Resident Alien

Tools    

New show, fourth episode airs tomorrow. It's on SyFy. Premise: an alien crashes on earth and has to replace a human man to hide among the people in a small town (he can mask his appearance). Super straightforward. Alan Tudyk is the alien-as-man.

Really solid, very funny. There's a version of this show that's just really boring, cliche "fish out of water" stuff, but it consistently aims higher than that mostly hits. Pretty big fan of this one already, and honestly the fact that it's based on a graphic novel probably has a lot to do with that. I think that's helped them get their feet under them much faster than most comedies do, and it gives me a lot more faith in a property any time it has that foundation/runway to work from.

I'm waiting until all the episodes are out so I can binge it. Looks like a fun time and hear nothing but good things about it.

Yeah, I'm very pleasantly surprised. I like Tudyk and all but he's in a lot of "pretty good" shows like this. So I hear that, the premise, the channel...and it all sounds like it's gonna be a solid
, which isn't something I'm gonna make time for with all the options out there. But it's better than I'd expected.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I’m of the belief that his role on Doom Patrol helped sell this and not his pirate work.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Ah, I'd been seeing info on this but didn't realize it had started airing. While we still have cable TV, and SyFy in particular, I should be watching this! I love Tudyk!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Yoda, Thanks for the info about "Resident Alien".

I hadn't heard about this show until I read about it here, but I watched the first few episodes this week and I love it. It's one of my new favorite shows.

I'm finally watching episodes of this show. After the first one, though, I wasn't sure I was going to like it, despite adoring Tudyk in anything. It seemed too... obvious in spots. But I gave the second episode a whirl, and I was hooked. Tudyk is knocking it out of the park, and many of the other characters grew on me too. The sheriff is hilarious, as is Deputy Liv. The writing is just the right balance of story/plot and just funny one-liners.

And, of course, Tudyk's facial expressions and speaking cadence make everything better. When he does a fake laugh, I end up laughing too.

Sadly, this seems like the kind of basic plotline that won't be able to go on as long as I'll want it to. But I'm definitely going along for the ride.

OKAY, SERIOUSLY. As I typed that previous post, I was sitting through a commercial during episode 6. And I was writing about how I wasn't sure the basic plotline could sustain very much.

And then the sh*t hit the fan.

NEVER MIND.

Yeah, plenty of plotline options. It's a little less hilarious than it was at first, but still pretty good, and honestly this is better than most comedies manage to be upfront (I think comedies, in particular, hit their stride after a season or two, when the writers get to write entire seasons already knowing what the characters will actually sound like).

Season finale in a couple of days

I haven't decided if it's Tudyk's eyes or that squared-off jawline that make me laugh the most, but the combination is impeccable.

Also, apparently his last name is pronounced TOO-dyck, not TUDDyck, as I had been assuming. Who knew?

I haven't decided if it's Tudyk's eyes or that squared-off jawline that make me laugh the most, but the combination is impeccable.

Also, apparently his last name is pronounced TOO-dyck, not TUDDyck, as I had been assuming. Who knew?

He has an expressive face that he knows how to use, I hope it took years of practice, if it's natural then I might start hating him lol

I binge watched this just the other month, and i have to say, it's probably the best thing I've seen this year by far. Really looking forward to the second season (end of march 2022)... Just hoping that i'm strong enough not to watch it until it's all out. I do like a good staring session. I'll be sure to let yous know