2012 Oscar Predictions

Tools    

Yes, it's a bit early, but who doesn't love guessing how the Academy will screw up this year? My predictions for Best Picture noms:

-The Tree of Life
-Moneyball
-The Ides of March
-J. Edgar
-War Horse
-A Dangerous Method
-Hugo Cabret
-The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
-Super 8
-Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Only 2 of those films have been released thus far, so it's pretty much impossible to tell. We haven't even seen footage for all those films yet. Besides, you can't judge how well a film is going to be purely based on actors/directors, if that was the case then Hereafter actually would've turned out good.

Also Super 8 is probably my favorite of the year so far, but I'm sure there's no way it's going to get nominated for Best Picture.

No films released yet..The Help should do ok with what is currently out.

Only 2 of those films have been released thus far, so it's pretty much impossible to tell. We haven't even seen footage for all those films yet. Besides, you can't judge how well a film is going to be purely based on actors/directors, if that was the case then Hereafter actually would've turned out good.

Also Super 8 is probably my favorite of the year so far, but I'm sure there's no way it's going to get nominated for Best Picture.
I know, the fun part is guessing which films will be good
You'd be surprised how many articles on this you'll already find with a quick google search.

You think Hereafter deserve no oscar?I like that movie and i expect an oscar for that film in any other category like screenplay.
I feel asleep watching Hereafter. It's probably the worst I've seen from Eastwood in years.

Somewhere out there I'm having a good time.
Guys I am saying that 50/50 and The Help might pull off some upsets come oscar time.

50/50 is the best film I have seen all year. September 30th you guys need to check it out. It was amazing!!!

I am really looking forward to Moneyball and We Need To Talk About Kevin.

I feel asleep watching Hereafter. It's probably the worst I've seen from Eastwood in years.
God....you hate that film?Eastwood shows what is death in that film...He captured it beautifully...

No way to tell yet on Best Picture, but here's one person who should actually get some credit for being really damn good in his role: Michael Fassbender (Magneto in X-Men First Class).

I am not a fan of the X-Men Franchise. I liked the comics as a kid, but I haven't liked the movies much. This one was great though, and Fassbender deserves some real credit for his acting in it. He spoke like 4 languages really well to boot, which made Kevin Bacon's German accent look ridiculous. Pretty much no movies released early in the year or in the summer ever get much attention towards the time of the awards, so anything that's come out so far is pretty much a long shot for any award.

Best movies so far in my opinion are Source Code, Limitless, X-Men First Class, Horrible Bosses, Hanna, and Bridesmaids. Notice none of them are of the Art House sort, so none will probably win anything.

Super 8 will definitely win something even though I thought it was just a better than average movie. Elle Fanning might win Best Supporting Actress.

That's about all so far.

I should say that movies in the summer really only get "technical" award notice (i.e. best sound, score, editing, effects, etc...)

Somewhere out there I'm having a good time.
God....you hate that film?Eastwood shows what is death in that film...He captured it beautifully...
Why are we talking about Hereafter for 2012. It doesn't even qualify!!!

P.S. If you wanna see a film that shows what is death and isn't a 46 on rottentomatoes...Just wait for 50/50

Why are we talking about Hereafter for 2012. It doesn't even qualify!!!
Because I was making a point that you can't judge something you haven't seen yet even if you love the director/actors in the movie.

I suck at predicting nominees, but I excell at picking the winners (most film savvy geeks do, don't they?).

So, I'm cheating and stealing this list from Entertainment Weekly! Ha!

War Horse seems the most Award-baitsy film on my radar thus far, Tree of Life may get some nods if it isn't forgotten in all that time.

Meryl Streep playing an iconic politician in Iron Lady is a pure recipe for some Oscar attention.

Cronenberg and Mortensen are both due some recognition, hopefully with a win, yet I can't get too pumped for Dangerous Method after seeing Knightly in the trailer. Maybe Fassbender will get a nod, not for Magneto mind.

On wish lists, i'd love to see Reznor pick up another OST for Dragon Tattoo as his version of 'The Immigrant Song' on the trailer was incredible, but seems a bit out Academy comfort zone for Fincher to get a win.

Super 8 seems like the 'credible Blockbuster' film to slip in under 10 Best Pic noms but not sure if it will with the new system.

My money's on The Ides of March to win, but my second guess is War Horse. Tree of Life is way too unique for the Academy to give it anything. I didn't care for it all that much, but Malick's direction was superb and he should win an Oscar for it- even though he won't.

War Horse, Tree Of Life, Super 8, The Ides Of March, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2, A Dangerous Method, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Help & The Descendants.

Going for a rough prediction there.

My money's on The Ides of March to win, but my second guess is War Horse. Tree of Life is way too unique for the Academy to give it anything. I didn't care for it all that much, but Malick's direction was superb and he should win an Oscar for it- even though he won't.
How can you guess the winner without having seen the majority of the films?

I can understand predicting the nominees, but the winner? Really?

Besides, in the last ten years or so it seems like a lot of the winners are more feel good type films and The Ides of March looks like it has an attempted assassination in it. Out of the last ten years we've seen The King's Speech, Slumdog Millionaire, Crash, Million Dollar Baby, Return of the King, Chicago, and A Beautiful Mind win. Some of those flicks are downright schmaltzy.

I'm just guessing. From what I've read about the films, The Ides of March seems the most Oscar-ish. But you have a good point about the feel-good films that the Academy has been hell-bent on giving awards to in the past ten years; that being said, the odds could be tipped in War Horse's favor.

If Deathly Hallows gets anything it should be in technical awards. I'm sure Warner will push it for big categories hoping for some RoTK delayed rewards but it's not high enough calibre imo