Custom Lists: Beta Testing

Tools    

Hey everyone!

Well, I've been talking about doing Custom Lists for awhile now, and all it took was a multi-month quarantine to make me sit down and do it. If the name of the feature isn't self-explanatory, it means any user can create lists like the ones in the Lists area, and other users can view them/check them off/whatever.

A few quick notes before we get to it:

This is not done

When I say beta, I mean beta. There are some significant things left to do. For one, this initial test is only available on desktop. It's also not integrated into profiles or the Lists area, and the options are still limited. All of that, of course, will change, when we've established that the basic stuff is working well.

Curator beware

I'm pretty sure things are working well enough that you won't lose your work even if I have to change a bunch of stuff, but if you're concerned about that at all, please don't put a ton of effort into it without saving a local copy or something, because I can't 100% vouch that this won't blow up or start over. Unlikely, but possible.

Here's what I need

If you're interested, I just need you to go to the URL below and make a few lists. If you wanna make some token efforts to try to break stuff, cool. I'm deliberately not explaining how stuff works to see if everyone can just figure it out on their own. I mostly want to make sure adding/removing/editing/reordering works okay. Okay, enough premable. Here it is:

A little bit of qualitative feedback is okay, but mostly it'd be better to hold the smaller stuff until this is further along. I mostly just need to know if things are broken, or really unclear, or if there's something really potentially great and obvious I should do, but please have a high threshold for all that, and not just an open feedback session, since I expect a lot of the suggestions are things I'm already planning anyway.

If you run into issues, please be as specific as possible re: your computer, browser, exactly what the issue is or error you're getting is ("I do exactly this and it says exactly this," as opposed to "it doesn't work" or "it won't let me"). Thank you in advance!

Future stuff

Once I'm satisfied the basics are working, I have a lot of ideas for this feature, particularly stuff that lets you customize how the final list is displayed to others (which films get top billing, what that looks like, et cetera). And obviously it'll be something you can display in your profile (which I want to make more and more a "shrine" to your favorites and lists and whatnot).

https://www.movieforums.com/addlist.php?listid=45

Just added my Joaquin Phoenix list. Lou doesn’t seem to be in the database and for some reason Reservation Road and Mary Magdalene, which were in the database, are not showing up. There are blank spaces where they should be, but no titles.

Somehow I kind of never thought about this. Lovely thing for the forum to have, since we are all so list-addictive on here.

Sounds like this will be really freaking awesome once finished!

I’m not on desktop right now but will check in tomorrow and crash all your **** and then complain in this thread.

Only you can see the list there. I have other ways of viewing them, though, so just giving me the ID works.

Just added my Joaquin Phoenix list. Lou doesn’t seem to be in the database and for some reason Reservation Road and Mary Magdalene, which were in the database, are not showing up. There are blank spaces where they should be, but no titles.
Thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow morning.

I've tried making a list! It was easy to use for me and everything worked, but I did have two small problems.

The first small thing that I noticed was that the title one of the films that I added to my list, Amélie, at first looked good, but after saving and reopening the list, the name did not display properly anymore.

The second problem occurred when I added a film for which no picture was available in the database to my list. After closing and reopening the list the title of the film without a picture disappeared (I'm not totally sure that not having an image is the issue, but I tried it with three different films without images and it happened for all three of them, and for no other films, so I assumed that was the reason).

Here are two screenshots of what it looks like before closing and reopening the list:
(with the first parasite being a 2004 movie of the same name with no picture available)

and after doing so:

Desktop PC
Browser: Firefox (current build)
& Chromium (current build)

I went to my previous made list: Director Anthony Mann Westerns and some titles were missing, here's a screen shot:

Then I added in one of the missing movie titles Cimarron (1960). The title was added. Then I refreshed my browser to double check that it was still working and the entire list
disappeared. Here's a screen shot:

Also: how do we delete our list? I couldn't see where to do it at.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-05-17 15-27-52.png
Views:	629
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	64629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-05-17 15-36-35.png
Views:	627
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	64630  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Yoda, I tried looking at the list that @Citizen Rules made because I wanted to see what the new custom lists look like, but I noticed that none of his lists are showing in the lists section of his profile anymore.

Then I randomly picked another user, (@cricket;), who I know fills out his lists, and hasn't posted here about trying to create any new custom lists, and all of his lists are there.

It looks like something is deleting all of the MoFo lists for some people who create these new custom lists.

Then I checked the lists section for @CaptainT, and his lists are missing too, but the lists for @Miss Vicky seem to still be there, so it's not happening to everyone.

