjoy it nearly as much. Both, however, are beautifully realized, dialog / character driven films that are easily among the best written films that I have ever seen.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Millenium Actress (2001)

One of the more mature animated movies I've watched, with a bit of an unorthodox way of telling a fine story. I didn't get the full effect of the emotion, but it's there to be had for the right viewer. It's a very solid movie.

I agonized over cutting this from my list or not and in the end I did. I really hope it makes it or that I'm not the reason it doesn't.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Before Midnight - 9/10

Before Midnight plays out as a betrayal of the romantic promise of the first two films, and this definitely seems to be the point of it all. It is no less intelligent nor nuanced - continuing the style cemented in Before Sunset of extended takes, a small number of scenes that play out in real time and organically developed dialog and characters. The first twenty minutes of the film only has two scenes in it, with no more than five scenes total in the whole film, and every second of it is hopelessly magnificent.

I had to think long and hard after the credits stopped before figuring out exactly how I felt about it. While neither as focussed nor as unconventional as the previous two installments, this is none-the-less a magnificent film that's likely to end up in my top 100 (although probably nearer to the bottom).

A Scanner Darkly 3.5 / 5

I decided to watch this movie after discovering it on here...Was not disappointed at all! Robert Downey Jr was a bit annoying most of the time though.

Great plot twist and shake up towards the end, really enjoyed this one.

Waltz with Bashir (2008)

A man has nightmares about his time in the Lebanon war. His memories are repressed, so he goes to find others who were there, so that he can better recall what happened. It's a pretty interesting movie, and the scenes during wartime are rather exciting and reminded me a bit of Apocalyose Now as far as attitude. The visuals are awesome and it has some great music. As an animation, it's really different and stands out from the crowd.