If You HATE New Movies...

Tools    

I don't mind some of the modern cinema but I make sure that its something I want to watch before I even watch it... I don't care much for low budget crap and there are some genres I just don't watch. There are films by actors I won't watch... mainly Bradley Cooper (unless he's Rocket).. I love old films and extreme stuff that most won't watch... sh*t that is way out there...

Rats, I was going to update my post and lost it. Oh well.

This is what's in my Netflix queue, I wonder if I'll like these?
The Favourite 2018
Book Club 2018
Won't You Be My Neighbor? 2018
The Mule 2018

I don't know if it's 99%, but I do hate a lot of the new movies I/ve watched recently...at least the American movies have been really bad for me.

The only new movies I've seen recently that I really loved were:
Leave No Trace (2018)
Wonder Wheel (2017)

There might be a couple others that I'm forgetting. You might like Leave No Trace?
so you didn't like "Only the Brave" (2017)?

I haven't like many new films lately. Stan and Laurel was the last I liked.

You liked The Physician (2013).. at least that is what you told me...

The Favourite 2018
One of the best I'v seen from last year so far, think a of The Draftsman's Contract in style but more focused on drama.

That actually feels like the kind of film were most lacking in cinema today, something with more artistic ambition that feeds though into the mainstream. Increasingly it seems like you have the world of mainstream cinema and you have the world of arthouse with less crossover between the two.

Really to me cinema today feels more akin to music in the 80's, you have the big glossy productions and then a subculture of more ambitious work and not much meeting of the two.

Welcome to the human race...
Let's say you hate 99% of newer movies.. What's the 1% you do you like?
Exactly how much is 99% supposed to be?

A system of cells interlinked

Boldly going.
I tend to like the Marvel Studios movies. Since Iron Man, I've been going to the cinema more often. I've been waiting for the same thing to happen to the fantasy film genre since Lord of the Rings, but that genre hasn't taken off in the same way. The one trend I don't care much for are the large numbers of re-makes - I'd prefer more new, fresh ideas. Disney movies have improved immensely since Pirates of the Caribbean, in my opinion. Over half the movies I go to see are Disney-owned now. They will own all of us someday ... ugh!

so you didn't like Only the Brave (2017)?
It was OK, kind of typical of film making these days, I gave it a
. My review

You liked The Physician (2013).. at least that is what you told me...
Yes I did really like that, I gave it
My review

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I don't mind some of the modern cinema but I make sure that its something I want to watch before I even watch it... I don't care much for low budget crap and there are some genres I just don't watch. There are films by actors I won't watch... mainly Bradley Cooper (unless he's Rocket).. I love old films and extreme stuff that most won't watch... sh*t that is way out there...
Please share the "out there" stuff -- I have only successfully watched one movie in the last month (and it was from 2019!)

Please share the "out there" stuff -- I have only successfully watched one movie in the last month (and it was from 2019!)
By out there I mean extreme films..."August Underground" films, "Subconscious Cruelty", etc...there are many more.

By out there I mean extreme films..."August Underground" films, "Subconscious Cruelty", etc...there are many more.
Do you know any "far-out" stuff from the 1930-70s?

Rats, I was going to update my post and lost it. Oh well.

The Favourite 2018
Book Club 2018
Won't You Be My Neighbor? 2018
The Mule 2018
I think you'll like The Mule. I did, for the most part.

There's not often much I've liked in recent films. For example, of the 2018 Oscar nominees, the only one I liked was Phantom Thread, although I'd have written a different conclusion. I wasn't a fan of any of the 2019 nominees except Green Book, which was fractured history, and Roma which was over-hyped.

I too liked Stan & Ollie, mostly for the convincing and impressive performances by Coogan and Reilly.

~Doc

What an excellent day for an exorcism
American entertainment is usually kind of the same thing over and over, but the same can be said for any country that regularly produces films. The producers, screenwriters, directors... they're all just creating from what they *know,* what feels familiar... what they think the general target audience will accept.
It's beyond what directors, screenwriters and the avenue they take, it's the studio heads, the suits that are playing it safe. They have been for decades now.

Just like professional sports' fans, movie fans sometimes overlook these studios are deeply embedded in corporate mindset just like NFL corporations. So football fans and movie fans are perplexed on the products they produce. They are not making business decisions for the love of football or for the love of film, it's spreadsheets, trending charts, and revenue ruling their day.

And it can all still be blamed on that cinematic catalyst - Heaven's Gate. That's where the demise was born. Before it's release, it was the magical era for directors. Studios gave full autonomy to directors to develop artistic and creative film.

But when Heaven's Gate was released it was such a disaster the studio collapsed and went out of business, careers were destroyed, it sunk an entire genre into a grave for several years.

After that, studios took away director's artistic control and went in safe mode and they have been molding the audience mindset since. Today, it's rare, if at all, that a director is given full control.

I attended seminary there back in 1987-89.
The Tivoli is closed.. it closed last month I believe. I seen "The Shape of Water" there... it was one of the only two theatres that showed it. I live near KCI.

Do you know any "far-out" stuff from the 1930-70s?
I know of a film from the early 70s that is a bit extreme for that time. I can't remember the name of the film right off.. Let me email my friend I watched it with and I will get with you privately Matt.

I know of a film from the early 70s that is a bit extreme for that time. I can't remember the name of the film right off.. Let me email my friend I watched it with and I will get with you privately Matt.
Great - I appreciate it.... There's one that fits this description, called "Blind Beast".

Great - I appreciate it.... There's one that fits this description, called "Blind Beast".
No.. its an American or Italian film .. I cant remember... but I remember some of the scenes.