Do you think a movie about Michael Jackson would do well?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
When it comes to true biography movies, I feel that one about him could be very interesting, but would other audiences like it mostly? Or is there not enough material there, to make for a whole interesting movie?

Isn't a film about Michael Jackson already being made?

Would it have enough interesting material? Yes!

Michael Jackson's life story is about as colorful and interesting as they come. He was a child performer with his brothers in the Jackson 5. A very popular group in their time. Behind the music and the hot spotlights, his father was abusive. According to Michael the childhood abuse scarred him for life. With the advent of MTV he became one of the biggest pop stars of all time. Michael Jackson became a household name...Along with his fame and talent he lead a life style that bewildered people. He was accused of child molestation but acquitted of the charges...He lived with a chimp named Bubbles, slept in an oxygen tent, changed his face with plastic surgery and married Elvis's daughter! Finally to be accidentally killed by his own doctor...Yeah I'd say he's interesting enough for a bio-pic!

who's michael jackson

Do you think a lot audiences may react negatively to the whole racial transformation thing he goes through, or how he was indicted on sexual abuse allegations, or how would the filmmakers handle these two portions of his life do you think?

I think it would have to be very out there and kind of vague for it to work.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Welcome to the human race...
Isn't a film about Michael Jackson already being made?
I remember there was this one film that apparently got made in the past few years about a single incident (something to do with leaving New York in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, I think) and he was being played by Joseph Fiennes, but this apparently got shelved because there was obviously some controversy about him being played by a Caucasian actor. Didn't sound like it was shaping up to be too good a movie anyway.

But yeah, given what kind of stuff plagued him I do have to wonder whether or not you could really make a biopic about him work (especially not the conventional approach that it would almost certainly take).

If they make Bubbles the focus it'd be saleable I reckon. Who in their right mind doesn't like chimps? Totally worked for the PotA reboot.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Only if the tone of it was off the wall.

Well about Joseph Fiennes playing him... If they got a black actor to play him they would have to paint the black actor a white skin tone for probably at least half the movie or more probably I am guessing. So if he would be white for the majority of it, than would getting a black actor still be the best option?

Only if the tone of it was off the wall.
Booo. That was so f*cking bad, it actually made me speechless.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

If by "well" you mean "bringing in buck at the box office", then yes, it would do well. Michael Jackson along with the King is one of the two biggest singers of all time, by far, so a well-made film would be hugely profitable.

My only concern would be how long will it be? I don't think his biography can be covered in two hours, three even. He has so many aspects to his life till his passing away, if every part is covered in some sort of detail, it would be at least a four to 4.5 hour movie.

Depends on the angle they want to take. Focusing on the personal side of his life as a kid might be wise since there are some great stories to tell there that aren't necessarily polarizing in the wrong way (like some of his later stories in life)

This is a subject whose biography will likely never be made in our current time, at least truthfully and with a large budget. SJW Hollywood would would be unable to represent a black man who wanted to be white, nor is it yet comfortable with addressing pedophilia/pederasty of age groups younger than puberty. Take away either of these elements, and 5 films would have already been made by now.

~Doc

Welcome to the human race...
Did he want to be white, though? It was my understanding that he simply had a skin condition and still considered himself a black person (per the interview where he said he'd still want to be played by a black actor in a movie, at least). Even assuming that was true, I would think the obvious angle there is to address the internalised racism, which "SJW Hollywood" may well be able to handle.

Yes! A Michael Jackson biopic should be and will eventually be made, in the same way Bohemian Rhapsody was. I really think the Queen movie has opened doors for producers to start making biopics of famous musicians. The name of the movie would most likely be The King of Pop. I'm also hoping for a John Lennon/Beatles biopic. a legitimate one unlike the ones that have been released so far (Nowhere Boy).
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa