What Makes a Movie Great? (reflection, not debate)

Tools    

I want to talk about this without entering the objective vs subjective debate. I've been thinking a lot lately about movies like Star Wars, Starship Troopers and Saving Private Ryan. Compare them with Blade Runner, Come and See, and Stalingrad. People enjoy movies for all kinds of reasons, and most of the time they don't even know why they liked it or didn't like it, and the reasons they come up with are either dishonest or ignorant. I find it a challenge within myself to identify why I like or dislike something, and I try to be honest with myself, and I try to learn and grow. Sometimes I say "the cinematography was great," but I don't really know much about cinematography or what makes it great. And I see so many people saying some movie is great while other people say it's bad, and even people who have similar taste don't agree about a lot of movies.

What I was thinking about Star Wars, Starship Troopers, and Saving Private Ryan is that these are three movies a ton of people adore, but I usually find that the people who's taste and knowledge of cinema I respect the most hate these two movies and write them off as garbage. These are people who if you mention Godard, Ozu, and Tarkovsky will say, "Oh absolutely, they're magnificent." And as I've been exposing myself to more of these great arthouse directors I've been starting to feel the same way. So what makes Stalingrad a great movie if Saving Private Ryan is crap? I watched The Empire Strikes Back a few weeks ago after having not watched it for years. I used to love the original Star Wars trilogy so much up until now. When I watched it last I just couldn't help but notice how implausible some scenarios were, and how the dialogue was nice and pleasant but never dealt with anything particularly meaningful. A Wampa sneaks up on Luke even though it's a huge noisy creature. A Tauntaun dies from the cold in it's natural habitat before it's human rider, and instead of going through hypothermia it just drops dead instantly. Luke, Han, and Lando become generals with no explanation or military responsibilities. There are a lot of things like that which make no sense at all. Now I know that a lot of people would say that's nit picking, and you're just supposed to have fun and not think to much about it. Well, that's fine, but you can't call a movie truly great when it has so many flaws and little merit beyond "it's entertaining." For some people entertainment is all they think movies are. Those people probably think that art is just something you see in museums.

Consider Star Wars to be a movie that people love because it's entertaining and has a certain production level that makes it visually appealing to the untrained eye. What sets the par for excellence so high that Star Wars does not even come close to reaching it? Alternatively consider how Stalingrad portrays war and the lives of soldiers. Star Wars is about war, but we see nothing of the agony of the wounded and dying, or the trauma of veterans, the fear of death, the moral dilema of killing, survival, etc... Star Wars is a childish concept of war and an unrealistic fantasy of adventure. I've heard so often from people who were in the army that they joined with foolish ideals of adventure and the reality of war was shocking and sobering. But Star Wars is about a kid who dreams of joining the army and going on an adventure, and instead of being surprised by the reality of war it actually turns out to be that his childish dreams come true. It's like the fanfiction of a child who has no grasp on how the real world works.

The two main areas of importance that I see so far in my understanding of cinema are technical mastery and meaningful content. Technical mastery includes directing, cinematography, acting, etc... And meaningful content refers to how it's subject matter is handled, how events transpire, how characters behave, what kind of things they talk about, and whether all of these things are reflected in a meaningful way. Realism is not the only portrayal with merit. Anyone can write that a character accomplishes a task, it's not impressive if the character does what's in the script because it's in the script. The real question is whether what's accomplished is done as it would have been done in real life. Other forms besides realism, like surrealism, find merit in how they make the viewer reflect, or how creative they are.

I'm still learning a lot, and since joining movieforums.com my most exciting growth in cinema has been exposure to arthouse. But I think that arguing about quality with people like Miss Vicky, Iroquois, and Omnizoa has been extremely unproductive and even stressful. I prefer when I get a sense of clarity and reflect on other people's perspectives and sharing my own with those who are interested instead of cramming my personal opinions down other peoples' throats and trying to force them to adopt my perspective.

So I'm curious to hear what insights you guys have into what makes a movie great. Where are you guys at in your personal growth, and where are you striving to be?

There reasonable suspension of disbelief and then there's Rule of Cool.

In the TV thread I said I like Stargate more than Paranoia Agent. Paranoia Agent is a genius work of social commentary and I think it's ****in' great, but being so dense and intense makes it much less digestable. Generally something light and semi-serious like Stargate is more comfortable to absorb and rewatch. You don't need to be in a "mood".

I also think our debates can be productive, it just takes a little meaningful give-and-take.

