Lets Talk Football

Tools    

I am understandably not loving VAR. Pickford challenge, Mane goal, and the penalty against Sheffield - which was clearly at most a free kick.

Personally I don't there's an issue with the technology, but the problem is the officials in charge of it who are either overanalyzing it or doing nothing on clear fouls.

Every time OGS seems to be under real pressure they pull off some good results, then it seems to go back to problems and being poor, rinse and repeat. You have a lot of good players but I agree with your assessment that unless the wider scale problems are addressed, then proper success seems unlikely for a while.

I am understandably not loving VAR. Pickford challenge, Mane goal, and the penalty against Sheffield - which was clearly at most a free kick.
Well, for the last few weeks you haven't. They weren't calling them LiVARpool for nothing before.

Personally I don't there's an issue with the technology, but the problem is the officials in charge of it who are either overanalyzing it or doing nothing on clear fouls.
Quoted for truth.

Can't argue with VAR today. Looked like a harsh tackle from Mane on their keeper and defender.

Jota is another win for Michael ****ing Edwards.
Shaq once again showing that he has talent. But he has done this in the past. Had a couple of good games and then disappeared for months with an injury. Props to Philips. What a debut.

Two really tough games coming up.

What I don't know is why, if the Mane goal was disallowed for serious foul play (which I believe it was) then how was Mane not carded? Can you have serious foul play without it being, at least, a yellow? Genuine question as (it appears) I'm not clear on the law. Even all the talk after it from pundits and I haven't heard anyone mention it.

What I don't know is why, if the Mane goal was disallowed for serious foul play (which I believe it was) then how was Mane not carded? Can you have serious foul play without it being, at least, a yellow? Genuine question as (it appears) I'm not clear on the law. Even all the talk after it from pundits and I haven't heard anyone mention it.

Fair point. But the crazy thing is that the refs deemed his back leg bringing the West Ham defender (Ogbonna was it) down as the foul. Not Mane going into the GK. Which again shows how Refs are doing a strange job ruining VAR.

Even though he was going for the ball, I thought it was kind of a dangerous play going into Fabianski. But refs only cared for Mane's dragging left leg that brought Ogbonna down.

Another terrible weekend for the refs in the Premier League. What was the Spurs/Brighton ref seeing?

A bad weekend all round for United fans. Bad result against Arsenal (kind of expected because I thought Arteta would get the better of Ole) but I hoped for a boring 0-0 draw or something like that) which was the first home loss to Arsenal in years. Nobby Stiles, World Cup winner and league, FA Cup and European Cup winner with United died and then the news that Sir Bobby Charlton, also World Cup winner, league, FA Cup and European Cup winner and (IMO) the greatest English player who ever kicked a ball and last of the Busby Babes, has dementia.

Does Ole's job depend on what he does with Pogba? Or can he go on as long as he says yes and swallows what he's fed.

I can only see two options. Either he's on the bench most games and is brought on to change a game or Ole builds the team around him so you get the best out of him. IMO that pretty much puts him on the Juve track. Let him play how he wants with the people around him to do the defending and provide the shape. That's how he played at Juve and his best performaces for France have come with similar tactics.

Personally, I'd be looking to get shot of him or have him on the bench. It just hasn't worked and I'm a big believer in football being a team game and recent evidence (and the evidence of my eyes watching him the last couple of seasons) is that the team is better without him.

Unregistered User
Another terrible weekend for the refs in the Premier League. What was the Spurs/Brighton ref seeing?

A bad weekend all round for United fans. Bad result against Arsenal (kind of expected because I thought Arteta would get the better of Ole) but I hoped for a boring 0-0 draw or something like that) which was the first home loss to Arsenal in years. Nobby Stiles, World Cup winner and league, FA Cup and European Cup winner with United died and then the news that Sir Bobby Charlton, also World Cup winner, league, FA Cup and European Cup winner and (IMO) the greatest English player who ever kicked a ball and last of the Busby Babes, has dementia.

Does Ole's job depend on what he does with Pogba? Or can he go on as long as he says yes and swallows what he's fed.

