A Song For July

Tools    

Something about my nom placing in the bottom few just feels more normal.
Apologies if I committed a heinous crime by placing four others below it - should I be trying to please you more by placing your noms even lower in the remaining rounds?

Let the night air cool you off
1. Blaze Foley - Springtime in Uganda
- Blaze Foley was a funny guy, also a naturally talented, charismatic wonder of country/folk music that sadly never made it big and was cut down way too soon.

2. Ride - Vapour Trail
- I wasn't expecting to like this so much, because I don't really enjoy whole lot of Pitchfork-approved 90s stuff. I might have to dig a little deeper and see if this marks a shift in my taste or if it's just an anomoly.

3. Rage Against The Machine - Wake Up
- That riff and their energy just make for good music. Even if they are kinda silly hippies.

4. Claude King - Wolverton Mountain
- Such a fun classic song.

5. Annihilator - Alison Hell
- That scream almost made me put this song at the top

6. Chelsea Wolfe - Carrion Flowers
- I guess because she's a pretty girl, I thought her music was going to be poppier. That'll teach me to have pre-conceived notions.

7. Still Corners - Black Lagoon
- Could be a little dreamier, but I'm digging it well enough.

8. Hanzel und Gretyl - Evil as Fukk
- Hilarious song. I like metal bands that embrace how over the top the whole thing is.

9. The Chevelles - Barbarella
- Not quite as cool as I thought it was going to be when it started. I like the talking more than the singing.

10. JINJER - I Speak Astronomy
- I'm still not really feeling this style of metal that often.

11. Red Box - In America
- I don't know why, but this song kinda creeps me out.

12. Hugh Cornwell - Another Kind of Love
- Five stars to Svankmajer tho.

A system of cells interlinked
Round 9 NOM NOM

Porcupine Tree - Trains

Something about my nom placing in the bottom few just feels more normal.

I always feel bad about it. It's just that country is one of the things I really struggle with. I wish I could like it more, because it's not as if I don't have a broad taste in music. I just can't seem to get into it.

1. Still Corners - Black Lagoon
I love this band. I discovered them only in the last year or two, so it's still a new love. This feels like a summer song.

2. Chelsea Wolfe - Carrion Flowers
I love her. It was a tough choice between this and Still Corners for number 1 spot. They might have been switched around in placing had this been winter instead of the middle of a hot summer.

The Chevelles - Barbarella
I like this. Never heard it before.

JINJER - I Speak Astronomy
I like a woman who can sing and growl. Vintersea fared well with me, too. It can't just be clean vocals, or operatic. Has to have a bit of growl.

Hugh Cornwell - Another Kind of Love
Quirky. I dig it.

Annihilator - Alison Hell
Kind of a classic.

Ride - Vapour Trail

Rage Against The Machine - Wake Up
I love the band, but that's not a favourite song.

Hanzel und Gretyl - Evil as Fukk
What? I wasn't expecting that.

Red Box - For America
Another "oh THAT song" moment.

Claude King - Wolverton Mountain

Blaze Foley - Springtime in Uganda

A system of cells interlinked
Right there with you on the seasonal musics, @cat_sidhe! For instance, I never listen to Moonsorrow during the warmer months, but in the winter, I might gave a Moonsorrow record in the car for a month straight!

Right there with you on the seasonal musics, @cat_sidhe! For instance, I never listen to Moonsorrow during the warmer months, but in the winter, I might gave a Moonsorrow record in the car for a month straight!

Some stuff just screams a season.

Am I weird for listening to The Fall in Spring or am I just seasonally maladjusted?

JINJER - I Speak Astronomy
Annihilator - Alison Hell
Still Corners - Black Lagoon
Rage Against The Machine - Wake Up
Hanzel und Gretyl - Evil as Fukk
The Chevelles - Barbarella
Ride - Vapour Trail
Red Box - In America
Hugh Cornwell - Another Kind of Love
Claude King - Wolverton Mountain
Chelsea Wolfe - Carrion Flowers
Blaze Foley - Springtime in Uganda

nom:
A Day To Remember - If It Means A Lot To You

R8
  1. Rage Against The Machine - Wake Up
  2. Red Box - In America
  3. The Chevelles - Barbarella
  4. Ride - Vapour Trail
  5. Still Corners - Black Lagoon
    reminds me of;
  6. Hugh Cornwell - Another Kind of Love
  7. Annihilator - Alison Hell
  8. Claude King - Wolverton Mountain
  9. Chelsea Wolfe - Carrion Flowers
  10. JINJER - I Speak Astronomy
  11. Blaze Foley - Springtime in Uganda
  12. Hanzel und Gretyl - Evil as Fukk

R9
Prince - U Got the Look

Round 8

1. Annihilator - Alison Hell
(A masterclass in thrash. Same goes for the album as a whole.)

2. Chelsea Wolf - Carrion Flowers
(A siren beckoning listeners from the darkness. My soul is available for the taking.)

3. JINJER - I Speak Astronomy
(I'm usually more into the singer's effortless angel/demon vocal transformations than the band backing her, but this is a good showcase for their talent. Not something I'd listen to regularly as it's a bit long and overly dramatic, but it's quite a dynamic song. Fairly cinematic, as well.)

4. Claude King - Wolverton Mountain
(Fun storytelling with a sound that makes me want to saddle up and snap my fingers. Puts me in mind of 50's Technicolor westerns.)

5. The Chevelles - Barbarella
(The spoken verses and the sung chorus don't quite mesh, but it's still a cool song and I like the hot-rod rock-n-roll instrumentation.)

6. Blaze Foley - Springtime in Uganda
(Those lyrics. Too bad it sounds like I'm listening to it on a broken AM radio, but in a way that adds to the intimacy and down-home charm.)

7. Rage Against the Machine - Wake Up
(Makes me want to take to the streets so I can get hit with rubber bullets and tear gas.)

8. Still Corners - Black Lagoon
(Definitely a very summery song, but not really feeling it too much at the moment. Maybe I'm just in a wintry mood. Although I do like how the chorus just sorta washes over you like the ocean tide.)

9. Hugh Cornwell - Another Kind of Love
(I was so fascinated by the strange music video that I barely paid attention to the song.)

10. Red Box - For America
(Not into its British 80's sound, but lyrically this is a very interesting song. For a second I thought they were singing "go, Trump, go," which would've made perfect sense given the song's anti-American sarcasm.)

11. Hanzel und Gretyl - Evil as Fukk
(Kinda boring due to the extreme repetition, both lyrically and musically.)

12. Ride - Vapour Trail
(Never been into this shoegaze sound. To me it's usually just background noise to zone out to without ever really paying attention to the music itself.)