ueno_station54 vs. 100 Greatest Sci-Fi Classics

→ in
Tools    

A 'C' for War Of The Robots is probably higher than I expected, be interesting to see what, if anything, makes it into 'D', 'F' or 'SF'. Sadly I've not run across either The Astral Factor or Snowbeast yet.

A 'C' for War Of The Robots is probably higher than I expected, be interesting to see what, if anything, makes it into 'D', 'F' or 'SF'. Sadly I've not run across either The Astral Factor or Snowbeast yet.
War of the Robots had A tier potential and just dropped the ball at the finish line lmao. Oh what could have been.

Film #3
Snowbeast

Jaws at a ski resort. Unfortunately they took the cowards route and made the monster a yeti instead of a land shark.

What surprised me the most about Snowbeast was how much of a "real" movie it is (even more surprising since it was made for TV). Like its certainly made on the cheap and it shows but like, it has real actors and the characters have actual arcs and things going on outside of the current situation and its shot pretty professionally for the most part, especially the skiing scenes which honestly look pretty great. The POV shots maybe get a bit tired after awhile but it still never looks bad.

When Captain Terror said it was "more snow than beast", they weren't lying but it skewed my expectations. I was then expecting long, drawn out dialogue scenes to pad the runtime but the film is actually quite focused and although you really do almost never see the beast it always feels present. I wouldn't say its paced badly as it doesn't waste any time getting to the premise and it never really takes any lengthy detours from it but the film does still feel a hair too long and putting a bit of money into at least one of the kills would have been appreciated instead of the freeze frame-fade to red they did every time (though I did actually quite enjoy the beasts attack on the rec centre). It's consistently fine throughout but its just kind of dry and needed some bigger moments sprinkled in.

Bit of a step down but this has still been a painless experience so far. Let's see if that holds up after our next film "First Spaceship on Venus" from 1960 featuring Yoko Tani.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snowbeastposter.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	83511   Click image for larger version

Name:	tierlistfilmadded.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	83512  

For a long time my brain merged Snowbeast with The Capture of Bigfoot. I think I taped them both around the same time and they have a similar aesthetic. So I'd always have to pause and remind myself which one was the "good one". (It was Snowbeast)
If Capture of Bigfoot taught us anything, it's that sometimes not showing the monster is a better idea.

I can recommend Capture of Bigfoot, however, if you're in the mood for a cheez fest.

Film #4
First Spaceship on Venus

A spacecraft crashes on earth with an alien message of unknown intent on board. I forget how but its determined to have come from Venus and a crew is put together for an expedition to the planet.

So this is originally a Polish film that was cut down (13 minutes) and dubbed into English and the way it was cut down is just insane. Instead of just taking out whole scenes (they may have also done that idk) they'd cut a second or two out of the middle of a shot, usually during a pan or trucking shot to instantly go from point A to point B. Its a shame because the camera work is quite nice when I interpolate the missing footage in my brain. Its also a shame because the movie kinda rules, especially once they get to the titular planet.

So many cool design choices. The poster doesn't lie about the spaceship, look at that beauty! There's a cute little robot assistant that's just a box with treads with a dome on top that has buttons and lights that make it look like a face. Classic robo-friend design I'm obsessed . On Venus they find these tiny little spider robots that bounce like 4 feet in the air at all times and apparently they're just audio recorders lmao. I don't know why but it rules. They eventually find ruins of the Venutian civilization and the buildings all look like those sculptures in Beetlejuice. Later they get attacked my sentient ooze and it throws a rock at them! Just so many rad ideas.

On top of the design elements the film also has all your favourite basic filmmaking tricks that you just love to see. Crossfades, reverse footage, miniatures, all the good **** and its all used pretty effectively, epsecially the crossfades which they use to add a ton of additional atmosphere to the, well, atmosphere and really sells the set as being alien. The characters are nothing to write home about but the film gets surprisingly dark at the end and I did find myself caring a bit for the characters in peril.

Honestly, I could see the original Polish version of the film being an easy A tier and maybe I'm overlooking some issues in the film because it has that excuse but I definitely can't look past the weird editing choices present in this cut.

I'm kind of in shock with how much I enjoyed that film and I'm looking for that original cut ASAP. Next film is "Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet" from 1965 featuring Basil Rathbone.
Attachments

Name:	firstspaceship.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	83541   Click image for larger version

Views:	223
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	83542  

I'd agree that First Spaceship On Venus is surprisingly enjoyable.
Never got round to Voyage To The Prehistoric Planet myself but maybe Voyage To The Planet Of Prehistoric Women will be in the set somewhere?

