Best Performances "Against Type"

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm sure I'll think of one later, but the first one that comes to my mind would be Robert Mitchum in "Ryan's Daughter" because he was one of the most virile men in Hollywood and plays a cuckold, and does a good, convincing job.

Someone elsewhere mentioned Andy Griffith for "A Face in the Crowd", but that was his first movie, so he didn't have a "type"

Big second to Andy Griffith in A Face in the Crowd. I'm looking forward to seeing the responses to this, because I've been thinking about doing one of my lists on this subject.

Big second to Andy Griffith in A Face in the Crowd. I'm looking forward to seeing the responses to this, because I've been thinking about doing one of my lists on this subject.
That was his first movie; I don't see how he could have had a "type" then.

That was his first movie; I don't see how he could have had a "type" then.
Having a "type" doesn't really have much to do with chronology. We all think of Andy Griffith as Andy Taylor even if that "type" was established half a dozen years after A Face in the Crowd, it's still a "type".

That's a good example and a great movie too.
Fine movie I've seen a handful of times, but not in quite a few years.
Pretty good risk for a first-time director in Robert Redford.

If I'm not mistaken, Dick Powell's first tough guy role was in 1944's Murder My Sweet (renamed from Farewell My Lovely) (1944). Up to then he'd played dozens of light comedic musical roles more in the vein of Mickey Rooney or Fred Astaire.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004).

Tom Cruise as Les Grossman.

Robin Williams, One Hour Photo

Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

Steve Carell, Foxcatcher

Jackie Chan, The Foreigner

Charlize Theron, Monster

Especially good call on Steve Carell...the others are kind of obvious, but I had forgotten about Carell in Foxcatcher

I am the Watcher in the Night
Tom Hanks as the hitman in Road To Perdition and De Niro in King Of Comedy come to mind.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Tom Hanks as the hitman in Road To Perdition
I loved that movie, but it felt pretty standard as far as Hanks' performances go, especially when compared to the character in the book.