@Yoda, I also noticed that for the people who still have their MoFo lists, their bottom few lists are all the same 3 lists, but they are custom lists, not MoFo lists.

These are the three lists:
The Essential Gloria Grahame Movies
25 Not So Good Westerns
some favorites of mine

But when I click on any of these three lists, it just brings me back to the main lists page.

As mentioned, there is no list integration in profiles or anywhere else, so that last bit is expected. They won’t be viewable yet. This is just testing the creation and editing.

As mentioned, there is no list integration in profiles or anywhere else, so that last bit is expected. They won’t be viewable yet. This is just testing the creation and editing.

But should they be deleting the previous MoFo lists?

They’re not, it’s just the static cache for certain displays. I’m on a tablet and the description is a little technical but all the logged films are still saved, so people can rest easy.

@Yoda

I just started trying to make a new list, and the first couple of things that I noticed are:

1) The movies seem to go in reverse order. What I mean is that if I have a ranked list from #1 thru #25, and I list the movies starting with #1 and continuing #2, #3, etc., as I input the list, it shows up in reverse order, so my #1 movie now becomes my #25 movie, and the list is backwards.

2) The year of the movie doesn't show in the list. Only the movie title appears.

I haven't completed the list, so I don't know yet what the final list looks like, but will these be automatically fixed when I finish the list, or do I have to enter the movies in reverse order, and add the year (if it's possible to do so)?

1) The movies seem to go in reverse order. What I mean is that if I have a ranked list from #1 thru #25, and I list the movies starting with #1 and continuing #2, #3, etc., as I input the list, it shows up in reverse order, so my #1 movie now becomes my #25 movie, and the list is backwards.
Each time you add another movie it goes to the top of the list, so in your case with a Top 25 you'd start adding #25 and finish at #1, then they order would be automatically correct. You can also drag and rearrange the movie titles to however you like them.

2) The year of the movie doesn't show in the list. Only the movie title appears.
I image that's something Yoda will work on once the beta testing is done. The year next to the title would be important.

The Essential Gloria Grahame Movies
list is mine

Each time you add another movie it goes to the top of the list, so in your case with a Top 25 you'd start adding #25 and finish at #1, then they order would be automatically correct. You can also drag and rearrange the movie titles to however you like them.
I figured that out, but wouldn't it make more sense to just be able to input the movies in the correct order, rather than having to start from the bottom of the list?

The Essential Gloria Grahame Movies list is mine
Can you see any of the lists that I added? (Or at least just the list titles?)

...Can you see any of the lists that I added? (Or at least just the list titles?)
I clicked the link Yoda had in his first post and I can't see anybodies list but my own. What link are you clicking? (I'll check back on this thread tomorrow, I'm signing off now)

Here's what I see:

@Yoda

This is strange. I added three lists. Two of them were added with no problems, (except for the order and year issues that I mentioned above), but the third list was missing a couple of movies because the posters were blank, (as mentioned earlier by a couple of other people).

I left that browser page open for a few minutes while reading a different MoFo page in a different tab, and when I came back to my custom lists page, the first two lists were still there, but the list that was missing a couple of movie posters is now completely blank.

I clicked the link Yoda had in his first post and I can't see anybodies list but my own. What link are you clicking? (I'll check back on this thread tomorrow, I'm signing off now)

Here's what I see:

I'm going through my "View Your Profile" page, and clicking on "Lists", (abovve my top ten movies). Then I clicked on "View/Manage Your Lists". I can see some extra lists at the bottom of the MoFo lists, but I can't get to any of the lists.

I can't see the page that you posted except for my own custom lists page, and it looks like I'm having the same problem that you're having with one missing list.

It's strange that I can see the title for your Gloria Grahame list, but not for your Kelly Reichardt list. (I assume that I can't see your Anthony Mann list (title only) because it's a blank list.)

@Yoda, I just wanted to add that I love the look and layout of the Custom Lists page. It's easy to see the lists, and flip through the top ten of each list, and it's not overwhelming or confusing in any way.

Will we be able to change the order of the lists, or will they automatically list based on when they were created, alphabetically, or some other criteria?

Oh boy, lot to go through this morning. I'll be back shortly after ironing out a few of the quicker/smaller issues.

Yeah, the plan is to be able to change order and any other number of things.

Re: first-to-last or last-to-first. I think the issue is I'm not sure what most people will think is the "correct' way. Both sort of make sense to me. When I list items off I always put the first first, so to speak, so the current setup feels the most like a real physical list. But I can see why someone would prefer the other way, too. I worry this is one of those situations where either way someone's going to find it unintuitive, and either way for valid reasons.