Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Tools    

This strikes me as an obvious misrepresentation of what you're responding to. Eye rolling at casting quotas (real or imagined) isn't the same thing as saying "white men should always and forever be the main characters."
It's not even a big issue with me -- it's just something I noted. It stands out that it appears the main character is female when before it was always a male, and it stands out that she's accompanied by a black man as the... secondary character or whatever you call it. I'm not even really bothered by it in this case. I say that because in some other movie, I may very well be. Turning Mad Max into a woman -- as they subtly kinda did in the new Fury Road movie -- will piss me off. It looks like a trend now, between that and the female Ghostbusters movie and now a female lead in the new Star Wars (if she is the lead, which is just a suspicion, but it's looking very likely). So yeah, it does make me roll my eyes, especially when it does look even more like "meeting a quota" or whatever by casting the black man by her side.

As a story, this could all very well work, but I must argue that there's nothing wrong with staying with traditions (a WHITE man). I get the sense that this movie is trying to be all progressive. I have felt that ever since the first trailer, when the first thing we saw was John Boyega in the desert. I may be reading into something that may not be there.... (but I think it is) ... and it's the fact that this movie is trying to be different and is sort of a reflection of our cultural/political landscape. The lead black man -- this is Star Wars in the Barack Obama age. The lead white female -- this is Star Wars in what may be the Hillary Clinton age if she wins the presidency next year. It feels to me like they're doing these things to be very matchy-matchy with the times.

I feel bad for people who feel like they can't even comment about these things or else they'll be accused of sexism and racism. Who can't voice that they feel bothered for some reason. Everywhere on the internet, if you see people talking about it, you see people going, "GET OVER IT!" "Stop being a racist! Stop being a sexist!" Well, I'm sorry, but there are people who do like things being a certain way, and I think that sometimes when you're attempting to fulfill a quota or whatever, you could be shooting yourself in the foot. There is a possibility that the movie may not be as good with a female lead character or a black male character. It worked before with white men -- it may be best that way. I am not racist and I am not sexist, but sometimes you may have to do things a certain way to produce the best results. To create the best product. Soon, we may get a black James Bond or a transgender Batman, but is it really right? Anyway -- I am still excited for the new Star Wars movie. What they're doing could be a great thing.

Please refer to my thread about how much money Star Wars 7 will make.

I stand by my predictions...
Please link to your thread.

Star Wars will probably make about 200M opening (Id be surprised but not floored if it best Jurassic World), 700 domestic, and a little less than a billion overseas. Nobody in Asia cares about Star Wars, and you need Asian money if you're serious about beating Avatar.

Iurning Mad Max into a woman -- as they subtly kinda did in the new Fury Road movie -- will piss me off.
Did you even watch Fury Road? They didn't do that at all.

So yeah, it does make me roll my eyes, especially when it does look even more like "meeting a quota" or whatever by casting the black man by her side.
You don't even know what he'll be like in the movie yet, so how do you know he's just meeting a quota?

Personally I think it'll be a hell of a lot better then Hayden Christensen, no matter what they do. Getting mad for them doing new stuff is dumb.

Nobody in Asia cares about Star Wars, and you need Asian money if you're serious about beating Avatar.
It's not even close to accurate to say nobody in Asia cares about Star Wars, unless you're suggesting Japan is not Asia. As for China, don't be surprised if it does pretty good there too. Will it beat Avatar? Who cares. Maybe some people do, though if you don't have a financial stake in the matter, I can't imagine why.

Did you even watch Fury Road? They didn't do that at all.
I said "subtly kinda did." She wasn't a female Mad Max, but she did dominate a lot of the movie and act like a female Mad Max. When you see her on the poster, she looks kinda like she may be the lead character. If you didn't know any better, you might assume so.

You don't even know what he'll be like in the movie yet, so how do you know he's just meeting a quota?
"Quota" was said by Quota Yoda. I was just borrowing it.

Personally I think it'll be a hell of a lot better then Hayden Christensen, no matter what they do. Getting mad for them doing new stuff is dumb.
I'm not mad in this case.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
You know there will be an inevitable R2-D2 and BB-8 butt sniffing scene.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
LOL! Watto was clearly a flagrant Jewish stereotype.
Now why "Jews" or Jewish stereotypes would exist in another galaxy is a philosophical question - perhaps Jehovah is universal and his establishment of "chosen peoples" creates cultural similarities? Or maybe it's a case of Panspermia? Or ancient astronauts who colonized Earth were not the Anunnaki but rather from the ancient tribe of Israel?

"Star Trek" had several Jewish actors, (including William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Walter Koenig, Brent Spiner and Armin Shimmerman), and Jewish themes, (including the famous Vulcan hand salute), and it has even been called "Jews in Space" by several members of the cast.

