15th Hall of Fame

Tools    

My selection is frankly shocking that it's never made a Hall of Fame list before. It is a foreign film but it launched a prolific and popular film makers career, was the sign of the new independent film movements, and yet still manages to feel like a big budget epic.
Your movie was nominated once before, but the person dropped out so the movie was removed from the Hof

...Since yesterday evening I've become really sick and congested, so I can't really think very hard right now without getting a headache haha.
Hope you feel better real soon I've got a crappy cold too, it's no fun

With the addition of the people who signed up and sent their noms last night, there are two people who I know have seen my nom. I'm pretty sure it'll be a first time viewing for the rest.

I'm really curious to see what Vamp picked. I feel like she and I are not really drawn to the same types of movies, so I'm a little surprised that it's something I've probably already seen.

With the addition of the people who signed up and sent their noms last night, there are two people who I know have seen my nom. I'm pretty sure it'll be a first time viewing for the rest.

I'm really curious to see what Vamp picked. I feel like she and I are not really drawn to the same types of movies, so I'm a little surprised that it's something I've probably already seen.
It looks like everybody has seen my nom before except you and Raul. It's a personal movie for me so I don't know if people are going to relate to it, like I do, but we'll see

I'm going to go ahead and do the reveal in just a little bit.

The Movie Nominations

American Graffiti (George Lucas, 1973)

Nominated by Citizen Rules

Glory (Edward Zwick,1989)

Nominated by SilentVamp

Shallow Grave (Danny Boyle, 1994)
Nominated by Edarsenal

Out of the Blue
(Dennis Hopper, 1980)
Nominated by Cricket

Hedwig and the Angry Inch
(John Cameron Mitchell, 2001)
Nominated by Miss Vicky

The Station Agent
(Tom McCarthy, 2003)
Nominated by Joel

The Elephant Man (David Lynch, 1980)
Nominated by Jiraffejustin

Aguirre, The Wrath of God
(Werner Herzog, 1972)
Nominated by Siddon

L'Avventura
(Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960)
Nominated by Raul

Rebecca
(Alfred Hitchcock, 1940)
Nominated by Cosmic Runaway

In the Mood For Love
(Wong Kar-Wai, 2000)
Nominated by Thursday Next

Glad i sat this out because i've seen all but two of those The only ones i haven't seen are The Station Agent and Glory. That means i can join in on the majority of the conversations though, so i'll follow this. Also i was consulted on Cricket's nom again, not sure how that keeps happening. How i'd rank those i've seen:

01. The Elephant Man
02. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
03. In The Mood For Love
04. Out of the Blue
05. Rebecca (That's an excellent top five, they are basically interchangeable for me and they are all-time favourites)
06. Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Massive surprise that i actually liked this John Cameron Mitchell's performance is incredible)
07. American Graffiti
08. Shallow Grave
09. L'Avventura

The Elephant Man and In The Mood For Love is what i'm guessing have the best chance of winning. Weird saying that about a Lynch film but The Elephant Man is well loved even by people that don't like Lynch.

I was thinking about nominating The Gospel According To Matthew for the record. Don't think it would have done that well especially among these noms but i love it and i don't think that many here have seen it, at least those i speak to regularly.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
American Graffiti - Very good film. It seems like it has been a very long time since I have seen it. Probably not as long as I think, but it has been awhile. I own the DVD. So that will be an easy watch.

Shallow Grave - I believe I have seen it, but I am not 100% positive. I may be thinking about something else.

Out of the Blue - I know it but I haven't seen it before.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch - I've wondered when this would eventually make it into one of these. Saw it once but only a long time ago. I remember very little about it.

The Station Agent - I've never heard of this one.

The Elephant Man - I considered this a long time ago, but, quite honestly, as good of a movie as I think it is, I have to really be in the mood to watch it. It just depresses me so much. So I actually avoided nominating it myself for that reason. Now it looks as if I have no choice but to watch it again. And I have actually seen it quite a few times in my lifetime.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God - Do I have to watch this one again? If I could somehow find my review of this from whichever HoF it was previously in, I would just post it. I will watch it again, if necessary, though. Honestly, I don't really remember what I said about it.

L'Avventura - I know it, but I have never seen it.

Rebecca - This is one that I am not super happy about watching, but I will make it through it. It has been a long time since I watched it. A good 20+ years, probably. So maybe my opinion will be different this time around (I just really hated the book - maybe that affected my opinion of the film when I saw it - and as it has been so long since I read that book, and watched the film, I may be able to look at it differently now).

In the Mood For Love - I've been interested in this one for awhile. Now I can get around to watching it.

