HD-DVD - The Look and Sound of Perfect

Tools    

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
OOOOOOOOOOOOOH!
Currently in the process of buying 3 Sony HD Cameras for our company, although it'll take a few years for everyone to properly appreciate HD, what I've seen so far looks awesome!
I'm a convert.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Still no point in investing in any hi def dvds till we see a clear winner between the blu ray and hi def. Maybe take a year or two for this.

My brother in law is going to get the external HD-DVD drive for the X-BOX 360. He's got a huge HDTV and 7.1 Dolby Surround and DTS Sound System. It's gonna be so awesome. There's even talks of a backwards compatiable HD-DVD/Blu-RAY player - which would rock!!!

Originally Posted by jrs
My brother in law is going to get the external HD-DVD drive for the X-BOX 360.
I thought that came with the new x box.

He's got a huge HDTV and 7.1 Dolby Surround and DTS Sound System. It's gonna be so awesome.
I got a feeling you'll be spending plenty of nights over at your brother in laws.

There's even talks of a backwards compatiable HD-DVD/Blu-RAY player - which would rock!!!
You mean able to play regular dvds right? I thought they were expected to do that. If they didnt I'd be surprised. Or am I misunderstanding you here?

Originally Posted by Escape
I thought that came with the new x box.
Nope. They are releasing an external componant (sp.) later this year.

I got a feeling you'll be spending plenty of nights over at your brother in laws. .
I'm moving to Arizona with him and my sister the end of August so yeah....plenty of time.

You mean able to play regular dvds right? I thought they were expected to do that. If they didnt I'd be surprised. Or am I misunderstanding you here?
I mean a player that is backward compatable with both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Although regular DVDs will also be able to be played in it as well.

Originally Posted by jrs
Nope. They are releasing an external componant (sp.) later this year.
Hmm ok. Thought for sure the HD dvds were gonna play without adding anything to it. I wonder now if they could have pulled that off without this new component. Perhaps another way to get more money. Just like that, you need a remote control to play the dvds on their last box. I dunno though.

I'm moving to Arizona with him and my sister the end of August so yeah....plenty of time.
Cool, i've always wanted to see Arizona.

I mean a player that is backward compatable with both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Although regular DVDs will also be able to be played in it as well.
Ahh ok. I wonder how both companies allowed that to be manufactured, seeing as they want to knock the other off the market. Or perhaps they have no power over how dvd players can be created even if to play specially made HD dvds. Just like the thousands of names of dvd players already out there playing dvds although those seem to all be regular average joe manufactured discs.

Originally Posted by jrs
The X-Box 360 comes with a remote.
Yeah I meant the last one. Will this at least play regular dvds without the add on?

Yeah I meant the last one. Will this at least play regular dvds without the add on?
No. The add on will play DVDs and HD-DVDs. X-BOX 360s were NOT built with a DVD drive inside.

You ready? You look ready.
HD-DVD really isn't as great as Blu-Ray. If you compare the two you'll notice why. Not with quality but with extra features and capabilities. More then likely, Blu-Ray will win. All because of the damn piracy protection. Movie companies like that, and HD-DVD ain't got nothing on Blu-Ray when it comes to that.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Originally Posted by jrs
No. The add on will play DVDs and HD-DVDs. X-BOX 360s were NOT built with a DVD drive inside.
DVDs can be watched on the 360 without the external component. The internal drive is either a hitachi or samsung DVD drive on the XBOX 360, depending on how old or new your 360 unit is. Regardless of which drive is in there, they all play games and DVD movies.
"You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory."

-
Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore

Originally Posted by NapalmInTheMorning
...depending on how old or new your 360 unit is.
Going back just now to an article I read in Home Media Retailing, it was stated that there will no internal DVD drives in future systems. So you are right in the way that X-Box 360s (older ones) do play DVDs.

Though HD-DVDs can not be played on older X-BOX 360s.

Originally Posted by jrs
Going back just now to an article I read in Home Media Retailing, it was stated that there will no internal DVD drives in future systems. So you are right in the way that X-Box 360s (older ones) do play DVDs.

Though HD-DVDs can not be played on older X-BOX 360s.
That is crap then really. They made them so they could play dvds first (not HD of course), yet now the newer models wont unless you have the expansion unit that plays both. I call bullsh*t on Microsoft.

That is crap then really. They made them so they could play dvds first (not HD of course), yet now the newer models wont unless you have the expansion unit that plays both. I call bullsh*t on Microsoft.
No, the new models will come with a HD-DVD drive.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by John McClane
HD-DVD really isn't as great as Blu-Ray. If you compare the two you'll notice why. Not with quality but with extra features and capabilities. More then likely, Blu-Ray will win. All because of the damn piracy protection. Movie companies like that, and HD-DVD ain't got nothing on Blu-Ray when it comes to that.
No I'm afraid you are wrong both formats will use HDCP, if the studio decides to use it on the disc, which is the reason why component connections are not really compatible with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.

Blu Ray and HD-DVD differ in the manufacturing process. The results are Blu-Ray has much more disc capacity but it is also more expensive.

The factories churning out DVDs at the moment can easily be upgraded to produce HD-DVDs and for not much money. The same can't be said about Blu-Ray. Also, there has been discussion over a player that can handle both formats.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by jrs
My brother in law is going to get the external HD-DVD drive for the X-BOX 360. He's got a huge HDTV and 7.1 Dolby Surround and DTS Sound System. It's gonna be so awesome. There's even talks of a backwards compatiable HD-DVD/Blu-RAY player - which would rock!!!
Dolby and DTS do not use 7.1 channels.

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
No I'm afraid you are wrong both formats will use HDCP, if the studio decides to use it on the disc, which is the reason why component connections are not really compatible with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.

Blu Ray and HD-DVD differ in the manufacturing process. The results are Blu-Ray has much more disc capacity but it is also more expensive.

The factories churning out DVDs at the moment can easily be upgraded to produce HD-DVDs and for not much money. The same can't be said about Blu-Ray. Also, there has been discussion over a player that can handle both formats.
Blu-Ray DVDs are cheaper then HD-DVD on the market and they also offer a lot more interactivity with their menus. But yes, I was wrong about the copy protection.

Blu-ray does do a lot, but you have to remember, HD-DVD is backed by Microsoft. You never know what kind of money they are gonna throw into the ring. And if HD-DVD wins, their XBOX 360 will probably win, with the Playstation 3 using Blu-Ray. Expect them to be a big factor in the war.

There are rumors that talks between the Blu-ray and HD-DVD camps are still going on to get a unified format, but they have talked and stopped and talked and stopped many times before. And now that Ricoh has made a laser that will read DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray universally, you never know what will happen.