Is Die Hard a XMAS movie?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I think doing that would obviously have created a different reaction in the audience, since it would completely undermine the arc of their reconcillation that the film set up; it was John who picked the fight with Holly over her maiden name (and he did so after she tried to draw him closer by inviting him to stay at her house for Christmas, to boot), and it was John we see explicitly admitting that he was in the wrong afterward. How much more explicit can the movie make things? I mean, it's not like we never see Holly on her own later on, so we very easily could've had a parallel scene where she talks to one of her co-hostages about how she's going to quit her job and move back to New York to live with him if she survives, but we never get that scene, because the whole point of the film's character arcs is that John's the one who has to change, not her.
Oh okay, I was thinking more along the lines of what if they wrote so that John was right all along and it was Holly who had to realize, maybe she shouldn't moved, should have kept her last name, etc. The set up would be the same but that he was 'right' all along according to the writer's anyway. Not that I think the movie should have went this way, but it just seems that either person could be right in this situation and it's a real coin flipper.

Better Living Through Movie Quotes
I see what you are saying, that maybe a more balanced (they were BOTH wrong) angle would have been preferable. The movie is definitely written that John was in the wrong and the primary backstory in the movie is him coming to realize this. If Holly was experiencing a similar epiphany about her own blame, it simply was not written into the movie. She's actually a minor character in the film

In the movie as written, John is a bit of alpha male suffering from excess pride and who sacrificed the unity and long term security of his family to save face. On the other hand, Holly probably should have warned John and explained to John why she was going by her maiden name before he stumbled upon it and got stung by it moments before their meeting.

Oh okay. I didn't think that John being an alpha male had anything to do with it, as I thought a lot of women would be disappointed if their husbands left for another city and career too, but perhaps it does. It's true she is a more minor character, so they would have had to beef her up I guess if they were to write it that way.

Oh okay. I didn't think that John being an alpha male had anything to do with it, as I thought a lot of women would be disappointed if their husbands left for another city and career too, but perhaps it does. It's true she is a more minor character, so they would have had to beef her up I guess if they were to write it that way.
Yup. Plus, you also have to take the details into account, because it's John who uses Holly's maiden name first at the end, which is him signaling that he's accepting her independence, so her then using her married name isn't some sign that she's giving up that independence, but just that she's accepting John accepting her independence, and reconciling with him, which is what she was trying to do in the first place by inviting him over for Christmas earlier, before he picked the fight. Plus, why on Earth would she not use her married name at the end? She's not at work in any sort of a remotely normal situation, and he had just saved her life, so insisting on calling herself "Ms. Gennaro" would've just made her look like the world's coldest person, which she very much was not meant to be.

Sorry don t mean to be rude, but christmas not xmas

It's pretty much the same.

You're confusing Xmas movies with XXXmas movies, like The Passions of Carol.

It's pretty much the same.
It isn t at least to people who believe and respect believing in god almighty, i will always say christmas not else

This thread is the epitome of why I stick to my "'Tapeheads' or 'Spinners' Thread" as most everything on here is the becomance of things like "quasi-politico-gender-role-play/analysis" and "I'm going to [get offended]... over [insert "what now"]." Dude, I'm a Christian, but why the Hell would I spend energy getting all "hot and bothered" over "Xmas" not "Christmas." Really people, get a hobby.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

It isn t at least to people who believe and respect believing in god almighty, i will always say christmas not else

But isn't the X an abbreviation of the word "Christ" in another language? At least that's what I thought. I think we might be straying a bit too far, but it's a serious question.

No.

The initial question was: "Is Die Hard a Xmas movie?"

A innocent and fun "Holiday Inquiry" ruined once again by the Millennials on these forums who either took it as a means to discuss the "gender politics" of Die Hard, [and virtue about why-oh-why there offended this time] OR I'm not calling Xmas "Xmas" because blah-blah-blah? Well you know what? I've recently decided to become a Jewish convert... and "I don't roll on Shabbos."

Here's the correct answer, [of two]:

I don't believe [Die Hard is a Xmas movie] because... state your business.

Or,

[What I happen to believe...]

Die Hard IS a Xmas movie because "Now I have a machine gun. Ho, ho, ho." and "Christmas in Hollis" by Run-D.M.C.

Bingo-bango. That's what an answer to this thread "should" look like.

Better Living Through Movie Quotes
You're like The Passions of Carol.

You mean, "An X-Mas Carol"?

You mean, "An X-Mas Carol"?
You jest, but The Passions of Carol actually is a real movie (and a pretty good one, for what it is).

Falconetti's second-best performance, tbh

The lead actress also has short hair.

Not nearly as much crying though, thankfully.

Yup. Plus, you also have to take the details into account, because it's John who uses Holly's maiden name first at the end, which is him signaling that he's accepting her independence, so her then using her married name isn't some sign that she's giving up that independence, but just that she's accepting John accepting her independence, and reconciling with him, which is what she was trying to do in the first place by inviting him over for Christmas earlier, before he picked the fight. Plus, why on Earth would she not use her married name at the end? She's not at work in any sort of a remotely normal situation, and he had just saved her life, so insisting on calling herself "Ms. Gennaro" would've just made her look like the world's coldest person, which she very much was not meant to be.
Oh I still meant that John and Holly could still reconcile in the end. it's just that if she told Al to tell her to apologize on her behalf instead, would it have made for a worse movie at all?

Another thing I wonder about the plot, is how was Hans plan suppose to have worked?

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
His plan was to blow up the roof and kill the hostages.
But wouldn't the FBI and investigators question, why would these guys want to set off a bomb and blow themselves up, and where are their body parts among the hostages?
It just wreaks of a total set up fake death and people just wouldn't believe it, unless I am wrong?

No.

The initial question was: "Is Die Hard a Xmas movie?"

A innocent and fun "Holiday Inquiry" ruined once again by the Millennials on these forums who either took it as a means to discuss the "gender politics" of Die Hard, [and virtue about why-oh-why there offended this time]
I'm not 100% sure if this was directed at me specifically, but just to clarify, I wasn't discussing the gender dynamics in Die Hard in order to whine about how offended I was by how "regressive" they are, but in order to defend the movie for being more progressive on that front than it gets credit for, in light of the bad faith interpretations that people trying to force an agenda have been targeting it with lately.

But isn't the X an abbreviation of the word "Christ" in another language? At least that's what I thought. I think we might be straying a bit too far, but it's a serious question.
Apparently i wrote it somewhere on facebook long time ago, and i had my cousin tell me, u shouldn t write Xmas, it s christmas and there shouldn t be an abreviation.it s kind of lack of respect to the word

...in light of the bad faith interpretations that people trying to force an agenda have been targeting it with lately.
In light of what people? People in your own camp? Now there's division within division—great.

Have you ever put a greater "wager" that perhaps the scriptwriters back in ~'88 just wanted to make a "entertaining" film? Maybe haul in on some cash? And were much less concerned about these "plot devices," [or even the fact that there would be such a debate on "Whether of not its a Xmas film"—as it came out in July '88!], that you're all so "penis and vagina" about? I'd love to hear what Freud would think of this generation. Most certainly.

Anyway,

Back to my "Format Thread..." I go!