Choose a Favorite Film and List 10 Reasons Why You Like It So Much

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Ben Afleck is a rapist?

*Faints*

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Dark City

10. Kiefer Sutherland:
A great performance, probably one of his best. He plays the doctor with vulnerability and power.

9. Richard O'Brien: Who? Well, it's Riff Raff from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. He was brilliant in that flick and brilliant here. The perfect villain.

8. Set Design: Brilliant, same sets were used for the Matrix later on. Here they serve a purpose to the narrative and are beautiful to look at.

7. Art Direction: This goes hand in hand with the set design, but includes the costumes and make-up. Everything looked amazing in the time era of the film noirish setting.

6. Cinematography: They captured both sci/fi and film noir perfectly and made both of them co-existing in the same world believable.

5. Alex Proyas: A great eye behind the camera brought this masterpiece to life. Here's hoping his future projects are as good as this one, his best film to date.

4. Jennifer Connelly: Here is an actress that is beautiful and guess what, can actually act. She doesn't seem out of place with her beauty either, she fits right in.

3. Underrated:
Go up to a friend, any friend who isn't a movie buff and mention Dark City, see if they know what the hell you are talking about.

2. The Mystery:
Blending the murder mystery motif in with it's plot line, it was an entertaining ride trying to figure out the truth behind everything with the lead character.

1. It was the Matrix before The Matrix was the Matrix.

Suspect's Reviews

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
City of Lost Children
1. art direction
2. miette
3. the hero- Ron Pearlmen speaking french did get some getting used to, but he worked perfectly as this character. I love the name- One, i love the fact that he's more of a kid than the kids in the movie, and I love him drunk.
4. the plot- interesting and original
5. the cover- This and The Fall are my two favourite covers. I couldn't not rent it.

6. the freaks- any movie that stars a brain and a badass pair of siamese twins gets points.
7. the cyclopses- such cool bad guys!
8. the quirky comedy- Jeunet's humour never fail to click with me
9. the opening scene
1o. fairy tale for grownups- i seem to be a total sucker for these kinds of movies but the combination of wonderful visuals, dark subject matter, symbolism and heart stuffed into one genre is just so perfect.

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!

1. Great Acting
2. The Unpredictability of Tommy's actions
3. It's the friggin' mob, I love mob movies
4. Robert De Niro, love that guy (in a non gay way)
5. it's based on a true story
6. Ray Liotta is very good
7. Very educational about the maffia
8. Great story
9. Easy to follow
10. #15 in IMDB's top 250

There ya go

Spikez's DVD Collection

Last Movie Seen: The Breakfast Club

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Unforgiven

1. Directed and star Clint Eastwood ( thinking he is my favorite actor)
2. Amazing scenery
3. Lover of westerns to me this was an incredible western and story
4. Solid cast
5. Had me on the edge of my seat
6. You felt for Clint Eastwood's character
7. Showed how someone accepting their past and found will to change what they once where
8. Showed the different elements that make up a man
9. Flawless acting
10. Made me want to watch it again after I was done!

Totally enjoyed this and it is on my top 10 list!!

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
+1 to you rice.

The thing about LOTR that REALLY reels me in is how every seemingly minute character plays such a HUGE role in the overall success of the theme. Take a moment to realize that without even ONE of these characters, Frodo would have never made it and the world would have fallen.

- Without Sam, frodo would not have made it (obviously)
- Without Gandalf they would not have made it past the Balrog, among other times where he saved their asses (again obvious)
- Without Merry and Pippin, the Ents would not have destroyed Isengard and Saruman would have been a continuous threat
- Without Aragorn, there would be no courage at the end of Helms Deep, or at the final battle at Mordor. Also the summoning of the dead (among other things)
- Without Faramir's courage, the ring would be in the hands of men and gone corrupt
- Without Eeowyn, the witch king would not have been destroyed
- Theoden's strength, courage, and loyalty are vital
- Legolas and Gimli are very important in battles
- Without Arwen, Aragorn's resolve would not be nearly as strong.
- Smeagol shows the way.

And the list goes on and on. This is promising on a larger scale to see how important even the smallest of roles can be in this adventure. By some, this could be extended to life.

[/geekish LOTR rant]

Brief Encounter

1- It's a brilliant example of how a play can be made into a good film
2- Noel Coward wrote it, and he has a great style
3- The music is so sad
4- The lines are so memorable
5- It's so 'of it's time' and yet still really good
6- It's moral without being preachy
7- It's a romance!
8- It makes you cry
9- You can see how it could be realistic
10- Makes railway stations look romantic

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Last Exit to Brooklyn (Uli Edel, 1989, adapted by Desmond Nakano from the novel by Hubert Selby, Jr.)