Master of My Domain
Consider Star Wars to be a movie that people love because it's entertaining and has a certain production level that makes it visually appealing to the untrained eye. What sets the par for excellence so high that Star Wars does not even come close to reaching it? Alternatively consider how Stalingrad portrays war and the lives of soldiers. Star Wars is about war, but we see nothing of the agony of the wounded and dying, or the trauma of veterans, the fear of death, the moral dilema of killing, survival, etc... Star Wars is a childish concept of war and an unrealistic fantasy of adventure. I've heard so often from people who were in the army that they joined with foolish ideals of adventure and the reality of war was shocking and sobering. But Star Wars is about a kid who dreams of joining the army and going on an adventure, and instead of being surprised by the reality of war it actually turns out to be that his childish dreams come true. It's like the fanfiction of a child who has no grasp on how the real world works.
That's because Star Wars is not supposed to be realistic in any way. The basic premise itself is totally far-fetched and nothing to do with actual science. By involving lightsabers and hyperdrive, the film is begging the audience from the start to suspend all disbelief, so why even expect realism from such an attitude. Star Wars is childish but it isn't so because it intends to shut itself out from reality. It's purpose is to put imagination and creativity into minds of children, and provide nostalgia and a nice break for adults. Star Wars is not a war film. It is a remarkable action (and somewhat sci-fi) film praising bravery, friendship, and love. If Star Wars had, let's say, imagery of soldiers lying around with pain, would I have been able to pick up my Star Wars lego set and have my own original adventures? No other movie has had such an effect, and it's why it's brilliant. So you can dislike Star Wars for not having a portrayal of events that are considered worthy of praise, but you can't deny it's quality by comparing it to Stalingrad or The Thin Red Line.

Originally Posted by Zotis
That TV tropes site is really interesting.
Hell yeah.

Originally Posted by Gatsby
That's because Star Wars is not supposed to be realistic in any way. The basic premise itself is totally far-fetched and nothing to do with actual science. By involving lightsabers and hyperdrive, the film is begging the audience from the start to suspend all disbelief,
Not ALL, just a reasonable degree.

Think of how much less popular it'd be if Luke's lightsaber was never sourced, he just HAD IT.

Or if one of the main characters actually got hit by a blaster, but shrugged it off when it kills everyone else. We can generally suspend oir disbelief that a squad of troopers might consistently miss a target at mid-to-long distance than when a weapon, established to be lethal, strikes but doesn't kill a less armored target.

What makes a movie great? Boobs.

Boobs make a movie great.

Luke, Han, and Lando become generals with no explanation or military responsibilities
I don't recall any specific line about their rank in an unofficial military.

Master of My Domain
Not ALL, just a reasonable degree.
Sorry, I tend to get a bit hyperbolic when I refute against a post that grinds my gears.

Hard to argue that. 12 Angry Men is nothing without the boobage.
That Henry Fonda's got a nice rack.

Welcome to the human race...
Damn, I had a longer reply typed up but the token expired and wouldn't let me post it. Anyway, here's the gist of it - I try to assess a film on its own terms rather than hold it up against a bunch of arbitrary Great Film criteria. That way, I don't dismiss a film because it doesn't match up to a cinematic ideal that it was never really trying to achieve in the first place. This is exemplified by your stating that Star Wars does not qualify as a great film for not treating the concept of warfare as seriously as Come and See does (besides which, it's not like Luke fighting for the Rebels is nothing but childish fun and games either, but that's a conversation for another time, I guess). This isn't significantly different from the hypothetical "pleb" who only likes simple Hollywood crowd-pleasers and writes off old/foreign/artistic films as "pretentious". Of course, this isn't to say that you have to like Hollywood crowd-pleasers, but you at least have to be willing to bend your expectations a little and be receptive to what Film A is trying to do rather than dislike it simply because it doesn't do the exact same thing as Film B or if it seems similar to Film C.

I think it comes down to how you relate to the narrative and how it stimulates/provokes you. IMO , the artform in cinematic Zeitgeist is to aid man's understanding of his place in the universe. It serves as a tool for cultural progression (or in some cases, degeneration). Classical storytelling, or conventional narrative structures might be the most effective way to convey meaning in this artform b/c filmmaking is imitation of life, and life is an assemblage of narrative patterns. The human mind forms meaning by association, by finding meaninful patterns. Some great Directors like Tarkovsky and Bergman toy around w/ the conventional storytelling structure but their themes make you question what you thought that you believed in -- essentially taking the conventions and turning them on their head w/o violating it's inherent nature. On the flip side, you have abstract forms of filmmaking where the creator attempts to destroy narrative structures by creating ambiguous art intended as sensorial experiences. Almost like a drug-induced maze. (Lynch's Inland Empire being an example) But, everything we see in film is subject to interpretation. We assign value and meaning to these things based on our own experiences. We label them, we associate them w/ a certain context and they become valuable to us.

The thing about Star Wars is that it's a firm representation of the traditional narrative approach that proved successful in the 30s and 40s stream of Hollywood fare. It's simple in it's approach to mirror reality through a glamorous lens of caricatural fiction. You have to remember that most people watch movies as a form of escapism from their laboring reality. They come home and want to be entertained without necessarily being intellectually challenged or faced w/ the harsher realities of war. Star Wars is the perfect vehicle to explore these themes on a surface level but also mask it with a simplified tale of good vs evil which is a cultural concept that people identify with. The movie's premise is founded on war but there's a metaphorical moat between that world and ours in it's sensationalism and fantastical nature.

Personally speaking, what makes a good film is a director that stays true to their conventions and inherent laws of the world they created. A movie that simultaneously provokes me to think while being immersif enough as a world that I can lose myself in. I hate propaganda-driven films but there are exceptions like Soy Cuba which was propaganda-driven but at the same time mocking it's own nature and also forwarding an influencial cinematographic visual style.

At the end of a day, the gist of it is: An effective movie in forwarding the medium, and a subjectively fulfilling movie being two distinctive criterias to measure greatness.

What makes a movie great to me is if it delivers exactly as advertised, and it surprises me by being even better than I thought itd be. It introduces new concepts in a story or storytelling. The acting is unreserved, the dialogue perfectly timed. The director has a inspired story to tell, and does it effortlessly. There has to be an emotional resonance even if its fantasy.

...what makes a movie great...
IMO... 'in my opinion' is something that a lot of people don't understand. They state their 'opinions' like it's a 'global truth' for all. If we're debating facts, then there might be only one 'truth'. But when it comes to something subjective as a movie, then there's no one right opinion ...and it's BS for anyone to claim their opinion is more valid than the next guy.

For any movie ever made there will be people who love it and hate it. And often it becomes in-vogue to feel one way or another about a film. Even at MoFo meme-isms influence how some people feel about films. I've noticed it's the cool thing to knock critically acclaimed Hollywood big pictures like Saving Private Ryan, Star Wars or Titanic (1997). People often try to make themselves look smarter by panning popularism, and then endorsing more obscure stuff. It happens with aficionados of wine, travel, literature and even film.

So, IMO what makes a good film...is when the film achieves what it sets out to do and it then resonates on some level with the viewer. That's it.

what makes a good film...is when the film achieves what it sets out to do
There's objectivity in that.

.... But I think that arguing about quality with people like Miss Vicky, Iroquois, and Omnizoa has been extremely unproductive and even stressful. I prefer when I get a sense of clarity and reflect on other people's perspectives and sharing my own with those who are interested instead of cramming my personal opinions down other peoples' throats and trying to force them to adopt my perspective.
Then you should try discussing films with me Zotis, seriously. I never try to cram my opinion down anyone's throat.

That's because Star Wars is not supposed to be realistic in any way. The basic premise itself is totally far-fetched and nothing to do with actual science. By involving lightsabers and hyperdrive, the film is begging the audience from the start to suspend all disbelief, so why even expect realism from such an attitude.
There was too much to address at once, but I just wanted to stop you there to get on some level terms with you.

For the record, I actually do like Star Wars, and I believe I said so in my original post. Just because I'm pointing out flaws and don't consider them great movies doesn't mean I don't like them. I just don't consider my personal feelings a criteria for greatness.

When you say Star Wars isn't realistic at all, you're exagerating right? They speak English, a real language, they walk on the ground, and they appear to have their body parts in the right place. Every movie is realistic to a degree and unrealistic to a degree. Maybe you could give me a little more context on what you mean? You mention light sabers and hyperdrives. Hypathetical technology is not unrealistic just because it hasn't been invented yet. They could get made some day. But the reason why I think they are ridiculous is because if and when they do exist they won't exist like that. But they could have done research and come up with some kind of high powered blow torch or light speed travel that required slowing down more gradually or longer space travel with cryo sleep like Riddick.

The question is, was this content extremely well thought out, creative, meaningful, and executed in a way that demonstrates master workmanship? Or was it a product of laziness, ignorance, and borrowed from other sources?

I do not expect realism from such movies. I expect them to be as ridiculous as they are. If it's trying to be a crap movie and succeeds, then it IS a crap movie.

I mentioned surrealism and creativity already. A movie doesn't have to be realistic to be great, but it does have to actually achieve greatness, and that requires a striving that most people will never attempt in their life. I'm sure there are lots of girls who feel as strongly about Twilight as you do about Star Wars.

Luke, Han, and Lando become generals with no explanation or military responsibilities
I don't recall any specific line about their rank in an unofficial military.
Return of the Jedi, right before they attack the Death Star.

i agree that is nearly impossible to discuss what makes a good movie..
i wouldnt judge a comedy the same way i judge a drama.

for me maybe: a good cast,a relatable or realistic plotline-something that triggers your emotion.and you can go far with a good soundtrack.

for me,some of the best movies ive seen are movies ive only seen once. because they either outraged me or depressed me or broke my heart.

however for a lot of movie makers it seems to be very simple:
pretty people.

and thats its. or sometimes not even pretty people but people with good bodies.