Never got round to Voyage To The Prehistoric Planet myself but maybe Voyage To The Planet Of Prehistoric Women will be in the set somewhere?
Shh! Don't spoil it!

+for Mamie Van Doren in a sea shell bikini.

I forgot the opening line.
I was going to do something like this with one of those sci-fi box sets! You beat me to it. I'm hoping we at least see Robot Monster in there somewhere. The one I have has Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet on it too.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Film #5
Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet

Two in a row now about the first manned exploration of Venus and its proving to be a good setting because this is maybe on the same level as First Spaceship on Venus. Though very different in terms of tone (First Spaceship being quite dark and sombre and Voyage being very hopeful) both are shockingly classy despite themselves. Reminds me that at this time there was kind of bare minimum level of quality just based on how much more difficult it was to make a film and that people kind of needed to know what they were doing to some extent at least (can't wait for this boxset to prove me wrong down the line).

Anyway, to actually talk specifically about this film, that classiness I mentioned kicks in immediately as the opening credits roll over these beautiful paintings of alien plant-life with this really wonderful bit of brass-based score over it. It's so lovely. After that the film does take a minute to get going I will say. We get some pretty dry exposition that I admittedly kind of tuned out but at least we're starting already in orbit of Venus and we're not spending a ton of the runtime just getting there. I think the basic idea is that they picked up signs of potential "human" life on the planet on their radar and are going to check it out. The first team goes in off camera, runs into trouble, then we follow the backup crew as they try to both complete the mission and find the other crew.

After this point the film is just solidly entertaining and borderline impressive throughout. Apparently everyone's vision of what Venus is like is just really cool because that's the case with both this and First Spaceship. In this film they mix sets and real locations in a way that makes the planet feel a bit more alive and they cover a lot of different terrain that still always feels like the same planet. They go through rocky caverns, marshlands, underwater for a bit, and it all looks pretty good. On top of that the transfer for the most part looks nice. The colour is quite washed out but that might honestly be a boon as I think it actually added to the atmosphere a bit lol.

So I guess I should mention the actual sci-fi elements (and the prehistoric ones). Yeah there's just gd dinosaurs on Venus, don't worry about it. Guy even takes a picture with a brontosaurus. Cute scene. There's even a Kirk vs. Gorn type moment where the crew fight off a couple lizardmen but the smokey atmosphere of the swamp they're in actually makes it kind of cool despite exclusively looking like dudes in rubber suits stumbling about. For the sci-fi goodness the crew have a hover-car that's really dope, they get into a fight with a pterodactyl in it, it kind of rules. The other crew have this big, hulking robot walking around with them and its just unreasonably caked up for some reason. Just the fattest-assed robot ever built lmao.

The story at this point isn't super relevant, they're just exploring the planet the whole movie and I honestly love that. The crews meet up, they find some sculptures of human form and peace out, seemingly content with the discovery. After this there is a reveal of the human life on Venus and I'll just say its revealed exactly how you'd do it in like a real, artistically valid film. Honestly a really wonderful scene.

The only downside really is that you could really cut out a few characters' scenes entirely and the film would probably better. There's a woman in a ship in orbit of Venus that just communicates between the crews on Venus and people on a moon base and really her and the moon base could just go away and the film would work perfectly fine.

Yeah, overall pretty much exactly what I want in a movie. Sparse story, some decent atmosphere and vibes, a good amount of fun moments. Doesn't quite have what it takes to crack A tier but this will be a high bar for this project no doubt.

Next up is Fugitive Alien from 1986 featuring Tatsuya Azuma. Hoping for a bit of dumbass 80's action here.
Attachments

Name:	voyage.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	84287   Click image for larger version

Views:	152
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	84288  

bringing this back after a bit of a sudden hiatus

Film #6
Fugitive Alien

Earth is being attacked by an alien army. We follow Ken, one of the alien soldiers who has gone rogue after accidentally killing one of his own, and the crew of humans who saved him from certain peril. After that I kind of lost the plot but there's a valid reason for that.

So this is an interesting film to have to watch for this little project because its actually not a standalone film. This is actually part one of a compilation film, condensing the events of a 70's tv series into two feature length films. If you ever had an anime phase I'm sure you're familiar with the concept. Obviously, only watching this first part is an issue on its own but the way its been condensed (and I'm speculating here having not seen the original series) is not doing it any favours as I suspect its cutting out fun scenes because they weren't strictly pushing the plot forward.

