Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021)

Tools    

Looks like Jason Momoa could run away with it. And the Pink Floyd cover is a nod to the infamously discarded Alejandro Jodorowsky adaptation from the 1970s (they were going to provide the score for it.)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Man the Tremors reboot looks intense.

lol. You beat me to the "nice graboid sign" reference. Also, I'm bracing for the incoming "What's in the box?" Se7en memes.

Looks very nice. I'm not sure on Paul, but it's Dune. I'll probably watch it 3x in theater.

I'm not sure on Paul, but it's Dune. I'll probably watch it 3x in theater.
Worst.
Cosmic Wars.
Ever.

I will only see it three more times.
Today.

Don't know much about Dune but that it is an old loved novel, David Lynch took a stab at it and South Park spice meleange gag.

Trailer was ok to me. Seen better. Basically just a bunch of famous actor shots telling you who is in it and the tremor at the end.

But Villeneuve is one of the best directors working so I have complete faith in it, will probably venture out and see it whenever the hell it hits theaters. Hopefully he can have some commercial success this time unlike with Blade Runner. No doubts it will be a good movie and he seems to have some passion for the source material.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Dang, what is this dune i never heard of it. sound like a pc game from 2000

A system of cells interlinked
Surprised more people haven't heard of Dune, seeing as how it is widely considered to be the best classic science fiction novel of all time. The 1984 film...is not he best sci-fi of all time.

It has its strengths, but even Lynch has disowned the thing. I think he nailed the look/feel, but the film misses on many other levels.

That said, the trailer gives me the idea that Villeneuve is borrowing liberally from Lynch's version, with a few of the scenes looking like they were lifted wholesale.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
If the last film is anything to go by this could have worked better as a TV series, but I don't know the books so can't say for sure.

It looks good though, and it's Villeneuve.

not to pick on every one of your points but doesn't the cast look second rate ? javier bardem ? oscar isaac ? rebecca ferguson(aka tom cruise movie generic eye candy woman) ? josh brolin ? these are all actors that tried their hands to be leading men and they failed and they settled for playing supporting roles....if it was mark wahlberg or matt damon..then i would look at the cast differently..but these are all actors that are not on the top of the list for being in a lead role. And also to have oscar isaac and josh brolin and javier bardem in the same movie is confusing because for general public they look almost the same as all three of them are not that famous.

Second rate.
No.

Look the same?
I guess in that they each have eyes, arms, and wear shoes, sure.

why project your indifference onto the "general public" as if everyone else can only see in two dimensions too?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I had Dune 2000, which was a RTS game based on the books.
lol i actually joking up there, ofc i'd heard about dune(the book, lynch adaptation). i once play the game in my sister's PC. i found its rather a hard game or i just quiet young back then xD.
it deserves a shout out!

Second rate.
No.

Look the same?
I guess in that they each have eyes, arms, and wear shoes, sure.

why project your indifference onto the "general public" as if everyone else can only see in two dimensions too?
They are all almost movie star material but not quite movie star material. And audience rejected them as leads and they settled for supporting is a fact. If you are not that famous and you look similar to someone else then audience will confused both of you. These are facts not projections.

Tell me one movie where they are proper leads and that movie is a mainstream hit ?

Tell me one movie where they are proper leads and that movie is a mainstream hit ?
Dude, he's questioning your measure of quality, so it makes zero sense to simply cite that measure and ask him to produce something that conforms to it.

Do you genuinely not understand these arguments, or are you just ignoring them because engaging with them honestly would force you to admit these are all just personal preferences? I honestly can't tell.

And audience rejected them as leads and they settled for supporting is a fact.
No it isn't. The word "settled" is conjecture. Inarguably.

You seem to smuggle psychological speculation into things without even realizing you're doing it.

And audience rejected them as leads and they settled for supporting is a fact.

Settled? Or preferred.

If you are not that famous and you look similar to someone else then audience will confused both of you.

Please provide proof.

Can some not see the difference? Sure, I'm responding to one, so I'll give you that. Still, you're the only one. Is one data point enough to draw any level of conclusion? Eh, sure, if one assumes only their opinion is the only one of matter. But that's silly.

These are facts not projections.

Not by simply making that statement, nope. If that's the rule, then those were projections not facts. There. I win.

Not so fast. You made the claim. It's your responsibility to back it up, not ask me to prove the opposite.

Also, it's funny how you keep adding subjective qualifiers like "proper" and "mainstream hit." Your back must be killing you digging up that goal post so often.

Dude, he's questioning your measure of quality, so it makes zero sense to simply cite that measure and ask him to produce something that conforms to it.

Do you genuinely not understand these arguments, or are you just ignoring them because engaging with them honestly would force you to admit these are all just personal preferences? I honestly can't tell.

No it isn't. The word "settled" is conjecture. Inarguably.

You seem to smuggle psychological speculation into things without even realizing you're doing it.
I am surprised at how confident you think you are at understanding these arguments...you think you are right and some sort of big brother trying to mediate and settle a squabble. Its funny to be honest.

Notice that this reply contains no explanation or counterargument, which I'm sorry to say is par for the course.

I am surprised at how confident you think you are at understanding these arguments
I mean, yeah, after you ignored the exact same counterarguments about the exact same things for the 20th time, I started to figure there wasn't a lot behind it. Ya' got me.

you think you are right and some sort of big brother trying to mediate and settle a squabble. Its funny to be honest.
I have no idea what about my post reads like an attempt at mediation. It isn't. It's meant as a call out, because you're once again talking right past what people say and trying to reset the discussion by simply repeating your premise. It's pretty tiring.

If your ideas are worth anything they should be able to withstand scrutiny. And if they can, you should be demonstrating that with your replies, rather than try to transparently deflect them, like you just did and presumably will again in response to this.

Oh, and if I was mediating, that's pretty much exactly what moderators/admins are supposed to do, anyway. So I'm not sure there's any level on which that reply makes sense.