Do you think a movie about Michael Jackson would do well?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, if the current standard for musician biopics has been set by Bohemian Rhapsody then we might as well not get one at all.

Part of me thinks he might merit the unconventional approach of something like I'm Not There, though who knows how that'll play to the masses.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well if it compared to the standard of a biopic like Raging Bull?

The main thing that is curious to me though, is the casting. Would they get a black actor and just paint him with white face for most of the movie, or how would they cast that?

Yes! A Michael Jackson biopic should be and will eventually be made, in the same way Bohemian Rhapsody was. I really think the Queen movie has opened doors for producers to start making biopics of famous musicians. The name of the movie would most likely be The King of Pop. I'm also hoping for a John Lennon/Beatles biopic. a legitimate one unlike the ones that have been released so far (Nowhere Boy).
The best music biopic (and it includes John Lennon & the Beatles) is My Dinner with Jimi (2003)

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Leaving neverland

Watched this after having watched the documentary ‘abducted in plain sight’ where a peodophile/sick and evil man abducted a young girl numerous times but had also manipulated and groomed her family.

Michaels story is similar in that he groomed his victims parents to gain access. The victims tell a similar confused tale in which they were in love with their abuser and lied to protect him.

Leaving neverland is graphic in its verbal descriptions - it is at times sickening, saddening and strongly affecting of emotions. The two narrators, for whom are victims are handled emphatically. Most importantly - their story is believable. I believe them.

How I feel about Jackson has changed. Of course he’s always been seen to be an odd character and the rumours have followed him since when I can remember however being moved by his victims accounts following watching this story makes me despise the man.

This is an important film. One which explores fame, fortune, control, manipulation, grooming, sexual predators, deceptive appearances. It’s more than Michael Jackson - it’s a story about the world we live in.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I’ve made up my mind. Any movie celebrating this person would be wrong. No doubt he was a creative genius but that does not outweigh the things he did.

It depends who s gonna play him

It would. But it would be at least 7-8 hours long. His life chock full of events.

This might just do nobody any good.
It would. But it would be at least 7-8 hours long. His life chock full of events.
Let’s be honest, it’d be Walk the Line 3 (or 4 or 5.) They’d montage the living hell out of his career, and it’d end before all the sexual misconduct with minors reportedly occurred.

Wasn’t in the movie. Didn’t happen.

Yeah. I would be more interested in that segment of his life and if that was captured in a movie, I would lap it up.

If they make Bubbles the focus it'd be saleable I reckon. Who in their right mind doesn't like chimps? Totally worked for the PotA reboot.
Nodody likes movies about monkeys. I cannot think of a single monkey movie people still talk about.

This is a subject whose biography will likely never be made in our current time, at least truthfully and with a large budget. SJW Hollywood would would be unable to represent a black man who wanted to be white, nor is it yet comfortable with addressing pedophilia/pederasty of age groups younger than puberty. Take away either of these elements, and 5 films would have already been made by now.

~Doc
yes.

as far as him wanting to be white, I'd say that was a falsity if he hadn't gone the Diana Ross route with his nose.

How about a movie on El Debarge? How about Lionel Ritchie or Benjamin Franklin?

I couldn't watch any of those.

Maybe the El Debarge one, I dunno.

I’ve made up my mind. Any movie celebrating this person would be wrong. No doubt he was a creative genius but that does not outweigh the things he did.
Well they don't have to celebrate him. There are movies about people who have done things that are morally wrong and they are not celebrated. Like in the movie Monster (2003) for example, they don't celebrate the person.

So maybe they could make a Michael Jackson movie like that, where the wrongful acts are not celebrated?

That is a very different kind of monkey movie. I'm talking about things like Most Valuable Primate and Dunston Checks In. A movie about a monkey named Bubbles should be about the one from Dragon Ball Z.

Biopics sucks in the majority of time. Another documentary will be enough.

I agree Ken Burns could have a field day with Jackson

They could also do an "I'm Not There" type film

I agree Ken Burns could have a field day with Jackson

They could also do an "I'm Not There" type film

Then it would just be another documentary and it wouldn't stand out. Jackson deserves more than a bunch of documentaries. If they can do a movie about Ian Curtis they can do one about Michael Jackson who should have at least gotten two before now.

Well I think biopics can be done very well. The best biopic I have seen so far, would have to be Malcolm X (1992). It's three and a half hours long, but they still manage to do a lot in that runtime I would say, all the way from his childhood, to death. So I think you could do the same Jackson, all the way from childhood to death, without leaving out anything important, if done well.

Well they don't have to celebrate him. There are movies about people who have done things that are morally wrong and they are not celebrated. Like in the movie Monster (2003) for example, they don't celebrate the person.

So maybe they could make a Michael Jackson movie like that, where the wrongful acts are not celebrated?
I think the issue is that, since he's an artist whose output is under copyright, nobody would be allowed to make an "official" movie about him without the approval of his estate - judging by how they reacted to Leaving Neverland, it seems that it is not in their interest to produce such an uncompromisingly honest portrayal of the man.

But since when does Hollywood need approval to make a movie about a real person. They made The Social Network without Mark Zuckerburg's permission, even though he is still alive. W. was made without George W. Bush's permission and he was still alive. Since when does Hollywood care about permission?

I was thinking along the lines of acquiring the rights to use the music as it'd be a little difficult to make a film about the life of a famous musician without the music that made them famous.