Raging Bull overrated???

Tools    

I like Raging Bull but that particular assumption made about the movie has always annoyed me. I'm a life long boxing fan and I assure you, the boxing scenes are far from being choreographed to accurately represent the sport. I actually think The Fighter has done the best job thus far of presenting "life like" boxing sequences. Raging Bull's scenes are only slightly better than Rocky in terms of actually looking and feeling like boxing.

Heck the Valentine's day massacre scene has almost next to nothing to do with the actual fight. There's a bit where LaMotta keeps screaming at Ray that "you couldn't put me down!" That never happened. Watch the real fight, you see Jake walk meekly back to his corner, head down, knowing he was thoroughly beaten by the greatest.

Ok rant over
Never said they were accurate. They're just really stylistic, which is exactly what I look for in movies. The sound effects with each punch, the lighting, the blood... if I wanted a realistic boxing match I would just watch a boxing match. Raging Bull maximizes the emotional impact, at least for me, even if it does compromise on the realistic side of things.

But yeah, I'm no boxing expert, but I don't think real boxing matches have that many punches thrown in succession. That's just the style Scorsese was going for.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Never said they were accurate. They're just really stylistic, which is exactly what I look for in movies. The sound effects with each punch, the lighting, the blood... if I wanted a realistic boxing match I would just watch a boxing match. Raging Bull maximizes the emotional impact, at least for me, even if it does compromise on the realistic side of things.

But yeah, I'm no boxing expert, but I don't think real boxing matches have that many punches thrown in succession. That's just the style Scorsese was going for.
Actually, in the real massacre, just as many unanswered punches were thrown (15 I think) but Lamotta never screamed at Ray as he was steered away from Robinson. Anyway, I agree, the fights are quite stylised which kinda works.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Says the guy with the most single overrated film in history in his avatar.
Indeed. While I have Pulp Fiction in my top 100 favorites I am beginning to get annoyed at the excessive praise given to it.

Nah, 'overrated' is just a word. It's depending on your taste whether you like the movie or not. If a highly regarded film doesn't catch up with somebody's expectations, it's often called overrated...
Indeed. I would agree that Ranging Bull is overrated given my impressions the first time I watched it (you might agree given that I think you gave it a
in another thread). Though that was several years ago.

I think it's too easy to throw out the "overrated" label on movies that don't personally speak to us. When a film does capture the imagination of others, of course they're going to want to discuss it more often and in glowing terms of why they connected to it so much. Obviously, not every film will have the same impact in its themes, style, performances ect. for everyone. That's just part of the subjectivity of art.

I personally like Jackie Brown more than Pulp Fiction, although I recognize Pulp is QT's quintessential film. Is it overrated? Looking at it objectively, of course it isn't; It's a brilliantly constructed and executed crime dramedy/neo-noir.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I personally like Jackie Brown more than Pulp Fiction, although I recognize Pulp is QT's quintessential film. Is it overrated? Looking at it objectively, of course it isn't; It's a brilliantly constructed and executed crime dramedy/neo-noir.
Totally agree!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Indeed. I would agree that Ranging Bull is overrated given my impressions the first time I watched it (you might agree given that I think you gave it a
in another thread). Though that was several years ago.
I gave it
to be exact, which is a rating given to nice films.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I really dislike the idea of a film being overrated.

You may give Raging Bull a because of the hype, but say all you had heard was bad things (or nothing at all) and watched the film, you might give it a

Seems kinda stupid. It's the exact same film.

My first attempt, I was drunk, did not at all like the movie. Probably hated it.

2nd attempt - Amazing.

Well you have to say that its about the life of a guy. Well a movie was made and it was good. Now you can expect a person, to come back from the dead, and make his/her life interesting so that people enjoy a good movie out of it.

I agree, I'm a huge fan of Scorsese, but yeah, I do think Raging Bull is overrated, I don't know why Scorsese called this his favorite work

I agree, I'm a huge fan of Scorsese, but yeah, I do think Raging Bull is overrated, I don't know why Scorsese called this his favorite work
supposedly charlie chaplin said his greatest work was the gold rush. idk what is wrong with these artists

I, too, have never gotten all the fuss over RAGING BULL...I think I'm one of the few people on the planet who thinks ORDINARY PEOPLE actually deserved the Oscar for Best Picture of 1980. Most discussion board posters think that award should have gone to RAGING BULL.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I saw Raging Bull yesterday for the first time. It's a good film, but I too don't love it nearly as much as say Taxi Driver or Goodfellas. It's well shot,well acted, and solid all around but i just don't love it. I wouldn't say it's overrated though. Overrated films are ones like Avatar,slumdog millionaire,the avengers,batman begins and titanic.

Over-rated is a vague term. I don't like a film, i may call it over-rated. Only thing i can say is that, when you don't like a film, just say i don't like it.

And to me, Batman Begins is the best of the three from Nolan! Just too good!