Mulan (Disney Live-Action)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
No Mushu or musical numbers because the director wants to convey realism....so they went with a magical sorceress instead?

What is more tiring? Superhero films or Live-Action Disney remakes?
How does getting rid of Mushu make the movie more bankable in China?

They did it because it's the only way they could sell the movie in China. But you want to know what else they had to do to sell in China? Use an actress who supports police brutality in Hong Kong. So when you see this movie, just remember that Disney has become so corporate that they'd rather host propaganda against the freedom of millions of people than lose a few dollars. (Which in Disney terms IS a few dollars) Funny how it's getting tougher for them to keep up the prim and perfect look.
I can't find her actual comments. When I google it, all she said is that she supports police brutality in Hong Kong. But did she actually say "I support police brutality" in those words? Because all I could find is people paraphrasing what she said. Is there any record of what she actually said without being paraphrasing and hearsay?

Not sure where she said that, but it was along the lines of supporting the police, rather than actual police brutality.
Considering the Hong Kong police was under fire at that time for brutality, her words just fanned the flames.

As for the movie, I've just looked up the numbers.
It cost $200m to film, plus the marketing which is estimated at about $50m-$60m... $260m total... was meant to be released in 2018, in development since 2015... so you can add at least another $100m to that total.

... and has had only $5m returned since its release.

Seems Disney's idea of charging people twice has bombed big time.

Oh okay. When hiring actors for a movie, can't Disney, or the movie company, just have it in the actors contract, that they cannot publically talk about anything political while under contract, to prevent these types of flames on the production?

They did it because it's the only way they could sell the movie in China. But you want to know what else they had to do to sell in China? Use an actress who supports police brutality in Hong Kong. So when you see this movie, just remember that Disney has become so corporate that they'd rather host propaganda against the freedom of millions of people than lose a few dollars. (Which in Disney terms IS a few dollars) Funny how it's getting tougher for them to keep up the prim and perfect look.
Sorry I meant this quote says that Mushu was cut to sell the movie in China, unless Ami-Scythe was referring to something else being changed to make the movie sell more there?

The trick is not minding
So, she never said she supported police brutality but rather the police themselves. There’s a difference. She mostly likely meant she supports the hardworking good cops.*
And her comments possibly came after she had already made the film, or at least after she had been cast anyways.
Disney had no idea of her stance when she was first cast, I’m sure.

Oh okay, well what started off this conversation about her talking about supporting the police?

If they restrict the speech of their actors, that fact will become public, and some people won't like it. This isn't obvious? There's downside either way.

Oh okay but there are other jobs where speech is restricted. It's happening a lot more lately where everyone is getting fired for something they say politically, so I thought this was the norm, for a lot of jobs, unless I am wrong .

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Even if it wasn't, most jobs are not public in the same way, don't care about PR the same way, so it wouldn't be a valid comparison in any event. And that, too, should be obvious.

Unfortunately all these kinds of questions have obvious answers, and if they're not obvious to you it strongly suggests there's some kind of basic empathy missing, which means the answers aren't even necessarily going to make sense.

I think the next time you have a question like this, it might be wise to just say "I guess I don't get how people make decisions" and leave it at that, since that usually seems to be the real explanation.

A bucket of anxiety
I sparked a conversation I had no clue was going on this whole time It was something I saw on Twitter awhile back and it just sounded correct to me because most of Disney's money comes from China so if it were true it wouldn't surprise me. Regardless, I'm still ashamed of what Disney has become and refuse to support their films anymore. (Which was well before the production of Mulan)

The trick is not minding
I sparked a conversation I had no clue was going on this whole time It was something I saw on Twitter awhile back and it just sounded correct to me because most of Disney's money comes from China so if it were true it wouldn't surprise me. Regardless, I'm still ashamed of what Disney has become and refuse to support their films anymore. (Which was well before the production of Mulan)
This is incorrect. Most of Disney’s money comes from the US and Canada.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It turns out that the film has a thank you to the Propaganda Committee and the Xinjiang administration in its ending credits.

Xinjiang is a region where they are currently tormenting people in ****ing concentration camps! You couldn't be more servile Disney, could you?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.