Connor Macgregor's 2022 Music Diary

Tools    

I'm going to try something different this year. Something strainful and long. I'm going to keep a diary.

A Musical Diary, that is.

See, I've discovered a fantastic website caleld everynoise.com which tracks all the possible music genres and finds new music for users on Spotify. In that, they have a subsection which releases new releases by genre. And the results are endless. The amount of new music to discover is amazing. From different countries, genres, on all corners of the music sphere.

And I want to track an entire year of music browsing, to see if any of them can end up on my Spotify Wrapped at the beginning of December.

Almost one month has already gone by, which has been spent going over my highlights of 2021, and I want to try and mix up my music taste a little bit more. Try new sounds, whilst also embedding myself more in the genres I like.

So every Friday, this site updates itself with new music, and so every Friday, I will post on here a new selection of music that I have discovered, and will like to share with the Movieforums community in the best to inspire new minds to new sounds.

The next fresh batch will come up on 31/12 and so that will be the first batch, with a post coming up the following week on 07/01 covering that week preceeding. The process will then start over until the end of the year.

Ambitious? Yes. But hopefully it will be something I can commit to throughout the year.

I hope you enjoy the journey.

https://everynoise.com/new_releases_by_genre.cgi - The Link for anyone that is curious.

Connor Macgregor's Music Diary 2022

31/12/2021 - 06/01/2022

Genres Searched: Contemporary Country; Electropop; French Pop; Indie Folk; New Wave Pop; Norwegian Pop;

Anna Of The North, Shotgun - Electropop

Quite a sexy-sounding song in my opinion. I think the electric vibe of the song really works, almost bringing a synth-like sound to it. Good listen.

Small Black, Kyoto - Electropop

Closest I feel to a Synth pop song. Good listen.

Aoife O'Donovan, B61 - Indie Folk

Moving to Indie Folk now, and this song is a real nice listen. Nice vocals attached with a cool and easy sound. A bit of power then comes striking in as the middle of the song surfaces.

Laura Gibson, Curs In The Weeds - Indie Folk

This is such a calming listen for me. Giving me a real romantic sense of being in the woods. The type of song where you could follow fireflies floating around you, with the song almost like a conjuring of sorts. I really like it.

Ghostly Kisses, Green Book - Indie Folk

This song unlike Curs In The Weeds is a more earthy song. A somewhat supernatural take according to my ears. It still manages to stay folk but just that little bit otherworldly.

)

Adixia, Shined On Me - French Pop

A fun party fuelled French pop song. A nice listen with a good chorus and dance beat.

Haley Mae Campbell, Champagne Problem - Contemporary Country

Just one fun country song for you. It's an interesting song about alcohol, with a singer that very much follows the model of Taylor Swift, who adopts the country-pop aesthetic.

Bendik, Neste ar - Norwegian Pop

This was a fun listen for Norway with a duo pop group providing. They work well with one another, with a song that makes you feel like you're hiking on the Norwegian mountain range.

07/01/2022 - 13/01/2022

Genres Searched: Alt-Z; Belgian Indie; Belgian Pop; Country; Dutch Pop; French Pop; Indie Pop; Latin; Norwegian Pop; Pop; Pop Soul; UK Pop;

Broken Social Scene, Curse Your Fail - Indie Pop

It begins with a slightly groovy guitar riff, and develops and evolves into a mostly good yet long song. It goes a bit awry near the end, and is therefore not really one of the best songs on this list. Still a decent listen though.

MICHELLE, Expiration Date - Indie Pop

A girl band here with a fun song to listen to. It's short but sweet, with a very serene listen throughout.

Egg, Putting A Spin On She's So Gone - Indie Pop

Is this an original song? Not sure, but it is a nice piano rift and good vocals.

Amanda Jordan, I Choose You - Country

Amanda Jordan is a good lead singer though I'm unsure if she is even country as the song doesn't sound like a country song, perhaps drifting too much into the pop territory. Never the less, it is a good none the less.

Maddie & Tae, Strangers - Country

It's a nice easy song with good vocals and a theme on friendship which is rare in music.

Maren Morris, Circles Around This Town - Country

This is a really charming song, attached with a bit of swagger with a good singer.

