What is wrong with jake gyllenhal

Tools    

He is one of those actors who isn't really a movie star. His looks are somewhere between a character actor and a movie star. His nose is a big giveaway. But for some reason he tried being a moviestar with prince of persia and love and other drugs and failed. So he caved into doing character dramas. But since he doesn't have the star power needed to attract big budget prestige projects , he is stuck with this mediocre to good but wannabe great oscar bait movies with directors that are b list(end of watch ,stronger ,demolition ,nightcrawler, southpaw,everest,life). There is nothing more sad than a failed oscar bait movie.your thoughts ? He seems to be just on the cusp of something big but is being heldback due to something that is inherent to his skill/talent.

I think he has movie star looks, but Hollywood is bad at making the distinction between "looks like a movie star" and "can carry a certain kind of movie." They did something similar with Alec Baldwin, who's actually really talented and seems way better in odd or supporting roles than he does as some kind of cliche leading man. You could argue it happened with Ben Affleck, too.

I don't think there's necessarily some inherent flaw (reading narratives or attempting faraway psychoanalysis is rarely more than random speculation), nor do I think he fell back on these kinds of roles.

My guess is he's just not that interested in being a prototypical movie star, which seems pretty well reflected in his choice of roles. He picks weird, challenging roles, and he mostly nails them. I think this is what he prefers doing, and what he's best at.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I don't think anything is wrong with Jake Gyllenhaal. In-particular, his latest films like Nightcrawler have been great. Also really liked Donnie Darko and Prisoners. Nothing but appreciation.

This might just do nobody any good.
Have you ever considered that, perhaps, your idea of stardom, at least as far as actors go, is antiquated and the reason so many of who you perceive to be “on the cusp” are following a different trail? Isn’t it weird that Gyllenhaal, like others (Ryan Gosling, Armie Hammer, Chris Evans, Tom Hardy, etc.) who were once touted as future stars in that classical sense, opted for careers more akin to character actors? That they seem to value challenging themselves and growing in their talents more than achieving ubiquity?

Yeah, I was thinking something similar but just barely decided not to include it in my previous post.

Obviously, money is important and matters a lot, but there are manifestly all sorts of decisions, particularly creative ones, that are not completely (or even primarily) under its sway. There's definitely an Internet thing, too, where people try to grapple with the vast unknown of human behavior by trying to shoehorn it into something quantifiable, like budget or box office or online review scores, even though it's wildly insufficient to discuss things like actor motivation.

I can very much sympathize with the desire to make sense of the tangled web that is everybody else, but it really can't be summarized by one metric that they care about to varying (and fluctuating) degrees.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I cant even read your op.

My glasses need a clean.So my takeaway from t his is his nose.I love his nose. Have me arrested immediatwly.

Have you ever considered that, perhaps, your idea of stardom, at least as far as actors go, is antiquated and the reason so many of who you perceive to be “on the cusp” are following a different trail? Isn’t it weird that Gyllenhaal, like others (Ryan Gosling, Armie Hammer, Chris Evans, Tom Hardy, etc.) who were once touted as future stars in that classical sense, opted for careers more akin to character actors? That they seem to value challenging themselves and growing in their talents more than achieving ubiquity?
it isn't more about opting and rather not having a choice...actors can't take on movies like die hard/sylvester stallone movies/arnold movies if they want longevity in hollywood. You don't want to be doing movies like expendables when you hit 50s. Actors want to make movies that stand the test of time. So, most of the current actors choose to make quality movies. But the only problem with them is that they don't make money at box office like blockbusters.

All the actors you mentioned would kill to have movies like wolf of wallstreet/ departed/ revenant. But they just can't get the funding/directors to make movies like that. Ryan gosling got close with blade runner but it bombed.Each time there is a bomb like blade runner 2049 his ability to make big budget movies reduces.

Tom hardy tried child 44 but it bombed. Thats a big budget movie. So with all the internet popularity of tom hardy look how that thing turned out. Even a movie like venom might fit him well but the director of the movie made gangster squad and its a sony movie. So there are lot of problems with the movie. It has to do with not having a choice.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
damn ferret choker >=\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

ROFL
sorry, was kind of an inside reference/joke.
Cat_Sidhe posted a video clip with him holding a ferret a few days back in the Drunj Thread. It's like the second or third post on the last page. There is a shot of him walking down stairs with a ferret in his hand and it looks like he's choking the life out of it. Unintentionally, of course.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...91#post1897191

Also, I was surprised to find that there are 3 pages worth of posts that at least use the word ferret. Impressive, MOFOs. most impressive.

Also, I was surprised to find that there are 3 pages worth of posts that at least use the word ferret. Impressive, MOFOs. most impressive.
And even more impressive - you didn't even need to ferret around to find them

And even more impressive - you didn't even need to ferret around to find them
Save that for the shoutbox.

Gods, I love Jake Gyllenhaal. Word is he's a music snob too.
You never told me

He is one of those actors who isn't really a movie star. His looks are somewhere between a character actor and a movie star. His nose is a big giveaway. But for some reason he tried being a moviestar with prince of persia and love and other drugs and failed.
He tends to be topped billed in films that get released. He was up for Spider-man but lost it to Tobey Maguire which is when I think he pivoted away from big budget soulless cash grabs.

So he caved into doing character dramas. But since he doesn't have the star power needed to attract big budget prestige projects , he is stuck with this mediocre to good but wannabe great oscar bait movies with directors that are b list(end of watch ,stronger ,demolition ,nightcrawler, southpaw,everest,life).
So you are saying the following filmmakers are B-List

Tom Ford (Nocturnal Animals)
Joon-Ho- Bong (Okja)
David Ayer (End of Watch)
Duncan Jones (Source Code)
Jim Sheridan (Brothers)
Sam Mendes (Jarhead)
David Fincher (Zodiac)
Ang Lee (Brokeback Mountain)
John Madden (Proof)
Dennis Villanueve (Prisoners)

There is nothing more sad than a failed oscar bait movie.your thoughts ? He seems to be just on the cusp of something big but is being heldback due to something that is inherent to his skill/talent.
As someone who loved Everest and Prisoners I have no qualms with Jake's choices. He's at that mid-range acting point where he's not getting the young man roles and he's not getting the older male gravitas roles but I assume he's going to win an Oscar at some point

That I love him or that he's a music snob?
LOL take your pick!

What is wrong with jake, OP? Maybe he just has man flu. Plenty of bad ones doing the rounds. Does he take the vaccine every year without fail?

Ohman I just thought of him in Brokeback because I was triggered whislt sucking on a stick of licorice from my childhood (gee that's a long time to have a stick of licorice hanging around). it reminded me of cowboys 'chewing the cud'. My nephew who lives in USA does that. So grown up of him but a nasty habit, for sure! Nastier than chewing on things from one's childhood!!!