Darth Wish's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

My Darth Star is in for a service

Denzel Washington, Chris Pine and Rosario Dawson. 2010

Based on a real life event two men go after a runaway train and attempt to stop it before it crashes, in their locomotive.
Near misses, dangerous chemicals and heroic actions make this a real nailbiter of a movie.
The suspense keeps you on the edge of your seat and the grainy, green tinged look to the film suits the subject matter portrayed.
The audio is superb and will give the best subwoofer a real run for it's money.
Washington and Pine work very well together on screen with both giving performances that they can rightly be proud of.

If you like having fingernails I suggest you put on some gloves before watching this one.

9/10

Dark Skies 2013

Dark Skies tells the story of a family beset with strange occurences in their home.
There are hints of Poltergeist, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Paranormal Activity about it and it makes for a thrilling film with a good storyline and some decent acting.
If you like Horror/Thriller/Alien Abduction movies then this will be right up your street.

Plenty of scares and plenty of suspense to keep you entertained and/or hiding behind your pillow.

8/10

I was a fan of the TV series on British TV so when they announced a movie I was thrilled.
The first Equalizer film introduced us to Robert McCall, a man who led a quiet life and read books...oh and is OCD. The character was built up with him being a caring man who stands up for the underdog and this carries on into the second instalment.
I thoroughly enjoyed it as I did the first one, Denzel Washington again puts in a superb performance as the unlikely hero.
The punishment dealt out is brutal, the detail of the characters nuances portrayed with respect to those who suffer from OCD and the two sides of McCall expertly acted by Washington make this a well worthwhile watch

8.5/10

Death Wish 2017

Bruce Willis has made some good movies and a lot of bad ones.
This is one of the good ones.
A modern re-telling of the story of a man avenging his families deaths by hunting down the killers and dealing with anyone who stands in his path.
The violence is brutal with plenty of bullets flying around and buckets full of blood from wounds spraying around.
Some of the more violent bits make you wince as they are so graphic.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

8/10

Election 1999

Election is a lighthearted film about an over ambitious female student who is determined to be school President (Reese Witherspoon).
One of the teachers (Matthew Broderick) in trying to stop her and encourages the school's top jock to stand.
When the jock's lesbian sister stands too things start to run out of control as ambition, anger and jealousy rear their ugly heads.
With some funny moments and dialogue pulling it up to just about watchable from dire it isn't a film I will be tempted to watch again.

One of the more memorable lines from the movie.

4/10

Age Of Kill 2015

Age Of Kill is a low budget movie and it shows.
The cast has been assembled from mainly British soap operas and it shows.
The worst performance goes to Anouska Mond who plays D.I. Siddig, I have seen more convincing acting in a primary school play.
While the basis of the plot is good the cliched use of football hooligans as right wing 'patriots' is getting tiresome.
With a big budget, better actors, better direction and dropping the cliches this could have been a decent movie.
Not one of the better British movies I have seen and something inside me is saying Hollywood would have done a lot better job of it.

2.5/10

Entebbe 2018

Rosamund Pike, Daniel Bruhl, Eddie Marsan, Lior Ashkenazi

SPOILER ALERT

Entebbe is based on the real life hijacking of an Air France flight from Paris to Tel Aviv in 1976.
The plot follows the planning of the hijack, the hijack and the Israeli response.
The main stars do an admirable job of their parts as do the people playing the hostages.
Throughout the movie there are scenes of a dance company rehearsing ready for a performance seen in the latter stages, why it is in there I don't know, it adds nothing to the movie for me and felt out of place being in this film. They could have used more of the footage from the time that is interspersed throughout.
If you can ignore the dancing and relate to the story you will find this a good watch.

6.5/10

The House With A Clock In Its Walls 2018

This family film was a joy to watch.
It has just the right amount of silliness, action and laughs to keep everyone entertained.
Jack Black and Cate Blanchett as the warlock Jonathan Barnavelt and the malfunctioning
witch Florence Zimmerman was an inspired piece of casting while Owen Vaccaro as Lewis Barnavelt, the nephew who comes to live with his uncle after his parents die, is superb.
This is a film about magic and evil and isn't to be taken too seriously, just watch and enjoy.

THWACIIW is the ideal film for halloween, it is the perfect movie after all that trick or treating.

Be warned, some scenes might be a bit much for the really young.

