Which film will be #1 on the MoFo Top 100?

Tools    

Which film will be #1 on the MoFo Top 100?
4.17%
2 votes
Apocalypse Now
6.25%
3 votes
Blade Runner
2.08%
1 votes
Casablanca
33.33%
16 votes
The Godfather 1 and/or 2
8.33%
4 votes
Goodfellas
6.25%
3 votes
The Lord of the Rings
20.83%
10 votes
Pulp Fiction
2.08%
1 votes
Raiders of the Lost Ark
16.67%
8 votes
Other (specifyin' would be cool)
48 votes. You may not vote on this poll

WBadger's been performing a cinematic striptease with the Movie Forums Top 100 list, revealing 53 of them in just over a month.

So, which film do you think, knowing the general preferences of the regulars here who submitted lists, will come out on top?

Here's the list so far in reverse order, starting with 47, and going down to 100:
  • Reservoir Dogs (47th)
  • Heat
  • The Third Man
  • Silence of the Lambs (50th)
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  • North by Northwest
  • Singin' in the Rain
  • City of God
  • Aliens
  • It's a Wonderful Life
  • Withnail & I
  • The Searchers
  • The Blues Brothers
  • Fargo (60th)
  • The Shining
  • In the Mood for Love
  • The Wild Bunch
  • All About Eve
  • Naked
  • The Princess Bride
  • Back to the Future
  • Psycho
  • Dark City
  • Superman: The Movie (70th)
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • Dances With Wolves
  • To Kill A Mockingbird
  • Midnight Cowboy
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  • The Breakfast Club
  • Cool Hand Luke
  • Quills
  • Cabaret
  • The Royal Tenenbaums (80th)
  • Titanic
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Magnolia
  • Sonatine
  • Signs
  • Schindler's List
  • Raging Bull
  • American Beauty
  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
  • Good Will Hunting (90th)
  • Leon (The Professional)
  • Moulin Rouge!
  • Black Hawk Dawn
  • Million Dollar Baby
  • Spirited Away
  • Double Indemnity
  • Being John Malkovich
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  • Mystic River
  • The Crow (100th)

I'm going with Pulp Fiction, but I think Goodfellas has a very realistic shot, too. I'll be somewhat surprised if one of those two doesn't take the top spot.

I'm going with Pulp Fiction...
Me too.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I think it'll be some sort of action film...could be a thriller.

It seems the general consensus is that Pulp Fiction will take the top spot. That kind of disappoints me, but at least it's indicative of what MoFo's like. I think GoodFellas is a better movie personally, but I highly doubt it will perform better than Pulp Fiction. The Godfather is another film that has a chance at the top 10, but I think those chances will be impeded by split votes between I and II.

I was surprised to see Blade Runner on the poll. Do people around here really love that movie? I mean, I love it, but does it really have a chance at the top spot at all? Hell, even the top ten?

I don't think I saw 2001 on the poll, but I think it's got a good chance at the top 10, definitely top 25.

I know at least two MoFos around here really love Blade Runner; I don't recall if both (either?) of them sent in lists, but I figured a couple of really high rankings might have gone a long way. But I'm not certain it'll even make the top 10 or 20. We're still dealing with a small sample size, so there'll be some oddities like that the first iteration or two, methinks.

Yeah, I really wish more MoFos sent in their lists for a couple of reasons. One, so we could get a more accurate picture of what MoFo's really like as a group, and two, so people would stop bitchin' about their movies not being high enough on the list, or complaining about the appearance of movies they don't think deserve a spot.

Movies I'd be surprised to not see in the top 25, though, are Pulp Fiction, GoodFellas, The Wizard of Oz, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Godfather, and Citizen Kane.

Unpredictable is overrated. I kinda dig the sentiment, but I think most of the "predictable" choices are that way because they're fairly awesome. I'd be really happy with Pulp Fiction as the top choice; I think it's a reasonable choice, and also a decent reflection of the community as a whole and what most of us like, which is all you can really hope for in a list like this.

Goodfellas is a nice mix of critical consensus and MoFo sentiment, too.

Yeah, I really wish more MoFos sent in their lists for a couple of reasons. One, so we could get a more accurate picture of what MoFo's really like as a group, and two, so people would stop bitchin' about their movies not being high enough on the list, or complaining about the appearance of movies they don't think deserve a spot.
Yeah, I think seeing the results like this will encourage a lot of people to participate next time. The site's also a heck of a lot busier than it was during most of the time Badger was collecting lists.

I talked to him about developing some kind of rough formula that uses submitted lists combined with mentions on Favorite Movies lists, since there are quite a few of those now, but I dragged my feet and had one too many major life events to hold up my end. But I do expect us to have numerous iterations of this list (with a suitable amount of time in between each, of course), and I'm going to try very hard to incorporate the favorites lists and get some kind of algorithm together for the next one. Should be exciting.

Movies I'd be surprised to not see in the top 25, though, are Pulp Fiction, GoodFellas, The Wizard of Oz, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Godfather, and Citizen Kane.
Agreed, though I'd say The Wizard of Oz would be the most likely to miss the cut.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Crikey, I've got 10 in the top 50.

If everyone I like was forced to vote I'd hazard a guess at Blade Runner, maybe The Godfather. As things stand it's probably not gonna be Billy The Kid And The Green Baize Vampire.

Sadly.

I'd prefer not to do so until I've gotten a good handle on Asian cinema as a whole, as long with French, Italian, British, Scandinavian just to be cool, and those crazy westerns I've been putting off. I think there's a few others who would agree they aren't in a position to make their lists only because they feel they're not nearly exposed enough.
Unpredictable is overrated.
Why must you spite me all the time!? Surely you ruse in my bitterness!

Anyway, unpredictability is overrated only if that which was unpredictable became predictable, but seeing as how this is a top film list, unpredictability is a rare element especially in the top 10, so in this circumstance it would not be overrated but rather an uncompromising breath of fresh, dew-scented air that lingers in your throat until the sun thaws your senses

Understandable, but a) people less exposed might not follow suit, b) it's not terribly formal, and it's only supposed to be a snapshot in time of what we all like at the moment, and c) I expect this is the kind of thing that can actually get worse the more you watch, rather than less, as you become aware of just how much is out there. Sort of a "I never knew how ignorant I was until I started to educate myself" kind of thing. I hate that.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I voted other. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the final 5 were:

5. The Insider
4. Crash
3.Goodfellas
2. Pulp Fiction
1. Shawshank Redemption.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Shawshank up there, but I wonder whether Crash will make the list at all, let alone near the top. I think The Insider has a better chance of being on there somewhere, but I don't recall any MoFos being particularly fond of it. I might be forgetting someone, though.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Well it should show up somewhere on the top 100 i would think. Crash that is.

Honeykid may have a seizure if Braveheart cracks the top 10.

I wouldn't mind if The Insider, Shawkshank or even Pulp Fiction makes it...
I wouldn't even mind if Goodfellas makes it.. even though I don't care much for that film.
it's a good film, I'd give it 7/10...

But I agree with Harry about Crash... unless you're talking about Cronenberg's Crash.. but that would be too weird to be anyone's favourite film of all time..

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I voted Bladerunner. I think there's quite a few people who like this one, and those who like it really like it. I'd be surprised if Pulp Fiction isn't in the top five, though. I'm also anticipating appearances from The Dark Knight, The Matrix, the Star Wars films and probably the Evil Dead films and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.