Martin Scorsese's The Irishman

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
There is a wonderful 40-minute conversation about a frozen fish though
(exaggerating, of course)

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Started this yesterday. It felt long and pointless even after an hour and 15 hours later I'm still on a break. All the main actors are too old (Pesci calling de Niro kid felt so stupid and de Niro beating that store clerk must have been one of the worst scenes ever put on film) and instead of the intensity of Scorsese's old mafia films, this one feels like a long tiring day in an elderly home. We'll see if I ever manage to finish this.

Welcome to the human race...
I mean, that is kind of the point - Sheeran's recollections of his younger days are plagued by the knowledge of the decrepit old husk he will inevitably become and that affects even the most conventionally "intense" parts of the movie (i.e. his acts of violence and murder that tend to play out in flat wide shots rather than chaotic close-ups).

Started this yesterday. It felt long and pointless even after an hour and 15 hours later I'm still on a break. All the main actors are too old (Pesci calling de Niro kid felt so stupid and de Niro beating that store clerk must have been one of the worst scenes ever put on film) and instead of the intensity of Scorsese's old mafia films, this one feels like a long tiring day in an elderly home. We'll see if I ever manage to finish this.
Agree with above.

I made it through the first hour though it probably took me 2 hours to do so. Everyone is SO old in this movie. Barely recognized Joe Pesci.

I was really bored & by the time Pacino arrived (with a horrible wig), I’d had enough. The “story” was so horrible.

Major disappointment.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I enjoyed Scorsese's comments about superhero movies not being real cinema.

While using Marvel technology for aging and de-aging.

I also turned it off. I had all day to see it, so length wasn't a matter, but quality is. No story, sorry script, awful scenes, despite the same ol' casts he always uses.

I had to laugh at the Godfather theme on harmonica... There's nothing fresh about this. But then again, I don't expect anything good from Scorsese. He's better at handling credit card commercials.

⬆️ The film quality streaming it on my iPad wasn’t too wonderful either. (Same thing happened with Roma.) I’ve streamed hundreds of movies on my iPad so that’s not where the fault lies.

⬆️ I was afraid on Twitter to even give my review. And I don’t think I read a single newspaper or magazine that reviewed it badly.

⬆️ I was afraid on Twitter to even give my review. And I don’t think I read a single newspaper or magazine that reviewed it badly.
Because they aren't critics - they are businessmen. Quid pro quo

And that's why every future review will be a positive one. Its politics. There might be a guy or two with counter-passions to say the truth, but they'll probably work for some tiny company.

The trick is not minding
I never worry about whether or OT my review falls in line with critics. I’ve seen plenty of critical darling that fell flat for me.
Gandhi, Fargo, A History of Violence, Walk the Line, the Big Chill, Rocky are all examples of films I felt were not enjoyable.
Reviews are subjective afterall

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Agree in part with this. De Niro wasn't passing as a 30-40 year old very well at all and it was distracting. Might have been better to focus on a story of the characters from 50 yo onwards. Interstellar does a fairly good good turning 80 year old Micheal Caine into a 50 something.

I enjoyed it though. Its quite a good story, especially middle to ending when you stop being distracted by the age thing. It's not Goodfellas but it's classic Scorsese.

It felt like one last blast from the old crew and I think it's good that it was made. The only people missing were James Gandolfini and Frank Vincent RIP.

I never worry about whether or OT my review falls in line with critics. I’ve seen plenty of critical darling that fell flat for me.
Gandhi, Fargo, A History of Violence, Walk the Line, the Big Chill, Rocky are all examples of films I felt were not enjoyable.
Wasn’t concerned with critics, but more with fellow tweeters. People get upset if one doesn’t like a movie that they love.

You didn’t like Fargo, Walk the Line, Rocky or the Big Chill? Love these movies.

De Niro wasn't passing as a 30-40 year old very well at all and it was distracting.
He sure wasn’t. I was so confused when his wife had a baby. What? Isn’t he their grandfather?

The trick is not minding
[quote=Stirchley;2050031]
Wasn’t concerned with critics, but more with fellow tweeters. People get upset if one doesn’t like a movie that they love.

You didn’t like Fargo, Walk the Line, Rocky or the Big Chill? Love these movies.

Didn’t mean to imply you were, I meant more along the lines of “But critics loved it!” responses from various people as some crutch to defend our supposed lack of taste in a film loved by most.
Those films are just a few examples that I listed heh.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I actually think a quicker beginning with a different actor exactly like Goodfellas (young Henry) would have been much more credible.

After I messaged, I finished the movie. I really watched it because of my admiration for Jimmy Hoffa, who I've always considered the greatest man from Michigan. Greatest labor leader. I'm kicking myself that I didn't save the video of Hoffa on Dick Cavett, but I'm sure it'll be back on YouTube one day... Al Pacino did nothing but yell, obsess about ice cream, punctuality (over and over), the size of a man's ears, Pesci's yearning to receive love from De Niro's daughter (over and over, "She said 'Thank you'"), obsessing over attire to a meeting.

Here's the real Jimmy Hoffa

Is it just me or Di Nero and these boys using deaging technology taking away opportunities from younger actors? Why don't they get a hard time like Scarlett Jo wanting to play a trans person or her Ghost In The Shell or whatever movie? Feels like the pot calling the kettle black? no? Seems to me they are using the logic that big name actors will attract more people to the movie and turn a profit . Like those other movies tried doing.

Hypocrisy oozes from the pores of Hollywood people lol

With that being said I'll probably watch this eventually. That 3 and half hours is daunting though.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

The truth is in here
Because stripping away any screentime from Al Pacino's powerhouse performance would be a horrible mistake. His scenes were the most entertaining and memorable in the whole movie.

This movie was made for De Niro, Pesci and Pacino. Why wouldn't you want to use them as much as possible? I actually favor the deaging technique in this case since that gave us a chance to see more of them, not to mention it was pretty seamlessly done.

While using Marvel technology for aging and de-aging.

I also turned it off. I had all day to see it, so length wasn't a matter, but quality is. No story, sorry script, awful scenes, despite the same ol' casts he always uses.

I had to laugh at the Godfather theme on harmonica... There's nothing fresh about this. But then again, I don't expect anything good from Scorsese. He's better at handling credit card commercials.
I''m not sure technology has much to do with Scorsese's point.

I enjoyed The Irishman. It's technically great. I'm sorry you didn't.