what is the longest movie you have ever had to sit through?

Tools    

Longest in a theatre was Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Penance, which clocked in at 4.5 hours. But it was a miniseries (they played the episodes back to back), so it might not count.

Longest film was Carlos, which I count as a film since it was made that way (Olivier Assayas pretty much says it's a film, doesn't count it as a miniseries). Other than that, maybe Mysteries of Lisbon.

Out 1, which is 12 hours and 53 minutes, saw it in one sitting at a theater. Didn't much care for the first 4-5 hours, hated much of the first 2 actually, but I'm glad I stuck around because then it got rather incredible and is so strong in its last 7 hours or so that I think it's a great movie overall.

http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151350

Also, what's up with this? From that thread, posted in 2014:

Originally Posted by silentasylum
was it a good or bad experience? Mine would have to be The Last Emperor. I enjoyed it, but there's no way that cricket could have lived that long is there?
Are you that same person or did you plagiarize a post from another movie forum?

If you count The Decalogue as one movie, then that's it for me. It's 9 hours and 32 minutes long. But since it's really a miniseries that just happened to receive theatrical showings in several countries (including the U.S.), then I think the longest movie not intended as a miniseries that I've seen is probably Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, which is 4 hours and 2 minutes long. The full-length version of Fanny and Alexander is longer than that at 5 hours and 12 minutes, but again, that was originally a TV miniseries. So I think it's Hamlet.

To the OP, did you watch the theatrical cut of The Last Emperor or the TV version? Because if you watched the theatrical cut, the TV version is just about an hour longer. Also, if you watched the theatrical cut and that's the longest movie you've ever seen, that means you've never seen The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, Seven Samurai, or any other movies that are longer than 160 minutes, in which case I should offer you some must-see recommendations, including the three I just mentioned.

I think Lord of the rings... T_T but i sleep half way of the movie though and my friends are laughing at me...

I love that movie, I actually want to watch the director's cut.
Sorry, Citizen, but we have to agree to disagree on this one...that movie seemed like it was seven hours long and bored me to death.

In one sitting, Gone With The Wind and Lawrence of Arabia which are about four hours each.
For some reason, I don't really feel the four hours with Gone with the Wind I get so swept up in the story. It's one of the few classics I got to see in an actual theater...I was about 12 years old and there were about 20 people in the theater and I will never forget this as long as live, but the second that Clark Gable appeared onscreen, there was an audible gasp from every female in the theater. I have never seen Lawrence of Arabia.

I don't feel the length of Gone With The Wind either it is one of my favourite movies. Would love to see it in the cinema. Surprised you haven't seen Lawrence it is in my top ten and Peter O'Toole's performance is my favourite male performance. Vivien Leigh in Gone with The Wind is actually my favourite female performance. You should try to get around to Lawrence of Arabia if you get the chance.

I have to return some videotapes...
I think it was Schindler's List.

Japanese director Sion Sono's "Love Exposure", I think it's like 4 1/2 or 5 hours or so, but it's very good I loved it.
Persona is also good but its definitely not for everyone, I have seen it multiple times.

It took me weeks to finish The Fellowship of the Ring and right now its taking even longer for me to finish The Two Towers

I think the longest was extended LOTR and Return of King which was about 4h10min. Another one was Gone With The Wind which was 4 hours.
LOTR kind of went quick cause it's part of a trilogy and plus it's quite entertaining.
GWTW was amazing, longer story provides more character development and a more vivd story and if you do get into it, it will blow you away. I always wanted to watch or read War and Peace for that reason as well.

The hateful eight.... to be honesr i couldnt continue it...just couldn t...

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I don't feel the length of Gone With The Wind either it is one of my favourite movies. Would love to see it in the cinema.
I saw it in the theater when they re-released it for one of the anniversaries. I want to say it was the 55th anniversary (maybe close to 60th). If you ever do get the opportunity to see it on a big screen, you have to take advantage of it because when I saw it that way, I knew it was one that was truly made to be experienced on a big movie screen. It was fantastic.

I think the longest movie I ever sat through in a theater was Kenneth Branagh's "Hamlet". But they had an intermission which helped. I created my own double feature that day by seeing that along with the Special Edition of "Return of the Jedi". So with those two movies together, I was at the theater for about 7 1/2 hours straight. And I didn't mind it.

Not my complete list but these were long movies.

Cleopatra (1963) 248 minutes

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) 227 minutes

Gone with the Wind (1939) 221 minutes

The Ten Commandments (1956) 220 minutes

For me, it has to be the 1968 Russian epic of WAR AND PEACE directed by Sergei Bondarchuk. It was the American release version which ran more than six hours. The theater I saw it in ran the first part on a Sunday afternoon then took an hour and a half intermission for a dinner break and ran the rest in the evening. That's as close to seeing it in one sitting as I ever got