Standup Comedy Favorites?

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
My two favorite stand-up comedians are:

Bill Engvall

George Carlin

Honorable Mentions include:
Buddy Hackett
Robert Klein
Alan King
Rita Rudner
Robin Williams
Howie Mandel
John Pinette
Jeff Foxworthy

When I watch stand up, most of my attention is on the writing (how well the joke is constructed and how original or clever it is) than anything else. I want a joke so well put together and original that when I hear it, I am so impressed by the quality that I don't even have time to laugh, just smile and think "Man, that was great work." I know, I'm strange, haha. I just really appreciate people that love it enough to spend time constructing a joke that's going to blow your mind, as opposed to reciting a funny racist joke that guarantees a chuckle with pretty much any crowd. I love comedians that really work for and EARN the laugh by putting in a lot of thought and creativity. Basic, cookie cutter jokes may be laugh out loud funny because it on a subject/topic that humors you, but they aren't "good" or original.

I also pay close attention to the delivery method. I never want to hear the beginning of the joke and then start thinking about the punch line before its told. After the first couple lines I should be so engrossed in the story that I'm on the edge of my seat, completely focused, waiting to see what you're going to say next. After you start the joke, If my brain even wonders for a split second about anything other than what you're saying in the moment, your delivery has failed to keep my undivided attention, which must happen in order for the joke hit as hard as possible.

There are many different successful styles of delivery, but my personal preference is like sneak attack/plot twist. Basically, I don't want to see it coming at all, but when it finally shows, I want it to be abrupt, quick and hard hitting.

When ya get down to it, there are tons of factors that have a hand in building your very own sense of humor, and there are many different methods to success in comedy. Just like with any other art form, music or film, sometimes you just like what you like because its familiar or something you've thought, said, or done before, or maybe its just purely catchy and entertaining. At the end of the day, the comedian that can tell a story I don't personally relate to and STILL smacks me down with a hard hitting punch line is the comedian I will pay money to see over and over again.

My personal preference shows up in this entire list, but the excellent writing and delivery is what keeps me a fan. They are all great, but The BOLDED comedians are the stand out writers of the group and the underlined comedians deliver flawlessly from start to finish. (in my opinion)

Seth Meyers
Dane Cook

Kevin Hart
Joan Rivers
Robin Williams
Jim Carrey
Jimmy Fallon
Chelsea Handler

Phil Jupitus
Jack Dee
Frankie Boyle
Sarah Millican
Sean Lock
Alan Davies
Greg Davies
Dara O'Briain

No Particular order:

Frankie Boyle
Eddie Izzard
Sean Lock
Richard Pryor
Jimmy Carr
George Carlin
Billy Connolly
Good list, recently I have been watching loads of 8 out of 10 Cats and I love Jon Richardson too.

Phil Jupitus
Jack Dee
Frankie Boyle
Sarah Millican
Sean Lock
Alan Davies
Greg Davies
Dara O'Briain
Great list the only two i dislike there, are Jupitus and Millican. One thing that really annoys me about Sarah is that if you watch her earlier standup and panel show appearences she talks like a normal human being, but she's now heavily exaggerated her Geordie accent to get laughs , i suppose it does distract people from the fact that she's not funny.

Good list, recently I have been watching loads of 8 out of 10 Cats and I love Jon Richardson too.
Love 8 out of 10 Cats, Sean Lock is a masterpiece . Forgot about Jon, no doubt he should've been on my list. I can actually relate to him quite a bit as my older Sister is very OCD.

Have you seen 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown? Joe Wilkinson cracks me up!

Great show too, that reminds me of another comedian i forgot Lee Mack. Some of Joes parts in the show have floored me . His Synchronised Swimming (on land) part was hilarious.

Yeah I like him too for most the part, although I find he can be a bit hit and miss at times, sometimes he ventures too far into the silly/obvious for me.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Eddie Murphy. Nobody else comes close, however Jimmy Carr is making me laugh a lot lately.

i suppose it does distract people from the fact that she's not funny.
Couldn't disagree more. She's been one of the funniest stand ups out there for the last few years.

Love 8 out of 10 Cats, Sean Lock is a masterpiece .
He's great, but I feel he works a lot better on 8 Out Of 10 than he does doing stand up. He's always been a good stand up, but on 8 Out Of 10, he's tremendous.

He's great. Have you seen Him & Her?

I like too many to really list them all, but the one's who've made the biggest impression (if you'll excuse the pun) on me are, in chronological order (or as I remember it): Billy Connolly, Robin Williams, Emo Phillips, Eddie Murphy, Steven Wright, Bill Hicks, Denis Leary, Eddie Izzard, Peter Kay, The Pub Landlord (Al Murray), Jimmy Carr, Frankie Boyle.

Let the night air cool you off
Louis C.K.
Dave Chappelle
George Carlin
Patton Oswalt
Hannibal Buress (I saw him live!)
Anthony Jeselnik
Doug Benson
Tig Notaro (I've only heard Live, but it's pretty great.)
Norm MacDonald
Adam Carolla
Craig Ferguson (His show is way better than his stand up though.)
Bill Burr

I haven't listened to enough stand-up.