What exactly does it take to become a mod?

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I assumed you meant that the moderators shouldn't share their opinions on religion, politics, etc . . . Did you mean something else?
I believe it means, you can't let your personal hate for a certain individual drive you to ban them simply because you can.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Sure you can. You're a mod, you can let anything happen.
There have been times when my personal convictions on certain people had my finger on the trigger. However, it's three strikes and you're out (unless you're just glutten for punishment).

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I believe it means, you can't let your personal hate for a certain individual drive you to ban them simply because you can.
Exactly!

OK, she never corrected it when I said politics and religion.

That is a given. Obviously we don't do that, and anyone who mods should/would know better.

Look how long Vertical Gunn lasted. Not because I wanted him to.

Let me officially say that I think mod duties and being a regular poster should be separately compartmentalized. Which means, sure you can give your personal views as a mod. You just can't get all bent out of shape then and use your mod powers when you are disagreed with.

Of course this is likely to be disagreed with. It seems my ideas of good mod-ship from other boards is off base but I am trying to be clear. A lot of my views are not popular here. I seem to get picked apart often for expressing them. LOL.

Nope! I agree with you now. Now that I get what you're talking about.
Well, I still wouldn't read every post, but that's just me.

See, we were just lost on what each other was talking about . . .

Me:
Unless I'm taking this wrong.

You:
As to your post, I'm probably not in the loop of what you are talking about but . . .

Me:
Did you mean something else?

I don't think anyone would disagree with that, bleached; mods can and will behave like normal posters and only intervene when actual rules are broken.

It's all out in the open, so it'd be pretty hard for any of us to ban someone for merely disagreeing without people realizing it. 99% of our actions as mods are related to spam, anyway, so there's usually not much potential for a conflict of interest.

I certainly can't remember a time when anyone was banned over a disagreement on this site.

As a general rule, unless you are a blatant spammer it takes real work to get banned from this site.

I think disagreement and blatantly "being a jackarse" can be mixed up sometimes. Posters can disagree all they want, it is when it gets a bit heated and then turns into personal insults that it progresses to that level, not just here exactly, in general when talking about any type of moderating. FTMP most everyone here, mods and otherwise, all seem to be a cool bunch of folks - even the "unpopular" viewpoints out there.

Nope! I agree with you now. Now that I get what you're talking about.
Well, I still wouldn't read every post, but that's just me.

See, we were just lost on what each other was talking about . . .

Me:
Unless I'm taking this wrong.

You:
As to your post, I'm probably not in the loop of what you are talking about but . . .

Me:
Did you mean something else?
I think we mostly understand each other now.

However, when I said, I'm probably not in the loop, I mean you not minding the PM's with people complaining. You mentioned that you handled that sort of thing well or enjoyed it or something. I didn't think I'd had any part of such goings on (thankfully) and was therefore out of the loop on them.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that, bleached; mods can and will behave like normal posters and only intervene when actual rules are broken.

It's all out in the open, so it'd be pretty hard for any of us to ban someone for merely disagreeing without people realizing it. 99% of our actions as mods are related to spam, anyway, so there's usually not much potential for a conflict of interest.
That's the way it should be but I've seen a lot of things go down on many other sites that are just mind boggling.

However, when I said, I'm probably not in the loop, I mean you not minding the PM's with people complaining. You mentioned that you handled that sort of thing well or enjoyed it or something. I didn't think I'd had any part of such goings on (thankfully) and was therefore out of the loop on them.

OK, no I didn't mean that. I don't receive PMs with people complaining. In all honestly, I wouldn't consider it complaining, anyway. If a situation happens, or something bothers someone, I wouldn't/won't mind them coming to me about it. I've always liked helping people.

When I joked about dissecting things, I was referring to how I "usually" make damn sure I'm making the right decision. I can be a tad anal about it.

Shut-up Spuds!

OK, no I didn't mean that. I don't receive PMs with people complaining. In all honestly, I wouldn't consider it complaining, anyway. If a situation happens, or something bothers someone, I wouldn't/won't mind them coming to me about it. I've always liked helping people.

When I joked about dissecting things, I was referring to how I "usually" make damn sure I'm making the right decision.
Ah! Well that's understandable except the part about not minding if people complain. I only say that because I hate complaining. I am on some boards where people are always complaining for no good reason and also trying to stir up things through PM's behind folks backs.

It doesn't usually have anything to do with me because I don't play games like that. When it does have to do with me I usually remain blissfully unaware. LOL.

That's the way it should be but I've seen a lot of things go down on many other sites that are just mind boggling.
Okay, but with regard to this site you have none of these complaints... correct?

I think the institution of the Rep system at this site is great as it allows for users to register direct complaints/praise with the person making the disagreeable/agreeable post.

We don't generally get involved in board 'drama' between posters unless it becomes a hindrance to the site. Personally I can remember maybe 4 posters who were shown the door because of their own actions... certainly none because they took an unpopular view about something.

Anyway, I'm going to have to assume that your observations center around events at other sites versus this one.

Okay, but with regard to this site you have none of these complaints... correct?

I think the institution of the Rep system at this site is great as it allows for users to register direct complaints/praise with the person making the disagreeable/agreeable post.

We don't generally get involved in board 'drama' between posters unless it becomes a hindrance to the site. Personally I can remember maybe 4 posters who were shown the door because of their own actions... certainly none because they took an unpopular view about something.

Anyway, I'm going to have to assume that your observations center around events at other sites versus this one.
Yep, yep, I was just giving my understanding on what a mod does, or should do, generally speaking.