Rachel Bradshaw, Wild Horse - Country

This is a nice and calm song, with an easy relaxed voice, yet has one foot in country and another in the indie genre. Feels very much like a sunday morning type song.

Thomas Azier, Skin & Blister - Dutch Pop

It's a curiously sounding song, with a real sense of ominous to it. Like a spider creeping up a wall with stealth and precision. It's a very low key and sexy sounding song and I personally really like it.

The Starlings, Just Come Home - Belgian Pop

This is a nice song. Really resonates a winter feeling, with a strong piano and duo really sharing lyrics and moments in the song.

Marc Lavoine, Manhattan - French Pop

This is a nice cool listen, with a singer that for my knowledge has been around for a long time. I'm unsure if this is a new song, but none the less it is a good listen.

Nazim, Je t'aime - French Pop

A good song. Nice touch of latin mixed in with a very french exotic theme to it.

Foxes, Absolute - UK Pop

Nice and funky. Feels very much like a British single with a good beat to it.

Bryony Dunn, Say It Right - UK Pop

A soothing guitar and very stripped back rendition of an old song. Good attempt.

emlyn, rapunzel - Alt-Z

Has a bit of an attitude to it, quite rude, quite full of itself. A very pop-punky song that works.

Lorren, Silver Lining - Pop Soul

It's a romantic exotic song with some touch of latin attached.

14/01/2022 - 20/01/2022

Genres Searched: Contemporary Country; Country; Indie Folk; Indie Pop; Norwegian Pop; Rap; Swedish Pop; Viral Pop;

Yumi Zouma, In The Eyes Of Our Love - Indie Pop

This is quite a funky 80s-esque song mixed with good modern day vocals and sound.

EXES, Wish I Was You - Indie Pop

This is a nice listen, with a good beat, a fun melody, and feels very much like an early 2010s song.

Thomas Rhett, Angels - Contemporary Country

I found it to be a nice country ballad, with a strong confident voice attached.

Colin & Caroline, Miles Away - Viral Pop

Containing a mixture of country twang as well as a smooth side to it that makes it a good song.

Marissa Nadler, Seabird - Indie Folk

This is a very cool collected song. Has the mood of a nice sunday morning with the coffee and the armchair, with a midnight jasmine scent to it.

Lael Neale, Hotline - Indie Folk

It's a nice song, which is more alternative and a good voice attached.

highasakite, Mother - Norwegian Pop

There's a good style attached to this song. Very atmospheric with a heavy beat to it. It does however change style midway through.

Tenille Towenes, When's It Gonna Happen - Country

I found this to be an easy fun country song with a real sense of wholesomeness attached to it.

MaRynn Taylor, Every Single Summer - Country

It is very country pop, very much in the vein of Taylor Swift or Miley Cyrus. It feels very much like a joyful summer song.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

14/01/2022 - 20/01/2022

Thomas Rhett, Angels - Contemporary Country

I found it to be a nice country ballad, with a strong confident voice attached.

I love Thomas Rhett's voice.

His father, Rhett Akins, sings one of my favorite songs:

21/01/2022 - 27/01/2022

Genres Searched: Norwegian Pop; Pop;

Quite a quiet week this week as I am in the process of moving and therefore not doing much new music searching. This is the best I have.

Alessia Cara, Best Days - Pop

It is a slow ballad, but I am a fan of Alessia Cara since hearing her rendition of 'How Far I Go' from Moana. Very heavy on piano, with a sad regretful song as the theme.

Lennon Stella, Hey Beautiful - Pop

Whatever your feelings on How I Met Your Father, the spin off to How I Met Your Mother, the song itself is good. Cool and trendy and nice to listen to again and again.

Emeli Sande, Brighter Days - Pop

I like Emeli Sande. I even met her years ago once, very friendly. But her new song is here, and it definitely feels very gospel like. Lots of clapping. Lots of piano. A strong vocal range from Emeli Sande and I like it.

Chris Holsten, Hoyt over havet - Norwegian Pop

A mixtrue of a nice winter tech vibe, which is nice and fun, and possesses a bit of dance to it.

Rotlaus, Du - Norwegian Pop

Feels like a very folky song, as I tend to imagine mountains and greenscapes. It's an easy listening and very relaxing to listen to.