The MoFo Top 100 of the 1940's

→ in
Tools    

@SilentVamp

The Picture of Dorian Gray
was easy for me to find online, I also find Blue Dahlia and Kitty. But I'm going to have to try harder for My Darling Clementine and Remember the Night

And if you like, you could also watch Remember the Day after Remember the Night. Completely different sort of film, but if you are a fan of Claudette Colbert, you get her in there. As for me, I get some John Payne with it.
Huge fan of Claudette Colbert. So I will check that one out.

Oh and I really like Jean Arthur and The More The Merrier was a fun film, but it's been awhile so I'd like to see it again.

Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)

YOU'VE SEEN THIS MOVIE??? I thought I was the only one! At least I am the only one I know of that has seen it.
Unless I'm getting it confused with Young Mr Lincoln (1939)...so I'll really will try to watch it, because now I'm curious to which one I've seen.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
@Citizen Rules
Maybe this will help you to remember which Lincoln film it was that you saw:

Abe Lincoln in Illinois - Raymond Massey

Young Mr. Lincoln - Henry Fonda

I like both of them. I don't know if Abe Lincoln in Illinois will make my 40's list, but Young Mr Lincoln is definitely a contender for my 30's list.

I checked...my library has Young Mr. Lincoln...but doesn't have Abe Lincoln in Illinois. So I've must have seen Young Mr. Lincoln.

Vamp, you might be the only one who's seen Abe Lincoln in Illinois

Vamp, you might be the only one who's seen Abe Lincoln in Illinois
It sure looks like it, doesn't it?

I will sit through any film that features Lincoln. I don't know why I do because I just spend my entire time thinking things like "That's not how it happened". Those two films (or any, really) aren't too terribly accurate (but they are typical biopics of their eras - so what can you expect?!), but I ended up liking those two films enough to where I can overlook any sort of inaccuracies. And I really like both of them (particularly Henry Fonda) as Lincoln. So that helps to make the films more enjoyable for me to watch.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)
YOU'VE SEEN THIS MOVIE??? I thought I was the only one! At least I am the only one I know of that has seen it.

I saw it years ago because it was mentioned in an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show", (when they're IDing Lincoln in a picture, and Rob calls him "The real Raymond Massey".)

But it's been a long time since I've seen it, so it's on my list of movies to rewatch for this countdown.

As it is now after midnight where I live, I will make the announcement that we are now at the 2 month mark.

Only 2 months to go until the deadline to get your lists in by September 3rd.

As a reminder, if you are not intending to send in a full list of 25 films, then you can send your partial list after July 31st.

Also, two more lists are in. One from Camo and the other from 77topaz.

With only 4 in, this countdown already looks like it is going to be a really good one. So keep the lists coming!

As it is now after midnight where I live, I will make the announcement that we are now at the 2 month mark.

Only 2 months to go until the deadline to get your lists in by September 3rd.

As a reminder, if you are not intending to send in a full list of 25 films, then you can send your partial list after July 31st.

Also, two more lists are in. One from Camo and the other from 77topaz.

With only 4 in, this countdown already looks like it is going to be a really good one. So keep the lists coming!

Camo sent you his list? Hopefully that's a good sign that he's only taking a break, and he'll be back soon.

Camo sent you his list? Hopefully that's a good sign that he's only taking a break, and he'll be back soon.
I wouldn't get too hopeful. He emailed the list to me and asked me to send it to Vamp.

I wouldn't get too hopeful. He emailed the list to me and asked me to send it to Vamp.

Now I'm not sure what to think. He sent his list in through MV, so that's a bad sign, but he wanted his opinion to count, so that's a good sign.

If he wasn't planning on ever coming back, he wouldn't care about the countdown, so he probably wouldn't have bothered sending in a list, so I'm still going to hold out hope that he comes back soon.

Now I'm not sure what to think. He sent his list in through MV, so that's a bad sign, but he wanted his opinion to count, so that's a good sign.

If he wasn't planning on ever coming back, he wouldn't care about the countdown, so he probably wouldn't have bothered sending in a list, so I'm still going to hold out hope that he comes back soon.
I, of course, would love to see him come back here, but I had a feeling that he wasn't going to make another appearance, unfortunately.

Because of that, I'd already planned on asking if he still wanted to send in a list. He just got to sending it to me before I could ever ask him. I know he was looking forward to the countdown. So I felt that he definitely should still be a part of it, and I am happy to see that he didn't need me to ask him for a list because that showed that he still had a lot of interest in participating in the countdown.

Also, our 5th list has arrived by way of Siddon.

Haven't been around much lately, a bit busy, but I'm going to get my list in soon just in case. Ain't never missed a countdown yet and ain't gonna start now!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
First time popping into this thread; I will be getting my list in within the next week or so

VERY happy to see you running this SV!!!