What is your favourite Terminator movie and why?

Tools    

Speaking of Alien, thats also a good one to debate which of the first two is better. I consider both Alien and Terminator hands down without doubt untouchable classics. Although Aliens is much closer to Alien then T2 is to Terminator.

Speaking of Alien, thats also a good one to debate which of the first two is better. I consider both Alien and Terminator hands down without doubt untouchable classics. Although Aliens is much closer to Alien then T2 is to Terminator.
From what i see Alien is usually preffered over Aliens while T2 tends to be more popular than the first Terminator.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
One thing I noticed, is that T2 is shot in 2.39:1 and the first one is shot in 1.85:1. Is there a reason why Cameron opted for a different aspect ratio for the sequel?

t3 because it has the coolest terminator, followed by salvation, followed by t5, then t2 was okay although it's effects are dated and then t1 I didn't like it because its effects were just, too, you known, crappy.

Welcome to the human race...
One thing I noticed, is that T2 is shot in 2.39:1 and the first one is shot in 1.85:1. Is there a reason why Cameron opted for a different aspect ratio for the sequel?
My guess would be a mix of a substantially increased budget and the need to accommodate its much more advanced technical aspects and special effects.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I watched T1 again yesterday after many years. It’s a great movie. Very enjoyable for a bleak, gritty and tense experience. It really doesn’t have the cool factor and playfulness of T2. I can imagine some would prefer this (t1).

I can truely appreciate now why this role made arnie a household name (I believe it was this role). Watching him his portrayal of the terminator is well thought out, don’t laugh yet. He literally moves mechanically in some scenes such as the nightclub scene where he is firing guns, holding the odly much like you’d expect a robot...eh excuse me..cyborg to move. Also....at times he looks wax like and I have to say it. Like a cgi figure. Especially in the first third and especially when he has just arrived on the scene and takes out those punks. It’s eerie.

What I’d say is dated about T1, not noticeable in T2. The music. Although some would love the retro charm...it was a bit to powerful for me. Also some of the effects don’t look the greatest but I would much prefer them to today’s soulless and weightless cgi. Great film overall. T2 still my favourite.

Terminator (1984), because it was the first pass at it. There was no franchise associated with it, no expectations placed on it, other than to entertain. Compared to other things out at the time, it was original and fresh and different ... and allowed to be! The youthfulness of it, frankly, the fact that it was new. The cast was young and energetic and even though it was scripted, the actors had nothing to base their performances on. They just made up their traits as they went along and made acting choices of the moment. Again, without consideration for "the franchise."

The only problem the film has, actually, is the joke of the mandate on our heroes: to have sex, in order to save the universe! This would be awkward enough, except for the fact that these few hours they spend together is meant to be plausible enough to convince us that their love is so larger than life that it's worth fighting for ... and dying for. It's as though Terminator simply will not allow us to forget that its only a movie. "Don't take it too seriously," as evidenced by cute little jokes throughout, like when Arnold drives over the toy truck with his hot-wired family truckster. And, of course, the ever-present one liners. But it's a damned good movie, without the safety net of being a "franchise." Something that the rest of the Terminator films can't match.

T2 always.

I have previously said that i like t2 better and i still do, but there is no better movie in the world of cinema that catches the 80s scifi feel as much as the first terminator does, the soundtrack is just downright superb, listen to this:

Downright amazing 80s scifi synth, brad fiedel is a genius

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Another thread I can't remember if I've posted in before.

For most of my life T2 but lately T1. The rest are an embarrassment.

Welcome to the human race...
I was about to make a post about nobody even thinking about picking one of the later movies and then I read Guaporense's post in its entirety. Short, but such a trip.

A system of cells interlinked
Gotta go for the first one, even if T2 cranks everything up to 11 while expanding on the mythology in a cool way. Too bad Edward Furlong is in it, as he manages to drag it into 2nd place of me with his performance. Both films are damned good, though. I just like the gritty future noir aspect of the first more than the slick action of T2.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I would say still say T2 after watching them because I really like John and Sarah's character development with each other, I like the paradox time travel twist, perhaps even just a little better than the first movie, and I think the T-1000 is an even better villain than the T-800.