If You HATE New Movies...

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
I can't relate to this thread: I like movies.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I think the best thing to do is to list films of recent that are very good and see how they might bridge the gap between good films of the past, and note the differences and why one might think they are this way.

What's a really good new movie? And why?

I'll go first.

The Witch in the Window.

Great acting, nice and simple spooky story and a good ending. Kind of absent from the modern obsession to make the viewer completely sick and untrusting of the world because, though it touches on the world being an unsafe and evil place, it also explores (in a small way) the bond between family and the psychology that could drive a failure to make amends with family - even going so far as to divulge why the failure had failed.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I was thinking of this thread last night while I tried to watch a new movie: Book Club (2018) I only made it 15 minutes as the character's dialogue consisted of one liner jokes and sight gags that must have been written by real world versions of Beavis and Butthead.

I'll give you an example: Diane Keaton is boarding a plane, as she's taking her seat she accidentally falls on a male passenger who grabs hers ass. Then after she's seated the engines start up and in a fit of panic she grabs for his hand, but mistakenly grabs his crotch....Later when all four women are together, one of them remark, 'I wonder what an 80 year old vagina would look like'...Yes folks, this is Pulitzer Award winning writing for sure

That's the kind of junior high school crap that passes for movie making these days. Today Hollywood movie making is seldom about the art and rarely is excellence strived for. Number crunching money men have figured the exact formula to churn out movies as fast food-profit. Today's formulaic movies are more like fluffy amusement park rides than anything that can stand the test of time and still be loved 50 years from now.

I'd love to be proven wrong and have some movie recommendations from 2018, 2019 that would change my mind.
That was embarrassing for me to even read! Why don't these actors take a stand and choose a GOOD script? Produce one themselves, something..

Because people who are aging, some people anyway, are terrified and need to try and stay relevant in their own minds, so they defend the downfall of the collective at all costs, usually accussing other people who can see thru the BS as "angry old men" and "out of touch". People who need to feel young, hip, and edgy - possibly Diane Keaton and the lot (?) probably know that the good scripts are hard to come by, so they succumb to the dumbing down mentality that goes for the quick joke and profundity rather than nurture a real human piece of cinema, something that maybe aspires to dream a bit more and intellectualize.

Of course then the debate would be ?"well it's existentialism cinema".

Yeah...80 year old vaginas...pulitzer prize indeed...

Luckily the joke is on them, and not us.

I agree. Movies are art whether those who create them (or view them) see them as art. It is true that people view art on a personal level, and many seem to go into watching a film with low expectations when you consider what movies can do. Art is performed at its best when the artists, author, filmmaker knows its audience and performs to them. Think about David Lynch who started of as a painter. When you see his films you know that they are not written for everyone, or even a large audience. Those who appreciate what he is trying to do love him, because he is out there doing his thing by himself. Lynch knows not many will like his stuff, but he is able to draw a large enough of an audience to survive. However, when an artists seeks to please everyone, their art suffers, many times greatly. These days the studios are asking filmmakers to please everyone, and many times they don't please that many. How much money did hey dump into Titanic, or name your contemporary films that were not that artistic. (I know Titanic is not a new film, but I think this problem goes back further still.).I would not want to tell somebody that they are a bigot because they don't like the same art as I do, but on some level schlock art is schlock art which is not really art at all.

Movies are art.

People get to interpret art on their own personal level.

Telling someone else they're a bigot because they don't like the same art as another person, is a form of 'thought communism'.

New films are very strong in special effects (more than ever), only because of this they should be loved.

When you phrase it like that, the sentiment is more understandable.

I do wonder if this can be (partially) attributed to changes in the media landscape over the last 25 years or so, especially when you consider the impact of the Internet and how it allows for a variety of opinions that means that people don't necessarily have to settle for subscribing to what the monoculture dictates is must-see viewing (much less whether any of it was worth seeing - I tried to think of movies I saw because everyone else saw them and raved about them and the first title I thought of was 300 for some reason, which shows why I don't really buy into the idea that losing out on "you gotta see this" movies is necessarily a bad thing). Also television got a whole lot better and proved that it could match up to film quality while also being comparatively convenient to access.
I think you could argue it gives rise to a more fragmented culture though were people are less likely to go outside of their comfort zone.

I mean I remember something like the BBC's moviedrome showcase resulting in me watching a lot of cinema I would otherwise not have seen back in the day, didn't like all of it but certainly expanded by taste.

I think you could argue it gives rise to a more fragmented culture though were people are less likely to go outside of their comfort zone.

I mean I remember something like the BBC's moviedrome showcase resulting in me watching a lot of cinema I would otherwise not have seen back in the day, didn't like all of it but certainly expanded by taste.
That's why you guys should join an HoF You get a wide taste of vastly different films from your fellow MoFos. I've seen lots of movies in HoFs that I'd never would've seen otherwise.

I really don't think it's possible to give a genuine proper answer to such a question.......
Sure it's easy to answer as there's no right or wrong answer...I see you have Ironman 2 on your Top 10 profile so I'm guessing you might Not hate new movies.

Sure it's easy to answer as there's no right or wrong answer...I see you have Ironman 2 on your Top 10 profile so I'm guessing you might Not hate new movies.
There's no reason for me to hate a movie just because it's new or modern