How did Kubrick do it?

Tools    

The Elected Movie Eliminator
In 2001: A Space Odyssey, I have always found it so out-standing that Stanley Kubrick made one of the best known villains in cinema with just dialogue and certain actions. HAL900 is just a computer that talks softly and seems nice but the question is how Kubrick made such a monstrous villain out of one piece of machinery. Sure you've got Angel Eyes for The Good, The Bad & The Ugly or Heath Ledger from The Dark Knight being famous villains because it's what they did physically that made them famous. HAL900 is just a computer, though I find it astonishing how one can turn a small thing into a famous villain.

Possibly Kubrick got his idea from this book 2 years earlier, about a self-alert super-computer which takes over the world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_(novel)

It was made into a film in 1970.

A system of cells interlinked
The book and film were developed simultaneously by Arthur C Clark and Mr. Kubrick. All this was inspired by one of Clark's earlier stories, The Sentinal.

Meanwhile, HAL isn't a villain. Everything he did was according to (conflicting) programming, as we learned in 2010:The Year We Make Contact.

Most of Kubrick's works were adaptations, btw. He wrote a lot of the screenplays, but the stories were already there.

Kubrick was, in a word, genius -- until the moment of his death, the same week his brutally underrated Eyes Wide Shut was released.

"She could talk her way out of a sunburn."
- Gene Hackman in Heist

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Meanwhile, HAL isn't a villain. Everything he did was according to (conflicting) programming, as we learned in 2010:The Year We Make Contact.
what is 2010 about? i spose i can just look it up...well better yet, is it good?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Kubrick's just a badass...

I have to say, I just watched this movie not but a few hours ago! That's pretty trippy in and of itself. This time I watched the movie while really thinking about it because I'm going to write an essay about it in my sci-fi class, it was absolutely mind-blowing. I've seen this movie before a few years back (I was fairly young, so pretty much only took movies on face value), and it was borderline boring, being quite long and 'drawn-out'. This time I watched it with everything I learned from class and my own thoughts. it was on my laptop too, so it wasn't on my big tv! But hats off to Kubrick and Arthur C Clark, . All his movies truly are top-notch.

and Sedai, even though he may not have written the original source material, Kubrick brought his own touch to it that (mostly) transcends the source material, making it all the better.

Rice, I can't really begin to describe it properly right now, so I refer you to the Wikipedia page. This movie is definitely worth a watch though. But just a warning, it does have a very slow pacing to it, but it's purposeful.