Movie Question For The Ladies

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Almost EVERY movie has sex. What about being a character (or just a single role) actor who is a horrible person in a movie? Isn't that exploitative? Every movie has conflict. There are bad guys in every single one.

Just my judgement call, but I don't think being topless is as .... "bad"... as the lower half.

Just a guess, but I'm guessing now there's some sort of check-list, or CV that asks what you're willing to do, and for those who are willing to show it all, play any role, do anything, will have a higher probability (not factoring in acting chops) of getting the job. Personally, I just want the most talented to get the job so there's a higher probability the movie is as the best as it can be.

I'm just going to assume everything I wrote in response to Yarn was horribly articulated. It must have been, because I don't even know what he was responding to.

Yarn 1
crumbsroom 0

Go take your victory lap. Who cares. I hope your pants fall around your ankles.

Victim of The Night
Getting back on topic, I remembered a film from 2000 called The Contender that would fit. It’s seriously a good political drama that focuses on a Female Senator picked as the next Vice President and has to deal with the hypocrisy and double standards that face women in not just politics, but at large, when rumors of her college sex life surfaces and she’s forced to defend herself.

Are they true? Are they false? The better question, asked by the film, is…does it matter?
I really dug that film. But I was always a Joan Allen fan.

Better Living Through Movie Quotes
I am tired of seeing young people exploited.

I think it would be useful to define this term, 'exploited'. What are the criterion for being exploited? Is it possible to exploit a person that doesn't mind doing what they are asked to do? I doubt there is a single actor out there who enjoys acting a scene while standing under a rain machine. Are they beng exploited or, is it dedication to their craft and belief in the project? Are we deeming something exploitation when we project onto others what we, ourselves' would feel exploited doing?

We seem to be teasing-out sexual imagery out of a whole mess of even more morally questionable imagery. Is it exploitation when an actor is asked to act out a murder on another actor? What about images and narratives dealing with gangland subject matter, violence, war, emotional abuse, greed, torture... pick your sociopathic poison. Why is it not exploitation to ask actors to portray these activities on screen?

A lot of sexual exploration by the innocent results in public shaming. The innocence can be exploited, but is that a worse crime than the shaming? Where is the point of origin of the damage, the exploitation or the shaming? I don't think the answer is as clear as it might appear.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I am disappointed ☹️
me too, buddy. me too.
oh. you meant my reply. thought we were talking life. i joke to hide the tragic truth of it all!

NAKED PEOPLE RUNNING AMUCK!!!!

side note: I just learned you can italicize these emojis!!! emojies? hm.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Better Living Through Movie Quotes
Almost EVERY movie has sex. .

It is an enormous part of the human experience and a tremendous determinant of human (and animal) behavior. There are not that many exceptions as even pre-pubescent children are known to explore their sexual identity (until adults freak out and shame them).

Humanistic artistic endeavors are bound to touch on the subject. Whether the artistic voice that expresses this part of the human experience is pleasing or not is a matter of individual taste, just like other elements of art.

What is obvious is that when people see the subject of human sexuality dealt with in a work of art, and they don't like it there seems to be a harsh reaction and the tendency to want to censor the work. With a lot of art, when we don't like it, we just shrug it off and say, "not my cup-o' Tea." But if we see sex represented in art in a manner that we don't like a lot of people go absolutely Ape. They right letters, they report it to authorities, they become politically active. It is fascinating.

Duplicate Account (locked)
I could do without seeing the private parts of any actors in serious movies unless it serves an artistic purpose above base sensuality. It's debasing and tends to reduce the actor to the level of a prostitute. If we're going to go there, let's please have a good reason. For base sensuality there is an entire genre dedicated to it which does it better than R-rated fare.

Being reduced never sounded hotter

I think it would be useful to define this term, 'exploited'.
Unfairly used for another person's advantage.

I take it to be unfair that it is a default (de facto) expectation that actors are expected to show their sexual organs and engage in graphic simulated sex acts as a condition of employment. I take it that this expectation is especially heavy for anyone who is physically attractive and/or who desires leading roles.