Mel Brooks also had his version of "Jews in Space":

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
SC has issues with something....BIG SURPRISE.

Suspect's Reviews

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I did finally get onto the website. Not until this morning, though. And I will be going to see it at 11:45 in the morning of the 18th. So, yeah, that is that now. All I can do is wait.

I said I wasn't going to watch the trailer at all. And I probably watched it about 5-6 times, I think. I won't lie to you. The first time I heard the music begin at 1:05 into the trailer, I got chills.

Anyway, I bought the "Revenge of the Sith" soundtrack before the film came out. And I remember saying to this guy at work that if you know anything about the story, you can figure out what is happening by the music. So, I saw the other day that the soundtrack won't be released until December 18th. I wonder if the music would give too much away (at least the track listings).

OK. Let me, please, mention something about who is in this movie. I never thought about the actors having been cast with this agenda of being politically correct. I really didn't. And I don't have an issue with either Daisy Ridley or John Boyega in this film. Did a thought go through my mind when I first saw Boyega? Yes. Briefly. Not because I had objections (Lando, people! Lando!!), but because I KNEW how other people were going to react. And they did definitely react. Maybe I am wrong (I am willing to be so), but I don't think Boyega was cast because he was black. I really don't. Did I think something about Ridley being, essentially (maybe), the female Luke? Yeah. But there were never really any objections. I didn't care. After all, she may not be Luke, but Leia is no "little" character. And now there is another bigger female character. So, what? And as long as she is more believable in her role than Natalie Portman was, I am fine with it.

As for these new characters, in general, I am interested in them. I am interested in seeing where they will take this story with them. From what I heard awhile ago (and I am probably wrong), the first one will focus on the original characters more, and they will be less in the other films. So, if that is true, the new characters do matter in order for the saga to go on. So, I am very much interested in them.

I kind of feel sorry for Carrie Fisher. All of the negative comments that are made about her make me feel bad. The woman was an addict and alcoholic. So, naturally, she wasn't going to be what she once was. She hurt her looks a little. But the last time I saw her (pre-filming), she didn't look bad. I don't know what she did to her face before filming started, though, and she shouldn't have done it. People would've made fun of her if she didn't lose weight. So, she did. And I don't know if that prompted her to fool around with her face (nobody could tell me that she didn't), but now people make fun of her for how she looks having "fixed" herself. I do feel bad for her.

There is nothing wrong with the way that Harrison Ford looks. I would think a man would hope he would still look that good if he were his age.

And no Luke in the poster/trailer is fine with me. I wanted to see him. But then again, I really didn't want to see too much. I wanted something left that would be a "surprise" in the film.

So, yeah, that was all that I wanted to say.

"Star Trek" had several Jewish actors, (including William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Walter Koenig, Brent Spiner and Armin Shimmerman), and Jewish themes, (including the famous Vulcan hand salute), and it has even been called "Jews in Space" by several members of the cast.

Mel Brooks also had his version of "Jews in Space":
Have black people ever made a space opera? Let's see an all black version of Star Wars done seriously. Spike Lee, shame on you for never thinking of that. Get out of the hood and go to outer space!

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I was surprised there was lens flare. Seriously. I thought he was done with it. There is no reason for any movie to have lens flare (other than intentionally cuz they want it, yeah I get it), when it screams you are watching something recorded through a machine.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Wait...

Princess Leia - Main Character/female.
Lando Calrissian - Main Character/black guy
Padme - Main Character/also female
Darth Vader - Main Character/voiced by a black guy

Tell me again how they're trying to "meet a quota?"

The internet is ridiculous.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Princess Leia - Main Character/female.
She wasn't a female Luke Skywalker, though.

Lando Calrissian - Main Character/black guy
Hardly a main character. Although I can't remember what he did in Return of the Jedi.

Padme - Main Character/also female
But not the Anakin Skywalker of her trilogy.

Darth Vader - Main Character/voiced by a black guy
Voice of a black guy, yes, but that's all we ever saw of him -- his voice. Darth Vader certainly looks like a big, black guy, though.

The internet is ridiculous.
I am not the internet.

Well, wait a minute - yes I am.

People keep asking why is Finn fighting Ren and my assumption is he is probably protecting Rey for its probably a warriors code of some kind. He likely has force aware powers for some reason he just is not a skywalker which Rey is and will be more skilled with less effort. Does not mean Finn wont try and wont be a jedi he just is the 2nd jedi and if people recall like the Sith Two Jedi can be key. But no where does it say Luke cant have two pupils for only the sith feel the need too kill there master.