My Favorite "Triple Threat" Performers

Tools    

Anthony Ramos is a triple threat...so is his Hamilton co-star Leslie Odom Jr. Have you seen Ramos in In the Heights? He's spectacular
I hate musicals so, no, I haven’t. Surprising to me was the rather negative review of this movie by the New York Times.

Leslie Odom, Jr.

This guy first came to my attention in the recurring role of a minister on Law and Order: SVU. He recently received his first Oscar nomination for his performance in One Night in Miami and is probably best known for his Tony-nominated role as Aaron Burr in the Lin-Manuel Miranda smash Hamilton. I have posted his recording "Go Crazy" and his showstopping number from Hamilton, "The Room where it Happens". This guy has the talent do anything he wants to do and is on the cusp of household name status (but that's another list).

Donald O'Connor

Of course, everyone knows what an incredible dancer O'Connor was and he stole every scene he was in in the classic Singin in the Rain. but for those of you who don't think of him as a singer, you might want to check out this clip of him and Ethel Merman in Call Me Madam:

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Leslie Odom, Jr.

This guy first came to my attention in the recurring role of a minister on Law and Order: SVU. He recently received his first Oscar nomination for his performance in One Night in Miami and is probably best known for his Tony-nominated role as Aaron Burr in the Lin-Manuel Miranda smash Hamilton. I have posted his recording "Go Crazy" and his showstopping number from Hamilton, "The Room where it Happens". This guy has the talent do anything he wants to do and is on the cusp of household name status (but that's another list).

I haven't seen Hamilton yet, but I'm familiar with Leslie Odom, Jr. from the TV show "SMASH". From what I've seen, he definitely belongs on this list. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Hamilton.

I love his voice in this video:

Donald O'Connor

Of course, everyone knows what an incredible dancer O'Connor was and he stole every scene he was in in the classic Singin in the Rain. but for those who don't think of him as a singer, you might want to check out this clip of him and Ethel Merman in Call Me Madam:

I'm glad to see Donald O'Connor on the list, but I expected him to be much higher.

Ben Vereen

He began his career on Broadway originating the role of Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar and won a Tony Award for his Leading Player in the Bob Fosse musical Pippin. I have posted a clip from his Emmy-nominated performance as Chicken George in the landmark mini-series Roots and to show off his singing ability, I have posted a number from Pippin called "On the Right Track".

Ginger Rogers

Everyone knows she was one half of Hollywood greatest dance team, but she was also a superb screen comedienne and strong dramatic actress as well. I've posted clips of Ginger without Fred and without tap shoes. There is a scene from the 1952 comedy Monkey Business and the 1951 drama Storm Warning:

Shirley MacLaine

She began her career dancing on Broadway in the chorus of the original production of The Pajama Game when Carol Haney, who was playing Gladys, broke her ankle, and Shirley was plucked from the chorus line to replace her. A few years later, she made her film debut being directed by none other than Alfred Hitchcock and the rest is history, a history that includes six Oscar nominations and six Emmy nominations, winning one of each. I have selected one clip that I think all by itself shows why Shirley MacLaine is a triple threat...this is her performing "If They Could See Me Now" from the 1969 film version of Sweet Charity:

I've heard that too...I heard that she and Debra Winger drove each other nuts while making Terms of Endearment...when MacLaine accepted her Oscar for the film, she referred to Winger as "dear, disturbed Debra."

Joel Grey

For my money, one of the most underrated triple threats in the business who has been performing since the age of 10. He is most famous for the role of the Master of Ceremonies in Cabaret, a role that won him a Tony for the stage show and an Oscar for the screen version. Every time this guy hits a stage it's a one-man-show. I have posted clips from the film version of Cabaret performing "Money Money" with Liza Minnelli, his Tony-nominated role in the Broadway musical George M and from the recent revival of Chicago stopping the show with "Mr.Cellophane" at a benefit for John Kander and Fred Ebb.

Ben Vereen

He began his career on Broadway originating the role of Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar and won a Tony Award for his Leading Player in the Bob Fosse musical Pippin. I have posted a clip from his Emmy-nominated performance as Chicken George in the landmark mini-series Roots and to show off his singing ability, I have posted a number from Pippin called "On the Right Track".

I forgot about Ben Vereen. Great choice. He's an incredible dancer.

Debbie Reynolds

It was a short trip from being a teenage Miss Burbank to getting signed at MGM to star with Gene Kelly in the iconic Singin in the Rain at the tender age of 18. In a career that spanned over 60 years, Reynolds did it all. I wanted to show off Reynolds' dancing skills somewhere other than Singin in the Rain, so I chose a production number called "A Kiss or Two" from Hit the Deck. And to showcase her severely underrated talents as an actress...check out this scene with Don Rickles in the 1960 film The Rat Race: