Point Break Vs Speed
68.97%
20 votes
Point Break
31.03%
9 votes
Speed
29 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Which is better?

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
Oh I like them both for different reasons! Went with speed because I like how it's a whole movie based around a single simple concept.

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.

Speed is a fine example on how to make a great action movie. The bomb on a bus concept is only half of it. It also needs a likeable hero, which it acheives in Keanu Reeves as Jack Traven. Reeves would never be better, being a physical fit for the character and also humourous in some parts. He also delivers every cheesy line of dialogue in a wonderfully macho fashion, a strong improvement over his performance as Johnny Utah. Everything else is perfect in this movie, from Dennis Hopper's epic psycho performance and the excellent stunts, but I rate Point Break higher.

The main problem with Speed, and Point Break in some ways, is that they're dragged to the fullest extent. At least Point Break's ending was worth watching, but after Hopper loses his head (literally), Speed goes off the tracks (literally). When Keanu says to Sandy Bullock "He lost his head", the movie is over for me.

Point Break is high-octane fun. Keanu is the only weak link for me, but he isn't as bad as others who consider themselves "action heroes", like Jason bloody Statham. Patrick Swayze is way charismatic, the surfing and skydiving scenes are exhilarating and Bodhi and Utah are the ultimate cinema bro's. Also gets points for referencing Roadhouse.

Just my opinions on the subject.

I have to go with Point Break. It might be nostalgia speaking but I always loved that movie. It’s the movie that made me want to learn how to surf and I can’t think of a better way to go out then the way Swayze does at the end by riding a 50 foot wave. The surfing and skydiving scenes are amazing and shot really well and there are some decent philosophical ideas hiding behind the macho brah posturing.
Plus it has John C “Dr. Cox” McGinley AND Gary Busey!
“Utah get me 2!”

Point Break for all the reasons listed and because it has perhaps the greatest foot chase in cinema history.

Plus Lori Petty is super hot, IMO.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Point Break has better characters to enjoy, but Speed is the more enjoyable film all together.

Suspect's Reviews

Point Break without question.

I love Speed, but Point Break has more interesting characters, really spectacular scenes, the right amount of humor and, between Lori Petty and Patrick Swayze, way more sex appeal (in spite of the presence of Gary Busey). I mean, what did Speed have? Dennis Hopper? Not sexy. Jeff Daniels? Definitely not sexy. Sandra Bullock? Pretty, yes. Sexy, no. And forget about Keanu in either movie. He's nice to look at, but as soon as he opens his mouth it's all over.

Haven't seen Point Break in years, gonna have to rewatch to give a definitive answer. From what I remember, it's got to like that Speed, but I do like Speed though.

Speed is a fine example on how to make a great action movie. The bomb on a bus concept is only half of it. It also needs a likeable hero, which it acheives in Keanu Reeves as Jack Traven. Reeves would never be better, being a physical fit for the character and also humourous in some parts. He also delivers every cheesy line of dialogue in a wonderfully macho fashion, a strong improvement over his performance as Johnny Utah. Everything else is perfect in this movie, from Dennis Hopper's epic psycho performance and the excellent stunts, but I rate Point Break higher.

The main problem with Speed, and Point Break in some ways, is that they're dragged to the fullest extent. At least Point Break's ending was worth watching, but after Hopper loses his head (literally), Speed goes off the tracks (literally). When Keanu says to Sandy Bullock "He lost his head", the movie is over for me.

Point Break is high-octane fun. Keanu is the only weak link for me, but he isn't as bad as others who consider themselves "action heroes", like Jason bloody Statham. Patrick Swayze is way charismatic, the surfing and skydiving scenes are exhilarating and Bodhi and Utah are the ultimate cinema bro's. Also gets points for referencing Roadhouse.

Just my opinions on the subject.
The amazing thing about 90s action movies is the way it is filmed, with dedication, one scene brings me right into the immersion when the police arrives to pershing square and that marc mancina score in the background,it s just amazingly creative and immersion drawing to the max, films today don t have that kind of dedication

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
This is a really tough call. Point Break is more character driven and Speed is more action driven. Really hard to decide on this one. Speed does have a much better score though.

You ready? You look ready.
Point Break has better lines to quote in real life.

“Goddamn! You are one radical son of a bitch!”

”Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.”

”They only live to get radical.”

Point Break is a "good bad movie."

Speed is a competent 90's actioner.

I think Point Break has more compensatory value for rewatch with all the "nacho cheese" (e.g., bravado, over the top action, goofy lines). You can always watch Point Break and have a laugh "I AM AN FBI... ...AGENT!!!" whereas I think Speed was arguably a better film in its own moment. It was made a for a moment and it fits that moment.