1. The movie begins after Mark Knopfler's evocative score plays over the credits. You're immediately placed into an alternate universe where three military men are unfortunate enough to find themselves in the nightmarish world of pimps, whores and scumbags of Brooklyn 1952. Before three minutes pass, all hell has broken loose and you're completely enveloped in a cruel world which you cannot take your eyes away from.

2. We next see a family scene involving Union man Burt Young (Talia Shire's Bro in Rocky) whose family is so busy that he cannot even take a piss in his own apartment. So what does he do? He opens up his tenth (or so) story window and does the pause that refreshes right out into the courtyard below. OK, I'm laughing myself silly at this point, but then I fall off the couch when I hear a voice crying up from below saying, "Why the hell are you throwin' water on my kid's head?"

3. Next scene is an enormous one involving a strike with Burt Young's Union. Jerry Orbach is combustible as the Union organizer, and it's a good hint at some of the awesome set-pieces which are yet to come. Besides that, Daddy Burt gets to look for "Tommy with the bike", the union guy who knocked up his daughter (Ricki Lake). And, oh boy, you've got to see what happens when he finds him.

4. The film was shot entirely in Germany on sound stages, but it never appears cramped or fake at all. In fact the sets seem to be almost as important as all the characters. For example, the scene where the Union tries to break the strike is extremely spectacular and powerful. The fire hoses, the pointy metal fences, the buses trying to crash through; they all turn the film into a massive epic, even if it is an epic unlike any other.

5. The film is a multi-character epic, and although many people find Jennifer Jason Leigh to be the closest thing to a star in the flick, it's actually Stephen Lang who plays the central character and he's just as terrific as Leigh is. Lang has a tougher job though because his character's married to a woman who's hot to trot and he has an infant son, but he seems to be taking more of an interest in some effeminate gay men and really has no concept of who he is or why he does what he does. In fact, Lang thinks he's the biggest guy in the Union during the strike, but eventually Orbach rips him another one because he's just so naive about what his job actually is.

6. Jennifer Jason Leigh's whore Tra La La is a wonderful character who is used and abused and only knows an abusive kind of lifestyle. Even when she finds herself involved with a soldier in an honest and semi-deep relationship, she can only look at it as a success if she receives money.

7. The supporting cast is tremendous even though most of them play thoroughly dislikable characters. They either seem to be trying to take advantage of weaker characters or trying to get something for nothing. The world which Last Exit to Brooklyn depicts is a sad, sobering one, but I somehow find it almost prescient in the way it depicts people who have no morals and also something almost resembling no sexual preference. Let me back up a sec here. True, there are some straight characters and some gay characters, but the majority almost seem to fall into the bisexual or I'll take sex (and "love") where I can find it category. The cast, which mostly pushes this envelope, includes Peter Dobson, Stephen Baldwin, Sam Rockwell, and several others.

8. The most-memorable supporting character though is Georgette, played by Alexis Arquette (some of you may remember him from Pulp Fiction). Anyway, he foreshadows what happens to both the Stephen Lang and the Jennifer Jason Leigh character, although he gets the most spectacularly-humorous scene in the entire film. I really do feel bad about the pathetic Georgette, but at least he's involved with Hubert Selby, Jr. in a personal way in his final scene.

9. What happens to the two major characters is extremely difficult to take, but I still find it more realistic and honest than Aronofsky's adaptation of Selby's Requiem For a Dream. For those who think that Uli Edel is some kind of hack, this is my Exhibit A because not only is this film incredibly competent and involving, it takes a story which is about as off-putting as possible and completely humanizes it to the point where it seems a story about "Everyman". That is something very rare indeed, and as I said last week, it elicts tears from me.

10. The last thing I want to mention about the film version of Last Exit to Brooklyn is that somehow it produces as many smiles and laughs as it does tears and grimaces. The film seems to come full-circle and basically has an uplifting ending, even after displaying some of the most repugnant and disturbing images of any film I've ever seen. I will guarantee you that this is not a film for everybody. In fact, I can't even rationalize why it has such an effect on me, but it's just so cinematic and relates a nightmare world which is far more scary to me than most of David Lynch's films because this one seems like it could be real, as opposed to Lynch's LaLaLand. Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a Lynch Bash. I just wanted to mention that there is a difference and reality usually disturbs and provokes me a lot more than cinematic sleight-of-hand which carries with it a pricetag of head-scratching. I can still scratch at Last Exit to Brooklyn, but it never makes me feel any better or smarter; it just makes me feel as if my Creep can almost go to sleep until tomorrow when it will again raise its sad and disturbing head.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
Fight Club

1. Pitt returns to form after some below par performances in Seven Years in Tibet and the Devils Own. Norton steals the show with a well rounded performance in a role most would pass off as being unplayable.

