Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
From the Ebert list comes this Italian film set in the 1800's during an Italian/Austrian conflict. A married Italian countess betrays her country and everyone in her life when she has a love affair with an Austrian officer. Rather than a feel good romantic story, this movie ends up being powerful and tragic.
I always thought of this film as of a reference to WWII.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Phoenix
+
Over the past few weeks I've been brushing off films that have long sat in my Netflix queue. I'm surprised I haven't gotten to this one earlier. It's a beautifully crafted film that serves as a brilliant companion piece to Hitchcock's Vertigo.

Cemetery of Splendor
+
Not quite sure what to think about this one. Weerasethakul's style is hypnotic and unlike anything else out there...but the film just doesn't connect with me on a thematic level.

Ben-Hur (1959)

I thought the last 40 minutes fell a little flat, but for the most part I thought this was everything a great epic should be. There were times that this movie reminded me of why I fell in love with movies in the first place.

Welcome to the human race...
Hedwig and the Angry Inch -

Five popcorns forward, one popcorn back.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Slender Thread

Bancroft doing what she does best on-screen, a depressed and self-absorbed character under the influence. I disliked her character.

The Big Short

Layman's terms. Very good movie.

The Tall Men (1955)

-

From the top 100 westerns list, and I thought the first quarter was fantastic until it got bogged down into mediocrity. Clark Gable and Robert Ryan keep the movie watchable, but Jane Russell's character as the love interest, which played a big part of the movie, was more of a distraction for me.

Lovers and Other Strangers (1970)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

The Conjugal Bed (1963)

This one is a unique mix of situational comedy and social drama of the Italian middle class.
Marina Vlady won the "best actress " prize at the Festival de Cannes in 1963. Highly recommended.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future

Everybody Wants Some!! (2016) by Richard Linklater

This draws on some of Linklater's best and worst attributes as a director but overall it's one of his better movies in his later career. This movie is so full of testosterone and male utopia and dystopias that it could almost be a Hawks film if not for the lack of any sort of strong female presence. Working with groups of archetypal characters interacting in short windows of time is pure classic Linklater and what he does best, but his POV is limited to a completely male purview. All of the women in the film are idealized objects of desire and goalposts for the highly competitive guys. This isn't necessarily an incorrect way to represent a guy's entry into college but it limits the scope and opportunities of a film that is filled to the brim with them. That's my only real gripe with the film besides Linklater's somewhat waning ability for naturalism

Odds Against Tomorrow (1959)

-

From the top 100 noirs list, an ex-cop recruits a mean, racist ex-con (Robert Ryan) and a black nightclub singer with a gambling debt (Harry Belafonte) to rob a bank. The con's and the singer's dislike for one another gives an already brooding movie an added edge. Directed by Robert Wise, who has quite a resume.

French Cancan (1955)

+

From the Ebert list, this is the 3rd movie I've seen from director Jean Renoir after The Rules of the Game and The River. At least so far, he is not a director that suits my taste. Trying to be positive, I can say this movie is lively, cheery, and looks fantastic.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

I had to catch my breath after stepping out of the nostalgia time machine. Synth-pop musical scores tend to excite me more than they should.

A great premise of counterfeit money, Secret Service agents and moral quandary. Unfortunately, some of the cast really dropped the ball in parts. Kinda like having jv players on the court with the pros. Chunky dialogue and acting were more jarring than some of the face paint seen here.

Dafoe and Turturro were great, but somebody threw in a guy from some procedural crime drama. Excessive male nudity was noted, as well as Dafoe looking like a Brad Pitt clone in scenes.

Going on Ebay this week!

Lost River (2013)