Sunshine

→ in
Tools    

I have to admit I love this movie and I've been reccommending to anyone unfortunate enough to be within earshot. My one problem is that the movie was too condensed. I loved the ideas and themes introduced in the movie, but it seemed as if a lot of things were never expanded on or fully developed. Did anyone else watch deleted scenes? I thought most of them should of been integrated into the movie and they should have kept the chess piece theme going. Oh well, its still pretty damn genius, but short of a master piece. I'd settle for pretty damn genius anyday.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
So...I didn't love this?

I mean, it was a decent sci-fi flick, but nothing that will end up in my top 10, or probably top 15 of 07 for that matter.

A system of cells interlinked
I didn't like Sunshine at all! I found it to be very boring. After 1hr, I brought it back to Blockbuster. I found that the only excitement is when the 2 guys are fighting on the ship (yeah.....that's exciting)
Sunshine isn't an action film, so I don't think "exciting" was its aim. That said, if you had watched the entire film, and made it to the third act, they do ramp up the events quite a bit. I thought Sunshine was thought provoking, and beautifully put together. The film was cast perfectly, the score was fantastic, and, although it wasn't the most original film, It took familiar concepts and presented them in an intelligent and engaging way. Wonderful cinematography, and some excellent concepts, for sure.

One of the best films of '07, IMO.

You ready? You look ready.
And it easily has some of the sickest scenes in the sci-fi genre. Repairing the sun shields, the wall of fire, and the bomb separation; my mouth was wide open and they pretty much all had me in tears of awe.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
One of my fave films of last year, I really enjoyed the film despite it borrowing heavily from other films like Alien, Event Horizon & 2001.
I'm a huge fan of Danny Boyle, hell, I can even watch most of the Beach without getting annoyed, and I don't even mind A Life Less Ordinary.
I think the film's strong point is that it follows in the vain of Alien & Event Horizon, and doesn't go for out & out gore or cheap frights, but instead plays on well known phobias like the dark, confined spaces and fear of the unknown.
Another triumph from Danny Boyle and his new leading man Cillian Murphy, a tense nailbitting sci-fi thriller with amazing special effect sequences that stays with you long after the credits have rolled, I love films that encourage you to think, rather than play show and tell.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Quite simply, my film of the year. That it has been a distinctly average year, for me anyway, matters not - Sunshine would stand out regardless.
I have a confession to make. I'd completely forgotten that This Is England was a 2007 film.

I watched them both once more last week and it's Meadows by a short head.

Still, having two films that stood out in the sea of mediocrity that was last year is a distinct improvement on my earlier post.

Welcome to the human race...
I have a confession to make. I'd completely forgotten that This Is England was a 2007 film.

I watched them both once more last week and it's Meadows by a short head.

Still, having two films that stood out in the sea of mediocrity that was last year is a distinct improvement on my earlier post.
I thought This Is England was a 2006 release - or so IMDb told me...

It had a couple of film festival slots in late 2006 but no general release til April '07. A moot point I suppose but does that mean my original post is off the hook?

Adding This is England to Netflix...
Make sure it is at the top

Just a quick note about the airlock scene -

WARNING: "Sunshine" spoilers below
I saw this film thrice in the theater, all in the same week, I went each time with a different person, and once alone. When I watched my DVD copy, and the broken airlock scene came on, my memory popped a red flag up. The scene had been cut for the DVD release. I clearly remember a conversation about why Capa got the suit. There was a short conversation between the people in the room (before Harvey got there), and they quickly agreed that the ship's mechanic and the ship psyche officer were clearly not as important as the guy that constructed and needed to operate the payload. On the DVD, there is a cutaway from when they pull the suit out and mace say "well, one of us will anyway". When we return to the airlock after the cutaway, Capa is already in the suit and Harvey arrives and starts the argument. They DO mention Capa's importance at this point, but the info is being presented to the viewer after the fact, and it flubs the narrative a bit. Clearly, someone thought it was redundant, because they have to explain it to Harvey afterwards, but, I thought the scene played better in the theater.
That scene is on my Blu-Ray copy.

It's on my R2 DVD copy too.

I watched Sunshine again today actually, 2nd time in a week. I'm like a kid in a sweet shop with my upscaling gubbins so will probably watch nothing but 20 minutes of every DVD I own for the next month.

Sunshine was intended to be just one of those experiments but I couldn't turn it off.

Yup, seems like a R1 DVD issue. My copy is Blu-Ray, and I also have a R2 copy. Both have that particular scene.
Or do they?

It's strange how memory plays tricks (especially when I'd watched something so recently) but I've replayed the scene again and the R2 DVD has it happening exactly as Seds says - not the cinimatic version:

Suit/whiny expendable new captain/explanation

All I can imagine is that DB thought that things didn't need to be explained twice and if he'd preferred the original scene it'd have been included (it's hardly a time issue). As far as I can see it's not on the deleted scenes either...

Unless Seds is making this up/memory playing tricks like mine did?

I didn't see the film theatrically so can't comment further...

Or do they?

It's strange how memory plays tricks (especially when I'd watched something so recently) but I've replayed the scene again and the R2 DVD has it happening exactly as Seds says - not the cinimatic version:

Suit/whiny expendable new captain/explanation

All I can imagine is that DB thought that things didn't need to be explained twice and if he'd preferred the original scene it'd have been included (it's hardly a time issue). As far as I can see it's not on the deleted scenes either...

Unless Seds is making this up/memory playing tricks like mine did?

I didn't see the film theatrically so can't comment further...
I never saw the movie before i got in on Blu Ray and that scene is there on my copy.

I never saw the movie before i got in on Blu Ray and that scene is there on my copy.
You're sure that there are two explanations as to why Capa got the suit, not just a quick one when the Coms Officer (the guy who was in the abandoned ship's Eco Garden and wants the suit 'cos he's the captain) comes back?

The R2 DVD only has the latter (same as the R1 it seems) so unless the BD disc is a different cut of the film (ie: the cinematic cut according to Seds) I sense some mischief afoot.

I watched the movie completely cold, no previews, no reviews, no hype. I was floored by the opening scene of the film. After I finished i was wondering why this movie wasn't huge. I think it's teh best sci-fi move made to date. 40 million budget movie is low, i guess no money for marketing. also too uncompromising, although i wish it was even more so.

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
The only problem was the other ship's captain needed to be reworked

Boyle has serious skills.

I just rewatched 2001. I give it credit for being original and changing the game, but Sunshine is better in every way. It also seems to to have had more scientific research behind it.

I watched event horizon recently, and have seen alien. those movies are a total different plane. They are horror movies more than anything. Sunshine has a heftier scientific base, a lot of time spent thinking of things that would actually happen on such a mission.

I thought this movie was great! Although I think they could have done a better job casting the Chris Evans part. He does not strike me as the Science Fiction type, more like a Fast and the Furious type.

Sunshine is one of the best science fiction movies of the millennium. It's better than any others I can think about: Moon? Better. Pandorum? Way better. Wall-E? Slightly better, same applies to Inception. Star Wars: Clone Wars? What????

Let me think, other good sci-fi movies of the new millennium? Satoshi Kon's Paprika and Makoto Shinkai's 5 Centimeters per Second are also very strong sci fi movies, though they are not focused on the sci fi aspects as Sunshine.