The Thing

Tools    

Fighting the curse
Very interesting clips!

While this is a little old, I never noticed that Child's breath couldn't be seen.

reservoir dogs circa 1881
heard every possible avenue for the ending,but i still think what is unknown makes for a scarier ending and obviously a talking point such as this thread.about time they made a new quality metamorph film not seen one in a while not to match the thing anyhow

I'd be quite pumped for the prequel. I found most of those clips interesting and loved the final check mate analogy but had to smirk when his conclusion was MacReady had a hidden flamethrower, bit presumptuous

I'd be quite pumped for the prequel. I found most of those clips interesting and loved the final check mate analogy but had to smirk when his conclusion was MacReady had a hidden flamethrower, bit presumptuous
Yeah I know what you mean, I think he was joking with that remark though. The most interesting theory for me (and the reason I posted it) was Childs's coat change.

Yeah I know what you mean, I think he was joking with that remark though. The most interesting theory for me (and the reason I posted it) was Childs's coat change.
And is quite rightly overlooked, it's one of my favourite films and i never noticed it! I quite like the thought of MacReady as the thing at the end but love the tension the ambiguity of it makes, much more.

just had time to watch used future clips excellent,never noticed childs coat change before dare say it just a continuity error but it adds to the whole mythos of is he isnt he so it plays well to the films theme.A prequel would be nice but i just cant see it coming off.They tried a sequel with the video game but it just didnt hit the right chords for me somehow

I enjoyed the game (never finished it), completely different tone with far more action but converted the premise well considering, a nice continuation.

I see where you're coming from atonements have to be made to cross the medium i didnt hate it i suppose any kind of expansion on the thing universe is a bonus,it just didnt strike me the same way as the film did when i first discovered it if that makes sense?

In the Beginning...
I'm not sure if this is applicable to what we could consider "canon," but there was an X-Box game released several years ago based on the events in The Thing that actually shed some light on what happened.

The player takes control of a search-and-rescue team sent to the area to look for survivors and investigate. The first scenario of the game takes the player to what is left of the base camp from the film (complete with the icebox alien thing, Blair's hidden spacecraft, MacReady's recorded message, etc). Anyway, included in this area is the awning from the end of the film where MacReady and Childs share a bottle of whisky. Only when the player arrives, Childs' frozen body is sitting upright in the same position the film left him, and MacReady is missing.

MacReady does make an appearance, however. During the final boss fight at the end of the game, a helicopter appears and you jump on in order to shoot the big-alien-monster-whatever-thing from above. Your character asks the pilot for his name, and he responds with something like, "R.J. MacReady, helicopter pilot, US Outpost #31." Pretty cool.

I think I even remember reading that John Carpenter lent his voice and likeness to a character in the game.

Also, according to IMDB's trivia page for The Thing...

At a horror convention Q&A session in 2008, Keith David (Childs) was asked if he ever knew who, at the very end of the movie, was infected with the alien. He smiled and said, "Well, I don't know about (Kurt Russell), but it sure as hell wasn't me."

Pyro Tramp -
I'd be quite pumped for the prequel.
Bigal -
A prequel would be nice but i just cant see it coming off.
I think with any follow up to 'The Thing', they'd have to carefully consider the setting. There was a 'Thing' series of comics (pictured below) after the movie, and one of them was set in the jungle of all places. Considering the way the alien operates (i.e. can imitate anything, including tiny insects, possibly even plants), if it ever found it's way into the jungle then mankind would be royally screwed.

I personally think they should leave this one alone, a sequel/prequel would no doubt be filled with horrible CGI effects, plus Carpenter's completely lost his touch anyway. I also prefer the film's ambiguous open ending, though speculation is always fun.

totally agree with you if the thing had been set anywhere else it wouldn't have been as plausable for some reason comparisons with the end of fallen springs to mind

I've seen this movie 1,000 times, and yep, it was obvious that they left you hanging, to decide for yourself. To me, with us watching MacReady destroy everything with the others, and Childs being off by himself, seen running out, supposedly after Blair. That always made me believe that he was no longer himself, but that MacReady was still fine. As he said, anyway, no one was going to be leaving. They would have froze to death. What was left, was knowing the possibility of others showing up later, for the whole thing to start up again.
God forbid someone did that, instead of a damned remake. It's perfect as is, but if I had to choose, I'd take a sequel any day over this remake that's coming out soon.

Quote:
At a horror convention Q&A session in 2008, Keith David (Childs) was asked if he ever knew who, at the very end of the movie, was infected with the alien. He smiled and said, "Well, I don't know about (Kurt Russell), but it sure as hell wasn't me."

Awww, I love Keith David!

hang on,remake?coming out soon?what the hell?ive slept too long arghhhh!I knew it would go too far the film factory has gone insane,i read just the other day they're remaking taxi driver oh the humanity!

hang on,remake?coming out soon?what the hell?ive slept too long arghhhh!I knew it would go too far the film factory has gone insane,i read just the other day they're remaking taxi driver oh the humanity!
Yep, my all-time favorite John Carpenter. First Halloween, then The Thing, and Escape From New York. It makes me sick. If they mess with Big Trouble in Little China, I may die!

Is The Thing REALLY being remade? Last i heard was all that was going was the proposed sequel set in the Norwegian base camp, running right into the original.

Yep, my all-time favorite John Carpenter. First Halloween, then The Thing, and Escape From New York. It makes me sick. If they mess with Big Trouble in Little China, I may die!
if big trouble gets remade you better pick a strong tree cos well be swinging from the same branch, leave jack burton alone!

I can't swear to it, but I've seen talk on it for a long time now, on three boards. The last thing I saw about it, was here on this board in the remake thread. It's funny, though. This was posted . . .

The Thing
"A remake of the 1982 classic, that’s got Battlestar Galactica producer Ronald D Moore attached to it. That said, it’s being described as a companion rather than a remake."

That's funny, because Rob Zombie called his a re-imaging, instead of a remake. Prequel style, with more details of a younger Michael. Yeah, whatever you say, Rob!

Uhhh, because it was.
Except the "re-imagined" prequel bit (ruining much of the character mythos) all he did for the second half was combine ham, his fist and the original movie.

That said, don't mind the film but would much prefer it as a 'Friday the 13th', the brutality of Micheal was more akin to Jason, Meyers is called 'The Shape' for a reason!

Uhhh, maybe because it was.
I'm glad you cleared that up for me. I'll hurry off to buy it.

Except the "re-imagined" prequel bit (ruining much of the character mythos) all he did for the second half was combine ham, his fist and the original movie.