The Fellowship Of The Ring

→ in
Tools    

gone
I deconstruct everything, whether I like it or not. I can't help it

Guy
no offense to any of you, but after reading most of this thread I found some of the replies kind of pushy.

IMO The Two Towers and Return of the King are far superior to Fellowship, so we are all in for a big ride over the next two years!

I thought a good idea would be to get a group of maybe 1000 eagles, put Frodo on top of one with the ring, and about 20 hobbits on others and have all one thousand fly to Mount Doom. Obviously many will be killed but what are the chances that the one with Frodo on top would. Gandalf could use a protection spell on Frodo's eagle, and voila!

Also, what was the deal with mithral. If I was in charge of the fellowship I'd give everyone in the group some mithral armor, helmets and shields. I guess it's too rare though

Guy
or another idea that would work..

send 200 eagles flying at mount doom from every direction.

send 5 fellowships out, with only one that has frodo and aragon in it.

and send an army to attack mordir.

the nazgul would be drawn to frodo and the real fellowship but aragon will beat them off easily (like he did at the night camp). after that, as they near mordir, a human / elf army attacks, and by then the 200 eagles arrive. Legolas, Frodo and Aragon get on an eagle and charge mount doom while the human / elf army is attacking. If the nazgul try to take out the eagle, Legolas and Aragorn will be on the eagle protecting Frodo.

the evil army couldn't focus on getting Frodo because they're busy defending themselves.

Tell me that's not a good plan!

'Tis an alright plan, but they'd be going to the wrong place.

The cracks of doom or in Mordor.

Originally posted by Guy
Tell me that's not a good plan!
Okay: that's not a good plan.

The film misrepresented Aragorn's strength considerably. In the books, he'd, even when teamed with, say, Legolas or Glorfindel, wouldn't have much hope of fighting off 4 or 5 Nazgul. The film had them looking cool at first, but they became total wusses on Weathertop...no way in hizzell Aragorn could take them all out.

BTW: I don't think an Eagle can carry more than one person.

WARNING: "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" spoilers below
Part of the plan is a good idea...and it shows up in the books. In the third book, one of the reasons Frodo makes it to Mount Doom is because, in Mordor's front gate, so to speak, there's a big comotion. The WHOLE point is to be quiet about things, though. It can't look like some big plan in any way...and two hobbits sneaking into the back of Mordor while every other good guy in the whole flippin' world (I exaggerate, of course) is on the other side of Mordor (roughly...you know what I mean) attacking goes along with that perfectly.

Originally posted by spudracer

Do those that criticize, or critique LOTR: FOTR, deconstruct other movies based on books as well simply because they find them hard to understand? Just wondering...
I have no problem with people who "deconstruct" a movie or book because they don't understand it: that's just analytical thinking. What I dislike is revisionist thinking, of which there seems to be quite a bit about, in this thread.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Those, and I'm included, are simpy the ones who never got the book and are trying to understand it now.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Guy
Originally posted by Sullivan
What I dislike is revisionist thinking, of which there seems to be quite a bit about, in this thread.
I don't understand why you make such a big deal out of it. Personally I think it's fun to think of different strategies in different situations. I'm not putting down the actual story, just thinking of different ways it could be done (even if they wouldn't work ).

Where's the big deal? All I'm doin' here is making a few comments and answering a few questions. I don't see that as a big deal.

You're free to speculate all you like. But there's a clear difference (in my mind at least) between descriptive and prospcriptive speculation. Saying "They could have done this...." doesn't bother me, but saying "They SHOULD have done this..." does, for some reason.