Back in the late 1980s, I saw a movie from the 1960s (I'm guessing it was made between 1964 and 1970 based on what I remember of hair, clothing and car styles) where a man is briefly captured by people who are after him. They tie him up, put him in the trunk of a car, and drive him to a warehouse to interrogate or hold him hostage. I can't remember what their plan was. But he gets away, and eventually gets to the police. What stands out, is that he was able to tell the police where he was taken because I recognized the drive from the sounds of the road.

A movie with Robert Redford, called Sneakers (1992), came out in which the same exact technique was used by the main character to determine where he'd been taken by his antagonists. When I saw that, I was certain it was inspired by the movie I saw about five or six years earlier. However, I've never been able to find anything out about the older film. All I remember is what I described above, and that the main character was played by a well known 1960s/1970s actor.

One false lead I had was Warning Shot (1967) with David Janssen. But after watching it, there is no similar scene. At this point I'm not even sure if the main character was played by someone with dark hair or light hair, but I'm leaning towards brown to black hair and at least as well known as David Janssen was in that era. I saw the movie on late night local television, so it's likely to have been part of some kind of package that local stations would have used. I suspect them movie itself wasn't a big hit, and might have even been a made for TV film of the 1960s/70s. The movie might have been set in San Francisco because I remember that the warehouse was by some water, and the streets the car traveled on were hilly. Usually, a lot of warehouses by water scenes in the 1960s were done in films set in San Francisco. That's about all the detail I have.