Still worth buying a Blu-Ray player?

Tools    

You can really find them on the cheap nowadays. I've never gotten around to picking one up but have been mulling it over recently. Is this a format that's going to last? Or will 4K Blu-Rays or whatever eventually be the standard?

buy a PS4 !? nothing better than that

I'm considering getting an OPPO.

I don't see why not. If you buy one now, by the time they stop making standard blu-rays it'll probably be time to replace it anyway.
They won't stop. Besides, millions of people are starting to adapt to Blu-ray now and I seriously doubt anyone will want to replace their movie collection....again.

Yeah but when DVD came along, millions had to replace their vhs tapes. I imagine that whatever format comes next, the player for them will still be able to play standard blurays just like bluray players can play dvds, but eventually they'll stop making regular bluray s.

Yeah but when DVD came along, millions had to replace their vhs tapes. I imagine that whatever format comes next, the player for them will still be able to play standard blurays just like bluray players can play dvds, but eventually they'll stop making regular bluray s.
DVDs and VHS are much different in quality and their two different players. Plus VHS rarely exists unless you own a player and cassettes. But that's a different story.

As for Blu-Rays, with this 4K whatever they call it, about less than 1% of the population even have it. So far. Plus By the time non 4K discs even so called take over standard discs, that won't be for many years...if that even does happen.

The older generation, probably won't be interested in this new kind of format supposedly to be 'better and outstanding' because how long can one keep purchasing and updating their collection? It gets carried away. It's mostly for the younger generation who can't tell the difference between crystal clear sound and picture, and a dab of extra pixels to make it look more clear.

How much more HD or clear does a person need a picture to be? You might as well just stop watching a movie or TV and interact with a human.

I just think there is no need for a purchaser of Blu ray today, to even consider or think about the 'next' phase of technology for movie watching when something won't effect it in any major way for many years to come. The least.

If you buy a blu ray make sure it plays DVDs too. And buy an HDMI cable. I got into blu rays late in the game, but they are worth it.
Good point. I just though play my discs (DVD and Blu-ray) on my X-Box One. Though own a BR player as well. Although 99.9 % blu ray players do play DVDs...as well as Mp3, DVDr. CDr, and etc.

It sounds like we're on the same page, JRS. I know it's going to take time before whatever new format takes over actually happens. That's why I said the OP may as well get a bluray player now. Electronics, in my experience, don't tend to keep working for more than a few years. In all likelihood, a new bluray player purchased now will stop working before blurays become obsolete so if the OP is interested in bluray, I see no reason not to give it a go.

Also GS, are there blu-ray players that don't play DVDs? My Samsung one that was only like $40 plays both formats, provided they're the correct region.

It sounds like we're on the same page, JRS. I know it's going to take time before whatever new format takes over actually happens. That's why I said the OP may as well get a bluray player now. Electronics, in my experience, don't tend to keep working for more than a few years. In all likelihood, a new bluray player purchased now will stop working before blurays become obsolete so if the OP is interested in bluray, I see no reason not to give it a go.

Also GS, are there blu-ray players that don't play DVDs? My Samsung one that was only like $40 plays both formats, provided they're the correct region.
No clue, but better safe then sorry.

Electronics, in my experience, don't tend to keep working for more than a few years. In all likelihood, a new bluray player purchased now will stop working before blurays become obsolete...
I have a laserdisc player that works like I just bought it yesterday, and my VHS player plays my tapes just fine. I had my VHS player for over 15 years. The laserdisc player was a gift to me that I had since 1994. And my uncle had it since 1982

Just need to take care of things
Um, okay.

It's not like I'm using them in place of a ball while playing soccer or practicing my frisby technique with them. They are turned off when not in use, occasionally play movies and I dust them every once in awhile.

If u have fast internet speed downloading movies to ur hdd is a better way than buying bluray disks, its the digital world now so lets follow it. Keep ur collection digital.

Um, okay.

It's not like I'm using them in place of a ball while playing soccer or practicing my frisby technique with them. They are turned off when not in use, occasionally play movies and I dust them every once in awhile.
I think you know what I mean. Of course you don't toss around your things, just giving you advice.

It's the digital world now. Keep your collection digital.
A lot of people are beginning to do so. Especially with Ultraviolet and also with their own clouds. Plus not everyone can go out and buy things so digital is the their way to go.