Wooley's Halfway To Halloween III

Tools    

Nice, some great stuff on there and a few I've been meaning to see and never gotten around to. I'll see what's on my streaming services from there.
Thanks!
I don't know if it's streaming anywhere, but Macario is fairly obscure and can be watched for free on youtube. I highly recommend it, in particular.

Just Before Dawn:

I liked this one.

Four Color Fear:
I own that one too.

I posted this in crumbsroom's thread sometime back, but in case you're looking for recommendations, here's a good list, provided there's some films in here you haven't watched yet:

https://www.listchallenges.com/old-s...fantasy-movies

I've seen 106, which I find embarrassing considering the number of classics on it I've missed (a bunch of the Disney, so many classic fantasy and sci fi monsters movies).

Victim of The Night
Lol I have been a member of the forum for many years.
Oh, I know, I recognize you, I meant how long you last here in this thread!
Cuz this ain't October so I ain't offering much better than low-budget, often 50s, 70s, and 80s fare.
But I hope you'll stick around anyway.

I've seen 106, which I find embarrassing considering the number of classics on it I've missed (a bunch of the Disney, so many classic fantasy and sci fi monsters movies).
I've only seen 65 of them, so you got me beat.

Oh, I know, I recognize you, I meant how long you last here in this thread!
It's ok. I'm sure I will be fine.

Ciao

Victim of The Night
I've seen 69% of them, however many that is. I think it was around 100.

I've only seen 65 of them, so you got me beat.

Ya, but I'm 400 years older than you. I've had an eternity to have seen Attack of the 50ft Woman by now. Or Sinbad. Or Fantastic Voyage (oh wait, I think I have seen that one now that I think of it).

Make that 107!

Victim of The Night

I decided that Just Before Dawn was just way too high-brow and high-budget for April, so I took an even deeper dive into... The Strangeness.
Here in The Strangeness, we have a team of characters who are going down an abandoned mine to find gold that a new survey has suggested was missed on previous expeditions. We know this because 5 minutes into the movie, the closest thing to a main character we have, Geoff, literally tells his buddy in the car, “We’re going to join a team of people who are going down an abandoned mine to find gold that a new survey says was missed on previous expeditions”. So that saves us some time. Thank god. We’ll need it later for wandering in circles around a small set made to look like a bunch of different caves by using (slightly) different lighting and angles, built in the director’s grandparents’ garage. I am not making that up.
Anyway, the group consists of Geoff, who we find out later is supposed to be a sort of charming-rascal-but-competent type guy, a very attractive photographer (because you need one of those on a mining expedition), a company-stooge bad-guy, and then some people who are going to die.
Our intrepid explorers enter the mine and keep finding piles of bloody bones as they descend (over the first 45 minutes of the movie)… yet keep descending. Eventually, they run into The Tentacled Vagina Monster:

… which is a stop-motion animated Tentacled Vagina Mine-monster that spits acid and eats people (obviously).
Already you may be asking, “Wooley, why did you watch this?”, especially since I ask that, at least in my head, of many of you and the movies you post.
The answer is because I love pluck. The idea that some people got $25,000 together (the actual budget of this film) and filmed a movie on nights and weekends over the course of 1979, shooting exteriors and early interiors, including the entire opening of the movie, without permits at an actual abandoned mine, and then made a set in their grandparents’ garage and made a film that, honestly, is at least minimally credible for an ultra-low-budget late-70s Alien ripoff… well, kudos to them, ya know? I mean, honestly, on $25,000, you’d be surprised.
And you should read the reviews!

“I was surprised by how the film managed to hold my attention, despite the bland acting on hand and monotonous 'dark-blue-paper-mache-as-cave' settings.”
“It is very very slow and very, very uneventful, but not completely without charm.”
“…there are even two or three scenes that are well-made enough to be worth watching.”
How ya gonna pass on all that?!!!
And, of course, the one that nabbed me:
“Fans of lesser-known cave-creature flicks like The Boogens will probably have a lot of fun. Just don’t expect anything special.”
I love The Boogens.
Anyway, I can't say that this movie charmed my socks off or anything but I can say that I came away from it with a smile on my face that they even freakin' pulled this off at all and I was just kinda happy for them. We've all seen a lot of movies with much larger budgets, even in this genre, just completely and utterly lack competence. And someone these folks put this together with nights and weekends and $25,000 and paper-mache in grandma's garage.
And, as long as you have something to read during the first 45 minutes, that's gotta be worth a slot on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Post-script:
1. This movie is not as good as The Boogens.
2. Obviously "lazy Sunday afternoons" are when most low-budget Horror movies are getting watched in Wooley's world. Wait'll you see the next one.

Here was my 3 1/5 star review of JUST BEFORE DAWN.

https://boxd.it/2AVOyV

I was gonna give you crap for not mentioning Greg Henry when I realized I also didn't mention Greg Henry, so we'll have to be worthless together.

P.S.*

WARNING: spoilers below
it's better than Final Terror. Muahahaha

Gregg Henry looks 400 years old (Crumbsroom aged, if you will) in Just Before Dawn.

I posted this in crumbsroom's thread sometime back, but in case you're looking for recommendations, here's a good list, provided there's some films in here you haven't watched yet:

Is there a "select all" button? I ain't got time for all that clickin'.

Just kidding -- 124 / 83%
I didn't click some that I probably saw when I was a kid. I hereby vow that this is the year that I finally watch Kuroneko / Onibaba.

I've got 103. I'm so disappointed in myself for not having 107.

Victim of The Night
I don't know if it's streaming anywhere, but Macario is fairly obscure and can be watched for free on youtube. I highly recommend it, in particular.
I'll look into it, I am definitely not above watching movies on YouTube.
That's how I first saw Eyes Of Fire. Which I am thinking of making the coup de grace of this thread.

Victim of The Night
Just Before Dawn:

I liked this one.

Four Color Fear:
I own that one too.
Yes, that was a particularly enjoyable aspect of this film.
To be fair,
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
he had had his abdomen slashed open with a machete.

And, sorry, but I'm utterly unsurprised by the latter.

I'm at 82.

Victim of The Night
Here was my 3 1/5 star review of JUST BEFORE DAWN.

https://boxd.it/2AVOyV

I was gonna give you crap for not mentioning Greg Henry when I realized I also didn't mention Greg Henry, so we'll have to be worthless together.

P.S.*

WARNING: spoilers below
it's better than Final Terror. Muahahaha
Loved him in Payback.

And it's funny you should say that, I was actually going to put in my review that "It's no Final Terror, but..."

I've got 103. I'm so disappointed in myself for not having 107.

We now have the metrics. I win. Everything.

And it was actually 108. I forgot to click on Devil Rides Out.

I'm even better than you initially feared.