Glory - My nomination. Oh, boy, am I looking forward to rambling on about this film! If any of you ever thought I was crazy before, just wait until the Glory review. And if any of you dislike it, well, we'll see how I feel about that when the time comes.

Glad i sat this out because i've seen all but two of those The only ones i haven't seen are The Station Agent and Glory.
You should watch Glory at some point, though. I think you would like it.

American Graffiti - I've seen this a long time ago, but don't remember too much about it. It'll either be like seeing it new, or it'll come back to me as I'm watching it.

Glory - I've never seen this, and I'm not sure if I've even heard of it before.

Shallow Grave - I saw this one a long time ago on tv. I bring it up from time to time with my friends (particularly when someone talks about needing a new roommate), but since none of them have actually seen it, they never know what I'm talking about haha.

Out of the Blue - I've heard of this film, but I haven't seen it before.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- I've seen Miss Vicky talk about this film before, and I've been meaning to check it out by never have. Now I finally will!

The Station Agent - Sounds familiar, but I don't think I've seen it.

The Elephant Man - Another film I haven't seen in quite awhile, and one I've been meaning to rewatch.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God - Great film. While watching The Lost City of Z last month, it really made me want to rewatch this film. Now I have a reason to! I actually wrote a paper on this film for University, but that was lost 2 computers ago haha.

L'Avventura - I haven't seen this, but it looks interesting!

Rebecca - Like I said earlier in the thread, I've been meaning to rewatch this for awhile but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's exactly the sort of film I've been in the mood to watch lately. I don't think I'll have time for it tonight though.

In the Mood for Love - I've seen 2046 from the same director, which was apparently a loose sequel to this film. Perhaps it'll make more sense after I see this one?

Rebecca - This is one that I am not super happy about watching, but I will make it through it. It has been a long time since I watched it. A good 20+ years, probably. So maybe my opinion will be different this time around (I just really hated the book - maybe that affected my opinion of the film when I saw it - and as it has been so long since I read that book, and watched the film, I may be able to look at it differently now).
I don't like the book much but i love the film.

Also The Elephant Man is the only film that makes me cry every time, it's perfect. John Hurt's performance is a strong contender for best ever.

You should watch Glory at some point, though. I think you would like it.
Might do that, been meaning to for ages.

In the Mood for Love - I've seen 2046 from the same director, which was apparently a loose sequel to this film. Perhaps it'll make more sense after I see this one?
In The Mood For Love is much more straight forward, 2046 confused the hell out of me. Also it's a thematic trilogy, the stories are only tangentially related, certain events are mentioned and stuff but you could watch all three and not even realize they are related.

Glory - I've never seen this, and I'm not sure if I've even heard of it before.
You'll get a little Cary Elwes in there for you to make it even better.

Also The Elephant Man is the only film that makes me cry every time, it's perfect. John Hurt's performance is a strong contender for best ever.
I completely agree with you about John Hurt. One of the best performances ever. He just breaks my heart in that film. I really can't control my feelings during that one. This was a movie that was watched a lot in my household when I was a kid. For some reason my brothers really took to it. That is how I saw the majority of my viewings of it.

I completely agree with you about John Hurt. One of the best performances ever. He just breaks my heart in that film. I really can't control my feelings during that one. This was a movie that was watched a lot in my household when I was a kid. For some reason my brothers really took to it. That is how I saw the majority of my viewings of it.
Yeah, completely get you saying you need to be in the mood (for love ) it. I thought i hated it as a kid coz it made me sadder than any other movie.

In The Mood For Love is much more straight forward, 2046 confused the hell out of me.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found 2046 a little confusing. I may or may not have needed to reference the Wikipedia page while watching it haha.

You'll get a little Cary Elwes in there for you to make it even better.
Good to know. I haven't decided what order I'm going to watch these in, but that one is officially moving up the list!

The Station Agent - I saw it in the theater, so looking forward to revisiting this one.

American Graffiti - been a long time since I checked this one out, would be interesting to see how my opinions changed since High School.

Shallow Grave - I'm pretty sure I watched this five years ago...didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Out of the Blue - never heard of it

In the Mood for Love - saw this one 10 years ago, forgot most of it, looking forward to revisit this.

Elephant Man - I hope TCM is screening this, this month.

Glory - a favorite film from my youth can't wait to watch that again.

Rebecca - just got the Criterion Collection version so probably going to watch that this weekend.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch - You know I've always put off this one but I have no excuse now.

L'Avventura - This will be the third time I'm going to try and get into this one. I just think you need to be in the right head space for Antoinoi film

Oh and for those curious about my original nom which would have been a hell of a palet cleanser yet someone quite appropriate with this group.

WARNING: spoilers below