I can only see two options. Either he's on the bench most games and is brought on to change a game or Ole builds the team around him so you get the best out of him. IMO that pretty much puts him on the Juve track. Let him play how he wants with the people around him to do the defending and provide the shape. That's how he played at Juve and his best performaces for France have come with similar tactics.

Personally, I'd be looking to get shot of him or have him on the bench. It just hasn't worked and I'm a big believer in football being a team game and recent evidence (and the evidence of my eyes watching him the last couple of seasons) is that the team is better without him.

Very sad news about Bobby and Nobby.

Re Ole and Pogba. Pogba has got to go. Fully believe his heart isn't in it and hasn't been for some time. We can still get a lot of money for him so sell him to Madrid/Juve and invest wisely. I will add that he can do things that most others cant on the pitch for us, sadly its not very often and to me he just comes across as lazy (even worse when watching him in the flesh).

After watching United last night I've worked out what's been confusing me and why it's not working. I've been watching Sheffield United. It's the only explaination for last nights 'attack'. Now firstly, let me say that Istanbul Basaksehir (who from now on I'll call IB because I'm lazy) defended well and were organised. From the moment they scored I was sure we were in trouble (I'll get to that goal later) but I also expected, I dunno, an attack? But no. Much like MotD highlighted at the weekend, Manchester United followed the example of the original United by getting the ball to the final 3rd of the pitch and then walking it around, passing it backwards and forwards, and side to side without ever really trying to put the ball in the box until they lost possesion. I've not seen the stats but it feels as if that happened from a misplaced pass a lot more than a lost tackle. Then, just before half time, someone tried it and we scored. It wasn't a great ball from Shaw and Martial had to do some adjustments to get the header, but it worked and we scored. Still worried, it is United after all, but hopeful that a swing in momentum, a swift kick up the backside and the instruction to turn them round and create space (or deliver another good cross to someone in the box) and we could turn this around. Instead there was 45 minutes of the same with out best chance coming in injury time (I think it was) from what was almost an own goal. I mean, I was just sat in a mood of disbelief which has become sadly familiar.

Now, I have a little more sympathy for our midfielders than the Sheffield ones because it appeared that our forwards were afraid of the box and once they reached the line, they turned back. I don't know, maybe there was a rumour that it had covid or had been mined or something, but for some reason they didn't seem to want any part of it and rarely made any runs in behind. All our players were so close together all it would've taken was a little communication, eyeing up a move or gap. Hell, point if you have to completely give it away and make the run. It doesn't even have to work. It just has to put an option in the IB defenders minds. A couple more times and you'll start to create a little space for people to move into. Maybe force a mistake? But no. No, we just rinse and repeat the first half minus any goals from either side. Well done IB. You played well. You were up for the fight, dogged and disciplined. You couldn't believe your luck (neither could I) and you took the advantage you were given. An historic night in your stadium. I only wish your fans could've been there for it.

Now, that goal. I say the following without hyperbole. That might be the worst goal I've ever seen scored against United. Certainly in terms of failing the basics. If I was teaching 10 year olds football and that happened to them I wouldn't be annoyed or angry. They're 10. But I would tell them that this is the difference between playing football on the playground or in the street and on a pitch with a team, where each player has their own position and role. I'd explain that, unless it's the final seconds of a game and you need a goal, you never leave an opposition player alone that high up and the way to defend it to have one in front and one behind, so that you can either cut out the pass to him or have someone behind him when he receives the ball. You can have a few differences once you reach this point but I'm pretty sure that every coach at almost any level would agree that this is the standard and 'best' way of starting. If you were drawing it up on the board or arranging players on a training pitch, this is how you'd do it. I'm not an expert. I'm just a fan who's watched football for decades and even I know that.

As for blame? Well Matic seems to be the most at fault. I think he was supposed to be marking Ba and Ba could be the only person on the pitch slower than Matic so that's ok. But not if you give him a 20 or more yard headstart. Was Henderson shouting out? I don't know, I've not seen an angle where I can see it. For all I know he's shouting and gesticulating wildly trying to get someone's attention. But if not, why not? Where was Ole? Or the rest of the coachiing staff for that matter? No one noticed? Or not try and make someone aware?