2. Almost every scene is memorable from the first night of fight club, to the scene in the narrator's boss's office to the scene where Durden confronts the owner of the bar who wants fight club moved elsewhere.

3. The Dust Brothers score.

4. The 90 second title sequence is probably my favourite in any movie travelling through the narrators brain and following his fear impulse.

5. You notice something new in it everytime you watch it, such as Tyler Durden constantly flashing on screen before he first appears and the ciggarte burns add a nice touch.

6. It's a very close adaptation to the source novel by my favourite author Chuck Palahniuk and manages to convey the feeling and tone of the novel.

7. Fincher was the perfect director for the movie as he loved the book and really wanted to make the film. His use of digital images, close ups and his signature dark and moody work is exactly what the film needed.

8. The ending shows so much destruction but is so beautiful with "Where is my mind?" playing in the background.

9. Tyler Durden is one of the best characters in movie history

10. It is the quintessential "lads film"

1. "A drug person can learn to cope with things like seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth. But no one should be asked to handle this trip."

2. Depp

3. Del Toro

4. Original

5. Funny

6. The mind of Hunter S. Thompson

7. Tobey Maguire in bat country

8. Great Soundtrack

9. "Look, there's two women f*cking a polar bear!"

10. Was that a lizard tail he was wearing? oh, yeah....it was.

Welcome to the human race...

Withnail & I
d. Bruce Robinson, 1987

1. The opening sequence.

Thirty million Londoners have to wake up to this...

I like it when a film's opening shot manages to perfect that most difficult of things to capture, the perfect marriage of image and sound. Withnail opens to the soulful saxophone stylings of King Curtis's "A Whiter Shade of Pale", adding a touch of elegance to Marwood's nervous cigarette-smoking. In one simple move, it establishes the film's bittersweet mood brilliantly.

2. Withnail.

I'm a trained actor reduced to the status of a bum!

Deep down, you know you've got to love him and usually you do. He's overly theatrical, perpetually drunk, shamelessly arrogant and ultimately the biggest joy to watch as he flounders his way throughout the film. Richard E. Grant may have gone on to bigger (but maybe not better) things, but this is him at his most distinct, bringing a certain charm to a painfully flawed and ultimately lovable character.

3. "...& I".

My thumbs have gone weird!

While Grant steals the spotlight frequently throughout the show, Paul McGann manages to hold his own as highly-strung straight man Marwood (the "I"). He's at once a sensitive, delicate young man who also goes through a range of emotions as a result of the many trials he ends up going through during the film (often because of Withnail's irresponsible behaviour). In the end, while Withnail is a more interesting character, Marwood's the one that ultimately manages to hold an audience's sympathy from beginning to end. Not bad for a "perfumed ponce".

4. Monty.

There is a certain je nes c'est quoi about a firm, young carrot.

Ah, Monty. Richard Griffiths is Withnail's uncle Monty, a plump old aristocrat who has just as much of a flair for language as his nephew. He is also, in Marwood's words, "insane, and not only that, he's a raving homosexual". His frequent attempts to try and seduce a very unwilling Marwood make for some excellent awkward comedy, especially towards the tail end of the film, where it achieves a poignant sense of tragedy.

5. Danny

If I medicined you, you'd think a brain tumour was a birthday present.

Ralph Brown shines like mud as Danny, a drug dealer that's had more drugs than you've had hot dinners. Delivering everything in a deep, slow voice reminiscient of Neil from The Young Ones and spouting frequent quasi-philosohpical theories ("Hair are your natural aerials - they transmit signals from the cosmos directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight.") in between his many escapades such as making "Camberwell carrots" and "dolls that sh*t themselves".

6. The rest of the cast.

You want working on!

I covered the four best characters as individual reasons, but I feel like I'm doing a disservice to the rest of the cast. Even the smallest of characters are capable of burning their way into a person's mind as one of the great things about the film. From Jake the poacher to Presuming Ed, all the way through to the po-faced police officer that screams at Withnail to get in the back of the van, there's always someone interesting just around the corner in England, apparently...

7. The dialogue.

Like most cult classics worth their salt, Withnail & I features its own very unique syntax. Virtually every line is golden, delivered with considerable aplomb by the actors. Even if it's not particularly laugh-out-loud hilarious (which it frequently is), Robinson's writing still has a degree of poetry to it. It feels a lot like the kind of strange, overly dramatic sort of speech that you never hear anywhere else but in fiction, but it never feels over-the-top. It may sound pretty odd a lot of the time and hard to take seriously, but in the film it works so well.

8. The sight gags.

Withnail & I's humour isn't purely derived from its characters and their stage-like interactions with one another. The film has its fair share of physical humour. Whether it's the titular duo attempting to kill a chicken for dinner or going fishing with a shotgun, there's all kinds of crazy yet realistic stunts going on in the film. However, the best one occurs in the early moments of the film, where Withnail gets especially desperate for a drink...