What are the criterion for being exploited?
"Criterion" is singular. "Criteria" is plural. We should ask, "What are the criteria?"

One rule of thumb is that if "X" were a de facto condition of for Starbucks, and if we would object to this condition, if there would be lawsuits, if it would be sexual harassment, etc., then it just might be exploitative to expect people to do it as a work condition.

Here's another rule of thumb - if you are humiliated to have Seth Rogan does a musical skit about what you are required to do to get work as an artist ("We saw your boobs!"), you're being exploited.
Is it possible to exploit a person that doesn't mind doing what they are asked to do?
There are people who don't mind working for employers who break federal law, but this does not meant that these people are not being exploited. There are kids who probably liked working coal mines. It was still wrong. With about 8 billion people on the planet, there are some who would not mind having a limb cut off for the gratification of another person.

Also, we have to consider the downstream effects of such voluntarism. There are countless actors and actresses who profited from taking a turn on the casting couch. This was happening for decades. It didn't start with Rose McGowan and Harvey Weinstein. A lot assistants kept their mouths shut too. It created a quiet cultural expectation that if you really want a role it is not unheard of to be requested of you that you voluntarily trade sex to get your role. Even if actress "A" didn't mind blowing a director, even if Johnnie the twelve-year-old didn't mind working in the coalmine, they were part of a system that put undo pressure on other people to do likewise. Exploitation is not just interpersonal but systemic. So no, "Margaret, doesn't mind doing it, what's you're problem?" does not quite cut it.
I doubt there is a single actor out there who enjoys acting a scene while standing under a rain machine.
This is uncomfortable, but not fundamentally demeaning to their humanity and does not risk their health. If, on the other hand, that rain machine is dangerous, then the actor is possibly being exploited.
Are they beng exploited or, is it dedication to their craft and belief in the project? Are we deeming something exploitation when we project onto others what we, ourselves' would feel exploited doing?
Again, if you wouldn't ask someone to do it for an office party, you probably should not ask someone to do it as a condition of employment.

The message we take from #MeToo is NOT that men should have to show erect penises on screen, but rather that no one should, as an industry norm, be expected to show their sexual organs and engage in graphic simulated sex acts as a condition of employment.
We seem to be teasing-out sexual imagery out of a whole mess of even more morally questionable imagery. Is it exploitation when an actor is asked to act out a murder on another actor?
It is not whether that which is depicted is morally questionable, but to what extent one actually has to perform the act in order to depict it. You don't actual have to die to be murdered on screen. However, actors are directed to actually show parts, to actually rub parts together in graphic simulation.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
So uh, which of those movies make great social commentary for women? I'm losing track.

Speaking as member of the female sex. I have been enjoying this thread. Even if it has gone off the rails.
That’s putting it mildly. Is this still Movie Question for the Ladies?

So uh, which of those movies make great social commentary for women? I'm losing track.

I'm also losing track, but would rather have some conversation than nothing... I'm wondering if I mentioned "Rachel, Rachel" (since I've mentioned it a lot on other threads)..

For the women who have seen this movie, what did you think of it?

I'm also losing track, but would rather have some conversation than nothing... I'm wondering if I mentioned "Rachel, Rachel" (since I've mentioned it a lot on other threads)..

For the women who have seen this movie, what did you think of it?
Never seen it, but it is now in my Netflix Q.

Never seen it, but it is now in my Netflix Q.

I'm surprised - you have good taste, and got me to watch at least two great movies.

If you remember, please tag me when you review it. I haven't spent much time because I've barely seen any movies in the last the 2-3 years.

I'm surprised - you have good taste, and got me to watch at least two great movies.

If you remember, please tag me when you review it. I haven't spent much time because I've barely seen any movies in the last the 2-3 years.
It’s really a matter of time. I’ve got my own huge dvd collection, I have a long list of Netflix stuff to watch together with HBO Max, Hulu, etc.