Will someone on the board make the decsion now? There are rumours abounding, but I'll believe it when I see it and, even if it does, who are we getting in? Another yes man who won't kick up a stink? And if it's not, will we just lose this person (Poch or Allegri are the two always spoken of) after 18 months of being frustrated by Woodward or Glazers not funding the team? Even if Ole does go, unless that last bit changes it'll probably be rinse and repeat the last 7 years. But I'd hope that one of those (or someone like that) would do better than this.

Unregistered User
After watching United last night I've worked out what's been confusing me and why it's not working. I've been watching Sheffield United. It's the only explaination for last nights 'attack'. Now firstly, let me say that Istanbul Basaksehir (who from now on I'll call IB because I'm lazy) defended well and were organised. From the moment they scored I was sure we were in trouble (I'll get to that goal later) but I also expected, I dunno, an attack? But no. Much like MotD highlighted at the weekend, Manchester United followed the example of the original United by getting the ball to the final 3rd of the pitch and then walking it around, passing it backwards and forwards, and side to side without ever really trying to put the ball in the box until they lost possesion. I've not seen the stats but it feels as if that happened from a misplaced pass a lot more than a lost tackle. Then, just before half time, someone tried it and we scored. It wasn't a great ball from Shaw and Martial had to do some adjustments to get the header, but it worked and we scored. Still worried, it is United after all, but hopeful that a swing in momentum, a swift kick up the backside and the instruction to turn them round and create space (or deliver another good cross to someone in the box) and we could turn this around. Instead there was 45 minutes of the same with out best chance coming in injury time (I think it was) from what was almost an own goal. I mean, I was just sat in a mood of disbelief which has become sadly familiar.

Now, I have a little more sympathy for our midfielders than the Sheffield ones because it appeared that our forwards were afraid of the box and once they reached the line, they turned back. I don't know, maybe there was a rumour that it had covid or had been mined or something, but for some reason they didn't seem to want any part of it and rarely made any runs in behind. All our players were so close together all it would've taken was a little communication, eyeing up a move or gap. Hell, point if you have to completely give it away and make the run. It doesn't even have to work. It just has to put an option in the IB defenders minds. A couple more times and you'll start to create a little space for people to move into. Maybe force a mistake? But no. No, we just rinse and repeat the first half minus any goals from either side. Well done IB. You played well. You were up for the fight, dogged and disciplined. You couldn't believe your luck (neither could I) and you took the advantage you were given. An historic night in your stadium. I only wish your fans could've been there for it.

Now, that goal. I say the following without hyperbole. That might be the worst goal I've ever seen scored against United. Certainly in terms of failing the basics. If I was teaching 10 year olds football and that happened to them I wouldn't be annoyed or angry. They're 10. But I would tell them that this is the difference between playing football on the playground or in the street and on a pitch with a team, where each player has their own position and role. I'd explain that, unless it's the final seconds of a game and you need a goal, you never leave an opposition player alone that high up and the way to defend it to have one in front and one behind, so that you can either cut out the pass to him or have someone behind him when he receives the ball. You can have a few differences once you reach this point but I'm pretty sure that every coach at almost any level would agree that this is the standard and 'best' way of starting. If you were drawing it up on the board or arranging players on a training pitch, this is how you'd do it. I'm not an expert. I'm just a fan who's watched football for decades and even I know that.

As for blame? Well Matic seems to be the most at fault. I think he was supposed to be marking Ba and Ba could be the only person on the pitch slower than Matic so that's ok. But not if you give him a 20 or more yard headstart. Was Henderson shouting out? I don't know, I've not seen an angle where I can see it. For all I know he's shouting and gesticulating wildly trying to get someone's attention. But if not, why not? Where was Ole? Or the rest of the coachiing staff for that matter? No one noticed? Or not try and make someone aware?

Will someone on the board make the decsion now? There are rumours abounding, but I'll believe it when I see it and, even if it does, who are we getting in? Another yes man who won't kick up a stink? And if it's not, will we just lose this person (Poch or Allegri are the two always spoken of) after 18 months of being frustrated by Woodward or Glazers not funding the team? Even if Ole does go, unless that last bit changes it'll probably be rinse and repeat the last 7 years. But I'd hope that one of those (or someone like that) would do better than this.