8.5/10

Gone Girl 2014

Rosamund Pike, Ben Affleck, Tyler Perry

After reading the comments in the Fincher v Cameron thread I had to watch this after all the hype.
Well you Fincher fans I am pleased to say it lived up to that hype.
Rosamund Pike is just simply sublime in this and in my mind is one of the top five actresses in the world at this time.
A powerful story of deceit, betrayal and vengeance it is beautifully acted, filmed and edited.
Even Affleck is OK.
If you like to give the old grey matter something to do while watching a movie then this one is perfect if you haven't already seen it.

9/10

Pirates Of The Carribean:Salazar's Revenge

Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Javier Bardem

I absolutely enjoyed this movie, arguably the best of the franchise, Bardem is simply awesome as the villian of the piece and the SFX are glorious.
Action, Comedy, Thrills and Skulduggery abound as the motley crew of the Black Pearl blunder their way through another adventure at sea.
A cracking film which I thoroughly recommend.

9.25/10

Echoes Of Fear 2018

Trista Robinson, Hannah Race

Echoes Of Fear is a horror/thriller which has won awards (It's OK but it's not that good!).
It gets off to a really slow start with a lot of wandering around a house with nothing in particular happening, it picks up a bit after around 15 minutes with the story gradually unfolding, the standard girl with her friend in a house that they think may be haunted scenario.
There are a few decent scares but it isn't really that much of a horror movie to be honest.
It's OK for what it is just don't expect any quality acting.
Not one I'd be tempted to watch again.

3.5/10

The Phoenix Incident 2015

The Phoenix Incident is based on the real life events in Arizona 1997 when a series of static lights were seen in the sky.
It is mainly filmed as handheld camera footage from the four main protagonists.
Without letting the plot out of the bag this is about aliens landing (allegedly) and the subsequent cover up by the USAF.
I am always dubious about stories like this as governments and militaries around the world have been forever using aliens as an excuse to cover up their secretive behaviour around the world.
I did ultimately find this film engaging as it was interspersed with news footage from the time.
I have my own thoughts on what probably went on but that is not a subject for this review.

If you don't mind handheld shot scenes and like a good conspiracy movie then give it a whirl.

6.25/10

Defence Of The Realm 1985

Gabriel Byrne, Greta Scacchi, Denholm Elliott

London and newspaper journalist Nick Mullins (Byrne) pursues a politician (played by Ian Bannen) who has been seeing a high class prostitute.
When the story becomes more about a government cover up things get a bit on the dangerous side.
Plenty of suspense and paranoia in a film packed with British stars.
A half decent film that is showing it's age, people smoking in pubs, no seatbelts, typewriters etc.

5.5/10

The 911 Commision Report 2006

This is a low budget film based on the aforementioned report.
There are no what I would call recognisable actors in it so performances are a bit wooden.
The style the movie was filmed in was bright and grainy with a lot of handheld scenes which were unwatchable.
Some of the dialogue was garbled with the background music not doing anything for it either.
For me it is a piss poor effort to tell the story of the findings in the report and it glosses over the mistakes made in not looking closer into the activities of the terrorists.

Amateurish, lacking in quality and not entertaining in any way, shape or form.

1.5/10

The League Of Gentlemen 1960

Jack Hawkins, Richard Attenborough, Roger Livesey

Seven former military men get an invite to a meeting and from there they plan a bank robbery with an ex Colonel (Hawkins).
They plan the robbery with military precision and the ensuing action takes you along for the ride.
Excellent performances from the cast and a well thought out plot.
The accents from this 1960 film are what we Brits would call posh but the Americans amongst you think we talk like that anyway.

A decent B&W movie well worth the watch.

7/10

Election 1999

Election is a lighthearted film about an over ambitious female student who is determined to be school President (Reese Witherspoon).
One of the teachers (Matthew Broderick) in trying to stop her and encourages the school's top jock to stand.
When the jock's lesbian sister stands too things start to run out of control as ambition, anger and jealousy rear their ugly heads.
With some funny moments and dialogue pulling it up to just about watchable from dire it isn't a film I will be tempted to watch again.

One of the more memorable lines from the movie.

4/10
loved this movie

Errr...you.

I take it those are your names under your avatar?
oh no my name is not katherine, katherine is the blonde one on my avatar with dominic they both my favorite people on tv series called shadowhunters =P