To talk about what's actually on screen, this is an unfortunate tale as the Japanese pop 70's aesthetic it has is something I f**k with heavy. That early Kamen Rider vibe, love it. The opening scene had my expectations set high. Spaceships doing barrel rolls and flying into skyscrapers, laser battles, explosions, the exact lighting you're thinking of if you're familiar with the aforementioned aesthetic as well as music, just excellent stuff and it coasts on that for awhile as we get the expected exposition and character introductions and yada-yada but it really loses steam after these first couple scenes. Action at the beginning and at the end with nothing in the middle. This problem is expounded by the fact that the finale of this film was not meant to be a finale. Like it still has some fun bits here and there but this really feels like some act 2 shit, because it is some act 2 shit. Also, I had no idea why this scene was happening lmao. I think it was probably a whole episode of the show (which I assume was at least somewhat episodic in nature) dropped into what was previously streamlining the overarching plot. Just suddenly this other thing is happening and it barely feels like the same film. At least they dropped us a "to be continued" so we know what's up lol.

A real heart-breaker this one.

Next up (and hopefully sooner this time) is Killers from Space from 1954 featuring Peter Graves. Finally some 50's shit let's go!
Attachments

Name:	fugitive alien.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	86833   Click image for larger version

Views:	108
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	86834  

One poster alone can not fight an entire genre, unless it's Corax. Just saying.

Film #7
Killers from Space

Oh its this f**kin movie. The one with the aliens that are just dudes with giant eyeballs and eyebrows and oven mitts. I've seen images of this film for years but didn't know this was that until they showed up. A kind of famous one here and its fame is not deserved lmao.

Anyway, a plane crashes under mysterious circumstances during testing of an atomic bomb. One of the pilots miraculously survives and is in perfect condition other than a loss of memory of the event and a surgical scar that wasn't there before. Before long the man begins acting erratic and a plot starts i guess.

In all honesty this starts strong enough, detailing the steps of dropping an atomic bomb. This scene is like actually kind of interesting and a bit ominous. The plot then has to start which, on paper, isn't terrible either. It starts out with enough intrigue I suppose and it doesn't take too long to get going. Our main dude is doing some shifty things and we wonder why he is doing these things. Nothing crazy but its like, fine. Its doing the job. He's eventually captured, given a truth serum and he spills the beans that he's been mesmerized by aliens and commanded to do whatever he was doing in the first part of the film. The ensuing flashback to when he was abducted by the aliens is somehow the most boring part of the film? Like yes we all know the aliens look dumb as hell but omg this sequence is so long and so dry. Our guy gets trapped in a cave with giant bugs and lizards in this scene and its still terrible!! After this we never see the aliens again. The rest of the film is just the guy trying to cut the power to the area which will make the alien base explode for some reason. It is very not exciting.

Does this have cred as a "so bad its good" type thing? It really shouldn't if so. Having dumb looking aliens for one scene should not be enough for anyone to know what this film is. The best I can say about it is that despite being boring it wasn't that boring I guess.

We're sticking with 50's trash as our next film is The Incredible Petrified World from 1957 featuring John Carradine.
Attachments

Name:	Killers_from_space.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	86845   Click image for larger version

Views:	94
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	86846  

This is actually part one of a compilation film, condensing the events of a 70's tv series into two feature length films. If you ever had an anime phase I'm sure you're familiar with the concept. Obviously, only watching this first part is an issue on its own but the way its been condensed (and I'm speculating here having not seen the original series) is not doing it any favours as I suspect its cutting out fun scenes because they weren't strictly pushing the plot forward.
Does the set include the second film at least? I mean, it probably wouldn't be any more coherent but it would at least give you some closure.

I've seen Time of the Apes, which is a similar beast. I don't know the name of the original series from which it's been edited but yeah, it's the same sort of thing. Our heroes will spend about 20 minutes dealing with some problem and then you gradually realize that we're no longer concerned with that problem. We've moved on to another problem, which will coincidentally also last about 20 minutes. The day I learned that it was a compilation of TV episodes was a big light bulb moment for me.

(When I say I've "seen" Time of the Apes, what I mean is that I rented it from the same store so often that I eventually just offered to buy the tape from them. The fact that they just gave it to me at no charge suggests that I was the only person renting this thing, which I did like twice a year. Good times. I've converted that tape to DVD since then.)

Does the set include the second film at least? I mean, it probably wouldn't be any more coherent but it would at least give you some closure.
it does not. i'll never know if Ken defeats the Wolf Raiders </3