Not much I can possibly add to this. You hit the nail on the head on pretty much every point. I'm certainly not #Oleout but I do think he's out of his depth here, especially if he's not getting backed by the board in the same way that Lampard is by Chelsea. Loads of rumours today about Poch, which has intensified after he was on Sky the other night. I like him but is he that much of an upgrade on Ole? Like you said, unless the Glazers and Woodward go, does it really matter who we get in? I am so unhappy with our squad too. So many of our players are not even top6 quality in the league, never mind playing in Europe. Do we United fans overrate our players? Are Martial and Rashford really that good? Greenwood should be playing more. Cavani being brought in is a player I think needs playing time to get the most out of him. He's not a super sub.

Is there a more infuriating team?

I dunno, you Man U fans should try being a Gooner for a year ..... THEN you'll know what frustration feels like

Unregistered User
I dunno, you Man U fans should try being a Gooner for a year ..... THEN you'll know what frustration feels like

Probably true. I watch almost every minute of every United game and not much from any other team so I could be wrong about this, it just feels like so many other teams play much better football that we do. Granted, we have been (very slightly) more successful these last few seasons but aside from a few games here and there, the quality of our play has been woeful, even when winning.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Same old story, I've seen it all my life. They don't call them lucky Liverpool for nothing. They got the job done though. I'm looking forward to the Liverpool/Atalanta games, they should be crackers.

Shame Porto couldn't keep City at bay, though even I thought Pepe was lucky to stay on the pitch.
I've waited some time till I commented on that match because I was infuriated by what happened on the field.

Yeah Pepe escaped a redcard, though Sterling escaped leaving this field with half of teeths on his stomach (remember how was Pepe 10 years ago?).

Although, you can't possible mention the match without mentioning the absolute garbage that referee and the VAR were. That first goal cannot ever be allowed, in any circunstance. The fact that the referee and the VAR purposedly ignored Marchesin being stamped like that it's inadmissable. And I say purposedly because there's no way at least the VAR didn't see it. He just chose to ignore it.

Then there's the 2nd goal scored from a dubious foul and by a player who should have been sent off already...

I mean, without those 2 goals we could have still lost. We could have even awaken Guardiola's rage and suffer 5 or 6 goals in the second half. But I'd still would have liked us to have had an opportunity. Losing like that is frustrating.

We're doing a decent job in the other matches though, but a horrible job in Portugal. Let's hope Sergio Conceição finds the right team at once.

Now that Liverpool have lost their young back up and don't have any midfielders left to move back into defense (or at least, none you'd expect to be able to do the job) can United please, please try and buy Upamecano before Liverpool decide to pay out big for the next 10 years, rather than plug the gap for 6 months?

I know United won't do it whether Liverpool go for him or not. For some reason they still think he'll be there and we'll get him unchallenged next summer.

Congrats to North Macedonia on qualifying for the Euros. The country must be so pleased and proud of their team.

Well, there's always Milner for CB?

On a serious note, I think after Van Dijk's injury the club was looking at short term solutions. Thiago Silva like free signing. But after Gomez's injury they will go for a long term signing. From what I am hearing it's either Kabak from Schalke or Upamecano. So, yeah, if that happens then it would be fun...for the selling club.

I'd forgotten about Milner. Seriously though, he can at least read the game well enough to give it a go.

I agree with you about what Liverpool 'were' going to do as opposed to what I expect now. How long does Koulibaly have left on his contract? He's the only one which instantly comes to mind as an alternative. But I really expect a younger, the next 10 years, kind of buy.

He's at Leicester though, which means he'll be very pricey. Although you won't have Woodward and co trying to make the deal, so you might get him cheaper than we would.

Yep the Turk won't come cheap. Especially more so when everyone knows that we are desperate for a defender.

Also, two reliable LFC journalists (Hughes and Oniel) are saying that we will go for Upamecano. This in addition to Maddock. Apparently he has a 40 million release clause (which is cheap in today's market), which only kicks in at the end of the season, but the club might be forced to make a move in January.
The club has a good relationship with Leipzig.