Verhoeven Club - Total Recall

Tools    

Kicking this one off a day or two early... the Hollow Man thread is pretty much done now tbh.

The Verhoeven Club's movie of the month for May 2017... Total Recall!!!

Hopefully this one gets more attention
Hope to hear from you guys on this one. Recall should make for some interesting convo.

Personally...
The Recall exec tells the entire story at the start when Doug visits the Recall Centre and everything he said comes true.

Although, the question asked is why Doug dreamt of Melina... and her face is seen on the screen before he even falls asleep at Recall.
So, it might not be a dream. Like, how can the Recall screen have the exact image of Melina on the screen when Doug has only dreamed her?

But... I'd say yes. It's a dream.
The image on screen is Doug's implant taking hold... he's kinda half way between dream and reality... projecting Melina's image on the actual screen image.
Given that the Recall exec tells Doug what happens, then it actually happens... says to me it's a dream.

That was my reckoning.
They even say:
"What if this is a dream?"
"Then kiss me quick before you wake up"

And there's a twinkly music and a fade out...........

But still, the question of why Melina appears on that Recall TV screen... is it his dream/reality state? Or is it genuinely that something has been unlocked in his mind and his dreams of Melina are an artificially suppressed memory?

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
It does beg the question. That's Total Recall for ya. It's open to interpretation. Like Blade Runner. Like The Thing. It's that kind of a movie.

Oh, might be a mistake in the movie, or a deliberate mistake...

Or... part of the dream.

Doug has killed those friends of his... returns home... touches the light switch... physically handles Lori... and leaves no blood marks on anything... and then with a "You call this a delusion?" and shows his bloodied hands.

Could be a movie mistake... or... a deliberate mistake from the filmmakers to make the scene work... or... part of the dream playing out "as needed".
Like, the blood on his hands is a fabricated "as needed detail" to make the dream work.

I had a buddy years ago looked like Quato.

Seriously. He looked like the mutant thing with weird eyes and the same facial structure.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I love how she freaks out saying that but has no issue saying "get ready for a surprise" afterward without so much as a lisp.

Was it some Chinese knock-off or something?

""Where am I?"
"You're in a Jonnie Cab!"
"No, I mean how did I get here?"
"The door opened... you got in!" *rolls eyes*