Marilyn Monroe

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
She may have driven her directors and fellow actors crazy, but what's on the screen is usually very good. She's quite spectacular in John Huston's The Misfits, her final film. My other fave performances would be Some Like It Hot and Bus Stop, but there are many others. She was also a fine singer.

I agree with Mark. She's great on screen. She gave delightful performances in every film I've seen her in.

So the answer is "yes!" She certainly had talent!

Actually, her performance of "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" is one of my top 3 favorite musical moments of all time.

Have always been fascinated with Marilyn...as an actress and her public persona. She was beautiful and had a real gift for light comedy. I think her time at the Actor's Studio promoted a definite improvement in her acting skills. I think she should have received an Oscar nomination for her performance in BUS STOP. Prior to her time in New York, she also displayed some acting chops in DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK. I also find that I can't take my eyes off of her whenever I watch GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES and HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE. It would have been very interesting to see what kind of work she would have done if she had lived. SOMETHING'S GOT TO GIVE seemed to have the potential to be a minor classic and I understand she was the first choice to play Holly in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S. Unfortunately, she was in no shape physically or emotionally to due that film, but it sure would have been interesting to see her in the role.

On the outside looking in.
Drama, comedy, or musical, she could do it all, and unlike many of her contemporaries, she did her own singing, too. Quite simply, she was one of the finest actresses to ever grace the silver screen; whether portraying wide-eyed innocents such as SOME LIKE IT HOT's Sugar Kane or "The Girl" in THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH, or more damaged figures like Roslyn Taber in John Huston's THE MISFITS, she was absolute magic on film. Ultimately, Marilyn Monroe was ahead of her time, an incredibly bold and independent woman who bucked the studio system and became a film producer in her own right with THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL. She was a woman who brought joy to millions of film fans all over the world, but also a woman of contradictions whose talent was matched only by the incredible sadness that pervaded her life. She was an original.