2012 Oscar Predictions

Tools    

Agreed. The Academy never was very nice to Harry Potter, anyways.

There are some guys who made a list last year and got most of it right, this is their list of Best Film nominations for the Oscars next year:

1. War Horse
2. The Ides of March
3. The Artist
4. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
5. The Descendants
6. Midnight in Paris
7. J Edgar
8. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
9. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
10. The Tree Of Life

I reckon seeing as its the last film, and if there isn't much competition, The Academy will at least nominate it for Best Picture and maybe David Yates for Best Director. Or maybe a Special Achievement Award.

Somewhere out there I'm having a good time.
Right now this is my top ten that I have seen this year. I bolded the ones that I think could get a nomination if at least one doesn't get nominated Im completely done with the academy:

1. 50/50
2. Drive
3. Super 8
4. Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2
5. Win Win
6. The Help
7. Tree of Life
8. Winnie The Pooh
9. Warrior
10. X-Men: First Class

I think Winnie The Pooh has a huge chance right now of winning Animation of the year, with Pixars flop and all.

I really want to see The Help. I hope Emma Stone gets some sort of award recognition. She is shaping up to be the new Meryl Streep.

"Awkward Silence"

Too Soon ?

Best Picture Predictions

The Artist
The Descendants
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Help
The Ides Of March
J. Edgar
Melancholia
The Tree Of Life
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
War Horse

I really wanna watch 50/50 but I'm not sure it will be out in Denmark. And J. Edgar is not to be released until January..

I think Drive might get some nominations, there has been quite a lot of buzz around that film and Carey Mulligan is in it who is an excellence actress!

oh actually! i've just checked rotten tomatoes and it's got 92% so hopefully it will have quite a few nominations come next year!

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy will pick up some nominations. Possibly Best Picture & Oldman is pretty much nailed in for Actor in a Leading Role, I think. Also an outside chance, but I think Benedict Cumberbatch's performance in TTSS was the best of the whole film bar Oldman, and deserving of a Supporting Role nomination in my opinion.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Hopefully, DiCaprio will FINALLY get his Oscar vis-a-vis "J.Edgar"

Hey I heard on a podcast that the Oscars are switching the amount of best picture nominees from 10 to "amount that is approapiate". So I think that some movies that don't belong there (i.e. Kids are All Right) won't be nominated! This is good news, to me anyway. I have no predictions so far I just though I'd let you know.

I was underwhelmed by TTSS, not sure if will get a lot of nominations. Big fan of Oldman and he nailed the character but it's an inherently and extremely understated role, not sure if that would count against him. A nomination maybe, but a win unlikely. As Kubrick points about the new regulations, i'm not so sure it's as likely this year as it would have been last. Hopefully some technical nods as it looked fantastic

Other Predictions

Best Director
Steven Spielberg (War Horse)
Clint Eastwood (J Edgar)
David Fincher (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo)
Tomas Alfredson (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)
Tate Taylor (The Help)

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio (J Edgar)
Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)
Jean Dujardin (The Artist)
Ryan Gosling (Drive)
Tom Hardy (Warrior)

Best Actress
Viola Davis (The Help)
Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady)
Glenn Close (Albert Nobbs)
Michelle Williams (My Week With Marilyn)
Tilda Swinton (We Need To Talk About Kevin)

I'm noticing a trend that's occurred for the past several years; there's always one summer blockbuster that gets some Oscar buzz. 2008 it was The Dark Knight, 2009 was Avatar, 2010 was Inception and this year it's Super 8.

If Oldman, Shannon, Gosling and Fassbender get nods it will be a nigh impossible personal choice as they're all top actors. Not seen Warrior yet but can see Oldman and maybe Gosling being etched out by heavier hitting roles with more range on display. Been hearing good buzz about Take Shelter and Fassbender won at Venice for Shame.

I want Oldman to win. Plus you put Oldman twice unless he had two fantastic performances. I reckon Fassbender will get some buzz too. Its building slowly but surely.

I haven't seen it listed yet, but I predict that Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close will be nominated for Best Picture.

Kirsten Dunst - Melancholia? she won the best actress nominee at Cannes
Tilda Swinton - We Need To Talk About Kevin? I've read that she is the stand-out in this film so she should at least get nominated.

Tilda Swinton will most definitely get a nomination for that film. Brilliant actress.

Is Leonardo DiCaprio due an Oscar this year? Leonardo DiCaprio is apearing in front at Gold Derby's Oscarologists for best actor category.
Have to see who he is up against first. No good saying it's 'his time' now without seeing the full performance or the other nominations for Best Actor...