9. The soundtrack.

I already mentioned the use of King Curtis during the film's opening sequence, but the rest of the soundtrack is quite good. The pair's trip into the countryside is bookended by Jimi Hendrix (now, when I hear "Voodoo Child" I instantly think of Withnail drunkenly "making time" on a busy highway), and also accompanied by a variety of tunes both old and not quite as old. I'm missing out on the most important part of the soundtrack - the original score by David Dundas and Rick Wentworth. The main theme once again contributes to the film's very bittersweet mood, sending shivers down my spine despite the vaguely "circus" feeling I get from it. However, the piano and guitar iterations are brilliantly haunting - especially at...

10. The ending.

I'm not going to say anything about, I'm just going to post the video. As with virtually everything there is to enjoy about the film, it lacks a lot of its power when taken out of context, but after seeing the first hundred minutes of the film go by only to end it like this is just tragically beautiful. The most shattering moment, to quote a different scene from the film.

You want to post like me?
I'm going to deviate a bit and choose a film that isn't in my top ten list.

Snatch.
10 - The guy from Trainspotting has a very small, yet hilarious role in it.
9 - The British-black-dudes-trio has some great dialogue.
8 - The mentioning of a rabbit getting proper f*cked by 'Zhe Germanz'.
7 - The nicknames and Avi questioning them.
"Why is he called the bullet dodger?".
"Because he dodges bullets Avi".
6 - The 'your gun has replica written on it and my gun has Desert Eagle .50 written on it - now, f*ck off!' speach.
5 - The Borris The Blade character.
4 - The Brick Top character and his speach on how to get rid of a body.
3 - Jason Statham doing some decent acting (which, frankly, is rare).
2 - The Pikey gang as a whole.
"It's not fa me, it's fa me mah".
"Your what?".
" 'Is mah!".
1 - Brad Pitt as a Pikey! One of the most hilarious accents/characters to ever appear in a movie.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Raiders of the Lost Ark

(Steven Spielberg - 1981)

• The Fedora - Coolest hat in the history of cinema. It's such a perfect fit that it never slides off of Indy's head or even obstructs his vision. And the hat accentuates the whip and pistol with a certain poetic balance that I can't even begin to explain.
  • "Throw me the idol and i'll throw you the whip" - My favorite line in the entire movie. It will forever attatch itself to poor Alfred Molina's career no matter what he does.
  • Nazis - The ultimate supervillains. The scum of the universe. Who else could be so evil and yet so cunning? They are the ultimate adversaries to face off against Indiana.
  • Karen Allen - She was perfect for this movie. And she had great chemistry with Harrison Ford. Ms. Allen is easily the best "Jones Girl" of all time.
  • R.I.P Denholm Elliot - He was an extremely talented actor, but also extremely underrated. His performances in the first and third entries of this series were fantastic.
  • Steve Spielberg - This guy certainly has a knack for creating classic movies, and this one was no exception. Definitely my favorite effort by a man who many consider to be the best director of our era.
  • The Ark - The Ark of the Covenant is shrouded by so much power and so much mystery. It is perhaps the most alluring biblical artifact the world has ever known.
  • The Boulder - The boulder sequence in the opening of the film is one of the most recognizable movie scenes ever. It set the perfect tone for the movie right at the beginning.
  • Harrison Ford - This is the movie that made him great. If not for Raiders, we might now be saying: "Harrison Who?". But we're not, because Mr. Ford portrayed Indy with such precision, that he is now considered a cinematic god.
  • Indiana Jones - The single greatest character of all time. Dr. Jones is an intrepid, suave, and utterly courageous hero. He is a timeless character who will never fail to amuse and amaze children and adults alike for ages to come.

If I could +rep more than once I would

The hard to find, low budget film by Director PF Becker

Made In Taiwan

-Interesting story line
-Interesting characters
-Beautiful soundtrack
-Gives a realistic account of life as a foreigner in Taiwan, but with enough drama and fantasy to keep it interesting.
-It's exotic
-The story is told in an interesting way, through the eyes of a would be filmmaker.
-I like the look of the film, very stylistic.
-It's interesting that there are two different feelings. There's the documentary feeling that shows this would be filmmaker filming the characters and there's the more cinematic feeling.
-The resolution comes along in a wonderfully subtle way.
-The scenery is beautiful.

TITANIC

- Leo DiCaprio - Need I say more
- Leo's & Kate Winslet's First Movie Together
- Rose & Jack = Best Movie Couple EVER!
- Very Romantic
- Amazing Story Line
- Memorable Scenes
- Memorable Quotes
- Lovely Soundtrack
- It's Epic
- Based on a Real Event